cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

drummergurl21
I Plan to Stick Around

why are people talking about the SGS2 being cancelled?

has there been anything about a cancellation, besides the knowing nothing about the release date?

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The problem is...no one knows what is going on @ rogers.  Unlike the updates for the iphone and just about anything else, there is no information about the gs2 at all.  I don't think that the gs2 has been cancelled, but who knows...it might be replaced by the nexus???

zombiejc
I Plan to Stick Around

I really doubt it's been cancelled, they will have the razr, S2 and nexus all by the end of the year. The issue here is that rogers just isn't answering any of our pleas for the tinniest bit of information that they promised us when they launched their Lte network. We would just like a small fraction of the focus afforded to Apple customers.

Pierced
I Plan to Stick Around

The S2 seems better than any upcoming phone overall and the user can replace the battery unlike the RAZR. If it means waiting to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich in a couple of months (probably by the time we get the flippin phone) since any Android device with 2.3 or greater will be able to upgrade, I'd still rather have the S2. But the S2 most likely won't have NFC like the Nexus but by the time NFC is fully up and running in stores, will be longer than 3 years I imagine so no biggie for what I plan on using it for...I'd just love to put all of my payment and points cards on one device and scrap the Costanza wallet once and for all, haha.

drummergurl21
I Plan to Stick Around

im with ya on that!

i think im gonna stick with the s2....ive fallen in love with that phone since it was first announced by samsung....before it became the number one android phone

i would never get the razr as im not a fan of motorola in general...

but i am a little stuck between the s2 and the nexus

the thing i love about the nexus is the time-lapse camera and the no shakiness camera

the new camera has really cool features, which brings me to my question:

is the new camera look and the features included with it (time-lapse, panaroma, etc) included just with the nexus or is it a part of Icecream Sandwhich in general? for some reason I cant think if its a hardware thing or a software thing........ : \

Pierced
I Plan to Stick Around

I assume the OS update to ICS would allow for all the new ICS camera app features but the hardware is what it is, therefore lag time for S2 would remain the same?

saadgh
I Plan to Stick Around
rogers will not cancel the s2 and it will be delayed until mid of November or even before Christmas all of that because of the iphone, we will see in mid November bell will release the galaxy nexus and we will watch them like a stupid customers!!!

saadgh
I Plan to Stick Around
I went to squareone mall and the silly thin that rogers store has a big sign the rogers have the fastest network and its available NOW!!! I went inside the store and I asked the guy if they have any LTE devices he said no we don't its coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have enough of that soon
rogers of you don't have any LTE device why you put your silly sign out side your store if you say available NOW! !! Where it is!!! Can any rogers rep answer my question! !!!!!!

saadgh
I Plan to Stick Around
This is my first and last experience with rogers I regret because I am with rogers first the said the HTC tab will be available on the 18 where is this tablet!!! What is going on!!!!!? I guess we will not get the s2 until rogers fish selling the crappy iphone first and this will be Soooooon in January 2012 thank you rogers

mbazdell

@saadgh wrote:
I went to squareone mall and the silly thin that rogers store has a big sign the rogers have the fastest network and its available NOW!!! I went inside the store and I asked the guy if they have any LTE devices he said no we don't its coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have enough of that soon
rogers of you don't have any LTE device why you put your silly sign out side your store if you say available NOW! !! Where it is!!! Can any rogers rep answer my question! !!!!!!

In fairness, they do have the USB Rocket Stick that is LTE. Also if you go here http://www.rogerslte.com/new-lte-devices#htctablet you can order the HTC tablet. So, yes they do have LTE devices.. Just not any anybody would use.

mbazdell

@Pierced wrote:

I assume the OS update to ICS would allow for all the new ICS camera app features but the hardware is what it is, therefore lag time for S2 would remain the same?

I was thinking about this earlier too. The camera and the gpu is different. So it really depends on the drivers and the model of SGS2 you have. Perhaps ICS camera speed would match, but I doubt it. I'm even skeptical about ICS coming to the SGS2 series now because of the 720p resolution the Galaxy Nexus has and all other devices that are immediately slated for ICS early 2012.

drummergurl21
I Plan to Stick Around

well, the tablet is available...if you go to the lte website its under the "devices available now" section....whereas the section that says devices coming soon list the sgs2.....i dont get why they didnt put that the tablet is available on their main website

i find this a little weird....although, the iphone is up there and has been for a while, furthering my hypothesis that they are under strict orders from apple.....

so ya, im assuming if you went to a rogers store they would have the tablet.....?

anyone wanna confirm?

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around
Dear Rogers,

I’m struggling to get my mind around your business model, maybe you can help me understand.

You are apparently cash strapped and have had to ask your customers for a $40 deposit to reserve a smartphone through your online reservation system.  You have collected over $40,000 from those wishing to purchase the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE alone.  Samsung Canada, according to reports, has this product in stock and is waiting for your order - they are ready to ship today.  What’s the holdup?

