cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

philhouse
I Plan to Stick Around

A few pages earlier, Tim said "Processor to be ARMv7 Processor rev2 (v7I), whatever that means" I have read that it is dual core snapdragon and not exynos

westcoastgeek
I Plan to Stick Around

Doesn't tell us much as there are many variants of the ARMv7 Processor rev2 (v7I) out there all with different clock speeds etc.

I am tempted to look at the Motorola as it will have bluetooth 4.0 which is very cool.

Another reason I wanted the Galaxy S2 over the NExus is the ability to add micro sd cards to boost storage. I like to stor a lot of maps for hiking and flying etc , but when on the road traveling it would be great to just pop in a new card full of all my music without using up the phones built in memory.

When is the S2 LTE available in Toronto? does it have an led indicator, the lack of one was the ONLY thing i dont like about my captivate.

cor315
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm a little confused about which version of SGS2 rogers is shipping.  If you look on redboard there's a picture of someone holding the S2 that rogers is shipping Here but if you do a search for SGS2 LTE it shows this version Here.

I can't find an LTE enabled S2 that looks like the one displayed in the first picture.  Does rogers have some new GS2 that hasn't come out yet or something?

Am I missing something?

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@cor315 wrote:

I'm a little confused about which version of SGS2 rogers is shipping.  If you look on redboard there's a picture of someone holding the S2 that rogers is shipping Here but if you do a search for SGS2 LTE it shows this version Here.

I can't find an LTE enabled S2 that looks like the one displayed in the first picture.  Does rogers have some new GS2 that hasn't come out yet or something?

Am I missing something?

I am certain that the second phot is NOT what rogers is shipping...the 1st photo is the correct one.

shaggyskunk

Well, other then Brian & our own Tim, most are still waiting for their SG2, but hold on...what's THIS?  A GS 3 is coming down the pipe!  http://icecream-sandwich-android.blogspot.com/2011/10/samsung-galaxy-s3-was-kommt-nach-dem.html  the site is in German, but I am sure 99.999% can figure out how to translate it...

Check out the specs on the gs 3...looks pretty sweet....figuring out those early cancellation fees, or maybe just a lost or stolen phone...shyte happens.

There is a rumor that rogers has thoughtfully come up with a reservation site, well, for placing your name on a list to be eligible to place your name on another list, where you can then wait to pay your money to make a reservation, with no reservations.

cor315
I Plan to Stick Around

@shaggyskunk wrote:

@cor315 wrote:

Am I missing something?

I am certain that the second phot is NOT what rogers is shipping...the 1st photo is the correct one.

Yeah I totally agree but try to look for LTE version that looks like that phone.  You won't be able to find it.  The only one that looks like that one is the AT&T version.  But it doesn't have LTE or dual-core 1.5GHz.  So did they just update that model and the sites I've been to don't know it exists yet?

shaggyskunk

While just about everyone is still waiting for ICS... Does anyone have any experience with Cyanogen Mods etc?

KG2011
I Plan to Stick Around

@shaggyskunk wrote:

Well, other then Brian & our own Tim, most are still waiting for their SG2, but hold on...what's THIS?  A GS 3 is coming down the pipe!  http://icecream-sandwich-android.blogspot.com/2011/10/samsung-galaxy-s3-was-kommt-nach-dem.html  the site is in German, but I am sure 99.999% can figure out how to translate it...

Check out the specs on the gs 3...looks pretty sweet....figuring out those early cancellation fees, or maybe just a lost or stolen phone...shyte happens.

There is a rumor that rogers has thoughtfully come up with a reservation site, well, for placing your name on a list to be eligible to place your name on another list, where you can then wait to pay your money to make a reservation, with no reservations.

Those are some great specs, I'm grabbing the Galaxy Nexus now, before waiting another year for the next great phone to come out.  There's always something new coming out in the next 6 - 12 months.  At one point, you have to buy the phone, instead of playing the waiting game. 

zombiejc
I Plan to Stick Around

@cor315 wrote:

@shaggyskunk wrote:

@cor315 wrote:

Am I missing something?

Yeah I totally agree but try to look for LTE version that looks like that phone.  You won't be able to find it.  The only one that looks like that one is the AT&T version.  But it doesn't have LTE or dual-core 1.5GHz.  So did they just update that model and the sites I've been to don't know it exists yet?

There are no other LTE versions of the S2 available by any other carrier. The phone the closest resembles Rogers version is what T-mobile offers and it has the 4 button set up as well.

hork42
I've Been Around
Looking into cases for this phone. Even though the specs may vary from other S2 models, would the exterior design and dimensions be the same, where I could buy any case designed for "S2"?

