cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

amsid
I Plan to Stick Around

@Pierced wrote:

As long as you're not "holding" your breath for the phone to arrive any time soon, I'd hold on to what you do have and breathe a little that you have something at least unlike the rest of us.

Eh I'd rather not have buyer's remorse though... especially since there's a 30-minute talk time limit on whether or not i can return this phone. AND on top of that the data has stopped working for all Raiders. This shiet is dumb, yes, but if i'm not gonna get another phone for 2+ years (i'm a student and i'm broke) i'd rather wait for the one i want (SGS2) and be comfortable.

i can like for a few more week with this 3GS. only question now is... do i reserve my SGS2 or wait for it to be available in store

amit916
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone get any notification for shipping? A whole lot of "in progress" and not enough concrete information.

Pierced
I Plan to Stick Around

@amsid wrote:

@Pierced wrote:

As long as you're not "holding" your breath for the phone to arrive any time soon, I'd hold on to what you do have and breathe a little that you have something at least unlike the rest of us.

Eh I'd rather not have buyer's remorse though... especially since there's a 30-minute talk time limit on whether or not i can return this phone. AND on top of that the data has stopped working for all Raiders. This shiet is dumb, yes, but if i'm not gonna get another phone for 2+ years (i'm a student and i'm broke) i'd rather wait for the one i want (SGS2) and be comfortable.

i can like for a few more week with this 3GS. only question now is... do i reserve my SGS2 or wait for it to be available in store

Will most likely be in store at the same time...in the GTA at least. I hear ya on waiting for the best phone to use over a full contract. Better to wait for S2 so you don;t have regrets. My contract is up in February and my BB has been acting up for a year and I refuse to buy a phone outright during my contract. In the past two weeks, I have to reset the phone by taking out the battery 3 times a day at least...pathetic. That's just how it is, haha! I want the S2 to last me for this new contract if I can help it so that's why I'm waiting...veeery patiently. Good luck with your decision.

wow from 517 to progress. nice. how long will it be in progress now lol.

Pierced
I Plan to Stick Around
I told you Rogers that if you did your Due Diligence and update us at least, people would walk away and stop fueling so much hatred toward your company...this is a dead-zone right now. Good job! Please don't screw the next phase up or an uprising will ensue for sure!

Pierced
I Plan to Stick Around

@Pierced wrote:
I told you Rogers that if you did your Due Diligence and update us at least, people would walk away and stop fueling so much hatred toward your company...this is a dead-zone right now. Good job! Please don't screw the next phase up or an uprising will ensue for sure!

Am I right, or was that premature...

jackferret
I Plan to Stick Around

Just noticed that the sg2 is shown on the wireless page on rogers.com now. Anyone know how long it has been up for? Shows as for sale as far as I can see, just not where to get it. Haha!

NatX
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been lurking and posting here for the last couple of weeks and have done the same as most of you and considered moving to another carrier as a sort of protest to the lack of communication. I've kept my place in line, because as far as tech toys go I've "been to the circus and seen the clowns" many times over.

I've been a Rogers customer for over ten years and have had a relatively good experience with them other than a phone rep who didn't feel it was neccessary to inform me that changing my plan was going to renew my contract, but tthat was about 9 or 10 years ago. Through those years there have been no billing errors, no service interuptions due to "system failures". I had an issue with very poor signal quality in downtown Calgary once and after spending 2 hours on the phone, mostly on hold I was assured things would be reviewed... two weeks later there was a shiny new amp in MY office building and I could get service in the elevator! All my Telus friends were jealous.

I'm a software developer and a bit of a nerd, so as you might expect "a few" (just a few 😉 ) people come to me when they need help making decisions on tech products and services. Until now other than the bad experience with a magically renewing contract which I tell everyone about, but I temper with the note that any carrier will try that kind of BS on you at some point I've had little to nothing to complain about.

The lack of proper, adult and professional communication that has surrounded the launch of this phone on Rogers is now being added to my "conversation bank". It will be discussed in my conversations with my geeky friends as well as my non-geeky friends. I don't want to overstate my power in the world as I'm just another pleb amonsgt 7 billion other plebs, but the upper management at Rogers needs to be aware that eventhough I personally have not left Rogers the story I tell about my SGSII experience will almost definately cost them numerous other customers. Even if their only thought is "I may as well stick with who I've got now as Rogers is no better than them".

Your take away from this should be: if you hide things from your customers, your customers will think you don't respect them.