Samsung and Google jointly announced the much anticipated Galaxy Nexus on Tuesday evening.  Many of your customers watched the event live.  The phone will be available in November.  Google says that’s true even in Canada.  We all know that doesn’t necessarily mean Rogers will have it, but why not tell us one way or the other?  We’ve certainly asked.  We’ve begged. We’ve pleaded. We’ve cajoled. And we’ve been met with silence.  Why the secrecy?  The product is announced.  It’s been publicly demonstrated.  Demand is high and you’re trying desperately to kill it.  Or so it seems.

You’re a difficult company to deal with and a harder one to like.  Ignoring your customers is doing nothing to change that.

Here’s a suggestion that won’t cost you anything.  Swap your staff around.  Put your collections staff into customer service.  They know how to followup.  When I was late with a payment they called and/or texted my employees, my wife, my children, my brother’s children, and my mother - an Alzheimer's patient in a long term care home.  Hint: Don’t use the one that told me, several years ago when you owed me money, that “we have 3 million customers” and that you don’t have to pay your bills on time.

Sincerely,

Cavan Kelly

shaggyskunk

Excellant comments Mr. Kelly!!!  I hope that someone, anyone at rogers takes your comments to their boss' boss!

I did recieve some small, perhaps even empty response to my comment on rogers' redboard yesterday....after I made the comments, there was a message saying "awaiting moderator approval".  Well the good news is...some one must have read it, seeing as how it did NOT receive approval!!  Way to go rogers...stifle those voices of dissention, good on ya!!  While you are at it rogers...just keep pretending that there is no problem, and respond to any complaints with "that is the first time we hear of that", keep your customers in the dark long enough....and you may just have to use that $40,000+ to pay Hydro, so that you won't be left in the dark too!

cdgrant
I've Been Here Awhile

It's quite disheartening to see such obvious ignoring of customers by rogers in regards to androids, anything to make apple happy it seems. I actually just renewed another 3 year term with rogers last night to get in on the 6gb data plan and other than their android shenanigans they're probably the best of the big players in Canada. May have been an unwise decision as intend to get the s2 myself but at this rate it looks as though they've won the battle vs me and may force me into choosing a subpar competitor to the iCult.

shortydm11
I Plan to Stick Around
Cavan Kelly.....I really hoped you emailed that to them in customer support. great letter

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@shortydm11 wrote:
Cavan Kelly.....I really hoped you emailed that to them in customer support. great letter

I'd love to be able to email them but can't find an address, at least not one that I've ever been able to get a response from.  I don't think they answer customer concerns at all.  They have a form that wants all kinds of info (like my birthdate) and, having once been an identity theft victim, I don't hand that stuff out willy-nilly.  I don't know why they need my birthdate to accept an email from me.

I'll try regular mail and will post any response here.  Please don't hold your breath waiting.

pklungel
I've Been Here Awhile

So 3 days ago I was at #1062 in line for the SGS2 LTE ... now I'm at #987.  They're obviously getting cancelled reservations; current rate is 25 cancellations per day.

Rogers just needs to give us a firm date for availability of this phone!  Why is that so difficult?  And why no mention of the phone (even as a "coming soon") on the main Rogers page?  A casual researcher would have no idea that the SGS2 LTE is going to be available.  If it's been mentioned on Redboard, shouldn't it also be on rogers.com?

Weird marketing.  Incomprehensible.  Watch those cancellations continue!

allo
I Plan to Stick Around

It seems these companies don't really care about customers at all.

I think it's time we refer a Star Investigation/ Globe & Mail Reference into this matter, that's the only way to get these corporation to "do something about it". As long as there is a reference to public media, they can't simply standby and do nothing.

With reference to note by Cavan Kelly, I believe it will be a strong valid point.

Unlikely for most of you, I am not one to ever sign a contract for any number of terms. I can't just give my business to a non-customer-focused company. I have a good plan that I currently have on month to month basis.

The only reason I used the reservation system to ensure that I can get the device. As the day passes by, I hope they can approve in Korea the S2 LTE HD version, so, I can get it from a Korean friend of mine, unlocked.

I don't understand why Rogers can't simply do the same thing with iPhone 4S release. Why ignore the "android" customers to focus on iPhone 4S.

If there was only a scoop of insider marketing trend (a.k.a focus on iPhone, ignore other manufactuers), and if this goes public, Rogers would be questionable.

Arkham
I Plan to Stick Around

@zombiejc wrote:

@Dave112 wrote:

can any one tell me which phone is going to be better the Samsung Galaxy S2 or the samsung Galaxy Nexus???

and what is the difference between the Super AMOLED plus display on the Galaxy S2 and the  HD Super AMOLED display on the Galaxy Nexus???

The HD AMOLED has a 1280-800 resolution, so it's just a higher resolution and dpi than the plus. The Nexus will be the better phone, depending on what you are looking for, obviously the screen is better and it will also be on ice cream sandwich. The phone is bigger though, and some alrady feel the S2 is already bug for some people.

And the HD AMOLED is reportedly a pentile display (with subpixels) like the original SAMOLED screens (e.g. Captivate).  This isn't 100%, but that's the word on the tech forums/blogs.

shaggyskunk
Even Telus has the gs2 on their front page