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@KG2011 wrote:

Those are some great specs, I'm grabbing the Galaxy Nexus now, before waiting another year for the next great phone to come out.  There's always something new coming out in the next 6 - 12 months.  At one point, you have to buy the phone, instead of playing the waiting game. 

It will always be thus.  If you wait for the "ultimate" product you'll NEVER buy.  There will always be something better just around the corner. And I'd set the window at 30 - 60 DAYS.

Vanquish
I Plan to Stick Around

@jckelly, that is so true.

Rogers is just getting aroung to releasing the GS2, meanwhile the nexus is said to come out in the near futur, the specs on both seem similar enough, but i'm still deciding which one i want.

I think rogers really dropped the ball on this one.

shortydm11
I Plan to Stick Around

Just wondering if anyone else has had their samsung gs2 shipped out yet???

******* Edit labels ********

shaggyskunk

@Vanquish wrote:

@jckelly, that is so true.

Rogers is just getting around to releasing the GS2, meanwhile the nexus is said to come out in the near future, the specs on both seem similar enough, but I'm still deciding which one i want.

I think rogers really dropped the ball on this one.

I am not 100% certain on this!!  But have read (somewhere) that that google does not let it's partners ie; rogers. mess around with the ROM, so the version of Gingerbread is supposed to have less "boat-ware" installed by the carriers.  I really don't know if this hold true as much in Canada as it might in the States?

There are companies, such as Caynogen that offer "updated" versions of 2.3 and 4.0 (ICS), but do this at your own peril!  Do a search for Caynogen and I am sure that there are others...I don't know if the procedure is reversible, but regardless, I would assume that your warranty is toast!! 

mvasili
I Plan to Stick Around

Doesn't sound like it. I'm 24 in the queue and still nothing.

It sounds like they have released less than 10 of them across canada.

westcoastgeek
I Plan to Stick Around

Usually the process is 100% reversible when you do mods, so that if you dont like what you got , you can reload the Rogers stock software and that way if something does require warranty attention you can just reload back to factory original if you have the files and deal with the warranty issue. It's not really for the feint at heart though.

It would be great if someone that actually has a Rogers S2 , could tell us the exact processor onboard. I am either going to get the S2 or the Motorola Razr which Rogers has esclusivity on for the launch. Still deciding.

im 541 lol

Heres some numbers copied from the MOTODEV site on various processors and their phones. All of these results will make for smooth operation but for the best in graphics its the Samsung SII with the APQ8060 processor or the iphone 4s.

1. A5 + SGX543-MP2 (iPhone 4S) — GLBenchmark 2.1 Pro Standard @ 2971 (720p)
2. Exynos 4210 + Mali 400 MP (Galaxy Note) = GLBenchmark 2.1 Pro Standard @ 2560 (720p)
3. OMAP 4460 + SGX540 (Galaxy Nexus) = GLBenchmark 2.1 Pro Standard @ 2079 (720p)
4. S3 MSM8660 + Adreno 220 (Galaxy SII HD LTE) = GLBenchmark 2.1 Pro @ 1630 (720p)

5. S3 APQ8060 + Adreno 220 (Galaxy SII) — GLBenchmark 2.1 Pro Standard @ 2993 (480p)

As you can see even the more powerful Galaxy SII HD LTE is no match for the Galaxy Nexus, but the Galaxy Nexus is almost 50% as powerful as the iPhone 4S, seeing that has 2-processors instead of 1-processor in the GPU.

KG2011
I Plan to Stick Around

@jckelly wrote:
It will always be thus.  If you wait for the "ultimate" product you'll NEVER buy.  There will always be something better just around the corner. And I'd set the window at 30 - 60 DAYS.

I agree, I was being generous with the 6 - 12 months statement, since that's how long it takes Rogers to get us the latest phones. LOL.  Case and point the Galaxy S2.  I sure hope the rep I spoke with really knew what he was talking about when he told me the Galaxy Nexus will be available AT launch. 

The Nexus has a much better screen resolution.  ( 720p vs.   480x800 ) a better CPU + GPU, ICS 4.0, and the pure Google experience.  5mp vs 8mp is a meaningless spec, since no one I know prints 16 x 20 photos from their phone.  Plus, most importantly, there's no LTE where I live, so I really don't need to pay extra for a service I won't use. HSPA+ is good enough for me. 

shaggyskunk

It's not always about the numbers,  some time the numbers only tell part of the story...i't what you actually see that is important.