cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

Vanquish
I Plan to Stick Around

@indcarnage

Do you find the phone too big at all? That was one of the things that kinda irritated me, I liked the size of the regular GS2 at 4.3.

jacobharasimo
I Plan to Stick Around

The upgrade is kinda  grey area. the general concept is like this. the manufacture works with google to makes the generic ice cream sandwitch upgrade for each device. then it gets released to the carrier (rogers) and rogers customizes it with bloatware and crap and releases it to the device if they choose.

So its a multi-stage thing. however given that android is opensource i would advice you root yoru phone and then watch xda-developers as they will have the generic samsung rom (usually nordic) posted for manual update to rooted phones shortly after its released... that was how it went for the origional rogers Samsung Galaxy Captivate... i had the 2.3 Update WAY before rogers aproved it.

Is that the screen line problem I've read about in the first picture?  It appears to be very noticeable right at the top of the screen where purple background is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92755703@N00/sets/72157628055179268/

big_raji
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone have a problem at their Rogers store doing the hardware upgrade? The store I went to insisted that I couldn't take the phone unless I gave up my existing plan and signed up with a new plan. I was incredibly pissed, and left empty handed.

I called Rogers customer service, and ended up talking to someone with an american accent that insisted on calling every phone an iPhone. She also said my voice plan was incompatible, and I needed to get a new plan. Apparently, my data plan was fine.

She also kept asking me if I wanted an "HTC iPhone or a Samsung iPhone" and stupid stuff like that. 

FYI, I pay $45 for unlimited North America talk/text 24/7 and $30 for 6gb data, so there's no way I'm giving that up for any hardware upgrade.

splashdown
I Plan to Stick Around
This issue has been addressed here before and I believe the response was that you could keep your exiting plan, but would not be "LTE Enabled."

big_raji
I've Been Here Awhile
I think I may be a special case, since I have a grandfathered voice plan from the 90's.

lillady
I Plan to Stick Around

drummergurl21 - I'm here too!  I guess there's only a couple of us girls that are waiting for this phone!

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Don't forget, that the folks at rogers view every customer contact as a potential sales opportunity.  They will almost always try to "upgrade" you service plan.

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@lillady wrote:

drummergurl21 - I'm here too!  I guess there's only a couple of us girls that are waiting for this phone!

.....It's usually they guys that are waiting....not the girls 🙂

soondai14
I Plan to Stick Around

has anyone else got the phone yet?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I really doubt anyone else would. The only way some would if the stores got the shipment yesterday. Other then that they need to wait for it till Monday or Tuesday.

I called around 38 Rogers plus stores here in the Toronto & around Ontario & only 1 store had it but they got sold out.

Pogal_2000
I Plan to Stick Around

I was also curious to see if any of the phones actually showed up in any stores today.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I really doubt Rogers paid to do the Saturday Delivery. I called the only store in Toronto that gets more shipments then any store here & they told me that they are not getting any shipments for any phones today & to try on Monday. ( its the one underneath the Rogers tower at bloor.

soondai14
I Plan to Stick Around

yea i doubt that too. i only called one store but it was funny how the lady confidently said they will receive the phone on nov 15.

why can't they just say they have no idea other then giving me BS

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Honestly tho the reps need to stop lying & stop saying things out of their asses. If they know nothing about launch or when they will get shipment then do not say anything. Simple right? yes, but they choice to say things that are wrong. I really am wondering why are they even working if they are just going to lie to us.

zombiejc
I Plan to Stick Around
It's human nature to not look like an idiot, and know what you're talking about, I would envy a Rogers rep right now, dealing with all the iPhone issues and this s2 debacle, it's not their fault that Rogers isn't giving then any insight into what's going on when they're being inundated with questions they don't have the answers to.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I know but at least if they know nothing about the release day or when they will get them, then do not say anything you know? Its only fair. They tell costumers different things instead of saying " sorry we do not know when we will get them"

gfch
I've Been Around

There is no such thing as a "LTE plan"

There is a "Blackberry Data" plan and and there is a "Smartphone" data plan. There is NO iPhone plan. That would akin to saying there is a LG plan or a SONY plan. How many of you have one of those?

BB uses data differently and is therefore handled differently back at Rogers HQ.

A smartphone will work on a BB plan but you may experience some difficulties. For instance, if you are one of the unforntunate ones who own an iPhone and try using a BB plan you will have difficulty sending and recieiving emails.

Whereas a BB will not work on a smartphone plan.

I should add this relates to Data only.

Its simply a matter of telling Rogers "I got a new phone and I need to switch to a xxxx Data plan". That's it.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

I have a Blackberry 6GB plan & it works just fine on my iPhone 4S & HTC Raider...

You can use the Blackberry Data plan on any phone out there. BUT you can not use a normal smartphone plan on a blackberry... Blackberries use something called " Blackberry Internet Services" aka BIS.

The LTE data plans are the same as what we have. They are just charging us more for it since LTE uses more data for higher speeds on the internet. That is all. Its a money grabbing things from all the Carriers that have it. LTE is only good if you are a kid & can not wait for a 2-3 seconds to load the page on a normal 4G speed. Also think about this. LTE is fast yes but you never get the speeds the carriers claim you will.

NatX
I Plan to Stick Around

LTE will also theoretically provide reduced network latency. Which is usefull for all kinds of things like networked games.

zombiejc
I Plan to Stick Around
Of course you're never gonna get full speeds quoted it's like that with everything, you're still getting much higher speeds than anything else especially upload speeds. But I don't really see the need for from a mobile perspective, gaming on mobile devices just isn't the same as computer or console gaming, if a game I'm playing on my mobile losses connection I don't really care not that committed or serious about mobile gaming