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

NatX, well said.  Your point being amplified by the fact that this forum is now on page ? and STILL no direct response from rogers?  When any Company has to rely on the Media to explain their side of the story, or lack there of...it says something about a management team that is not only unable to be proactive, but is left with their hands in their pockets and can't even react!

Pierced
I Plan to Stick Around

Remember Rogers, we're like a bunch of little, angry, disappointed mites here. You may not see us behind your big corporate walls, but leave a bunch of us together to feed long enough and we'll bring your house down!  And even though we know you can rebuild, it's still worth the effort every single time, even if it opens up your eyes just a little, to the error of your ways.

Appleseed
I'm Here A Lot

Is this version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE gorilla glass?  Is it mention anywhere?  It could be same as the Nexus... fortified glass. 

jackferret
I Plan to Stick Around

Just got off the phone with a few Rogers Plus stores in Ottawa.  Two said they are expecting shipments with [hopefully according to the rep] some sg2s in them.  Another one said they didn't expect any today but possibly tomorrow.  Looks like since the release on the website things are moving.  MobileSyrop seems to indicate the same.

shaggyskunk

@Appleseed wrote:

Is this version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE gorilla glass?  Is it mention anywhere?  It could be same as the Nexus... fortified glass. 

Yes, it's Gorilla Glass...as far as fortified...I know about fortified wine and it's called Port....goes great with a Cuban and a nice cigar as well....

My status changed from 910 (yesterday) to "in progress" (today).

Called the rogers store and the rep said I should receive a UPS email stating that the phone has arrived at the store, then I can go and get it.

My status just changed from open at position 1046 to IN PROGRESS!

shaggyskunk

@Appleseed wrote:

I would be really surprised if the Nexus did not have the same Gorrila Glass, Even the Samsung Tab, has it.  BTW, you might even be able to bake a casserole on it.....it's made by Corning.

The Nexus DOES NOT have Gorilla Glass.  Dow Corning confirmed it directly.  It was one of the deal-breakers for me on the Nexus.  

Check the Verizon forum at HowardForums - there's a Galaxy Nexus forum where someone linked to the Corning tweet on the lack of Gorilla Glass on the Nexus.

Because, seriously, how do you not use Gorilla Glass on a phone that's completely touch-screen?  There's gonna be scratches and marks all over it before it's even 6 months old.

shaggyskunk

@kvacola wrote:
My status just changed from open at position 1046 to IN PROGRESS!

That's great...one question, is there still a number as well?

Given the events leading up to today, I am not sure if rogers will still be sending out e-mails with tracking info etc?  I know the location that my phone will be delivered to, has told me that they will call when they arrive?-

amsid
I Plan to Stick Around

ALRIGHT SO I THINK I HAVE GOOD NEWS!

I just went to the Eatons Centre to return my Raider (data wasnt working, I also want the SGS2, got my full refund, etc). When i told the guy who helped me that i wanted the SGS2, he said that it might eb available TOMORROW! He said that they had a meeting in the store and they were told that shipments had left and are en route to different stores. He said to call in tomorrow afternoon and check before i make the trip to pick it up.

Don't know how far that's true but there was a second employee at the desk that overheard and confirmed. He also told me that there should be enough for both reservations and any walk-ins. He also mentioned they may keep things on the down low so that people who reserved their devices can get theirs first and then they'll update the site, etc.

Now this is A LOT of information to believe, so take it with a grain of salt. This is what i was told and i figured i'd share.

So all i can say is, if you have it reserved keep checking your status. If you're waiting for a walk-in like me, call your nearest store in the next 2 days or so

Fingers crossed!

shaggyskunk

@kvacola wrote:

The Nexus DOES NOT have Gorilla Glass.  Dow Corning confirmed it directly.  It was one of the deal-breakers for me on the Nexus.  

Check the Verizon forum at HowardForums - there's a Galaxy Nexus forum where someone linked to the Corning tweet on the lack of Gorilla Glass on the Nexus.

Because, seriously, how do you not use Gorilla Glass on a phone that's completely touch-screen?  There's gonna be scratches and marks all over it before it's even 6 months old.

Really???  It can't be because the size of the display is larger, since they use thr G.G. on the Tab.  Strange, I wonder why?

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is using fortified glass (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/27/samsung-galaxy-nexus-confirmed-to-have-fortified-glass-not-go/).   That's why i need to confirm if this is gorilla glass, because i really don't know if all Samsung Galaxy series use gorilla glass.  Rogers redboard did not mention this, but has done so for the Motorolla razor (http://redboard.rogers.com/2011/the-motorola-razr/).   I really don't want to assume...