cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

polishpat
I Plan to Stick Around

The reason why there is no release date with the LTE version is because they are strugguling to get a good reliability with text, calls and Data on LTE. This is the reason also Rogers will be the first and ONLY company in 2011 to get the GS2 LTE, their network infrastructure is up and running at 50% and does not have the huge traffic AT&T in the USA does. No carrier in the world can provide a good reliable constant LTE connection...as of now, Europe, which was previously out of our league in telecommunications are now wayyyyy back. I have a source (who turn out to be in purchasing department for AT&T) that was at IFA in germany a few days ago and at the time when Rogers and AT&T were one, he was the director of purchasing. In any case, he spoke a Samsung rep and they confirmed that the GS2 has some software issues and the phone is already in production but until the issues are resolved they cannot and will not give any release information. They said that originally, the GS2 was set to launch jointly with LTE in Toronto but that is now very vague and their goal is to launch by mid-october.

Again, this matter evolves very fast and can be delayed again just like it can be launching at its original sept 28th goal. The samsung rep said that if we really want to know exactly whats happening without waiting for any official release, he said to check the evolution in Android version, to carefully watch the version logs and to watch out for any changes that look like this: "LTE adjustments" "LTE tweaks" or any changed that could hint the advancements of the LTE problems with the phone.

Until then, we can all hope and wait we wont have to wait long, I've had all the iPhones since the original one, and i'm not even giving the Iphone  a chance. Maybe it will be slick and nice and have cool features, but Apple's closed mind, stupid policies and SandBox developping grounds make that phone a waste of technology.

pontiacgagt
I Plan to Stick Around

Specs have been updated

Samsung Galaxy S II LTE

• AWS for connectivity on the Rogers LTE network
  • Tri-band HSPA+/Quad-band EDGE for connectivity on the Rogers 4G HSPA+ network and international roaming
  • Dual-core 1.5 GHz processor
  • 4.5” WVGA Super AMOLED Plus touchscreen (480x800)
  • Android 2.3 operating system
  • 1GB RAM; 16GB internal memory
  • 8MP rear camera with flash, 2MP front facing camera

Jadis
I Plan to Stick Around

polishpat really rexplain what's Rogers's behaviors.  How Roger conduct these is really annoying.

But I really prefer that story was told by Rogers. People can accept technical issue, and somebody is really take care of that.

Until Oct... I think we already can eat icecream. Hope Roger promise to treat us icecream with this Galaxy LTE.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello everyone!

Check out the updated reservation site for the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE here: http://www.rogerslte.com/new-lte-devices/smartphone-and-tablet

Correct. Specs have been updated to include a Dual-core 1.5 GHz processor

Please tell me they haven't updated the pricing yet, or is 45$/month data plan going to be what they're charging? I'm not sure I'd agree to pay 45$ every month for the data plan even for a phone like the S2.

Give me a regular HSPA plan for 30$/month please.

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around
No the pricing has not been updated yet. Rogers has also said you can buy the S2 and use it as an HSPA phone (as long as you don't get an LTE sim card) that way you still get all the amazing specs + max HSPA speeds but you don't get LTE speeds or have to pay LTE prices. As other companies launch their LTE networks, Rogers will bring their prices down but at the moment they are the only LTE network in the nation so why would they not use high prices. My plan is to get the phone and use HSPA plan until the prices drop unless they release good LTE plans for smartphones.

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Why is Rogers changing the specs from the fast Exynos processor (1.2/3 GHz) to the much slower Tegra (1.5 GHz) and not mentioning it to anybody? The trade off of actual processor power/speed for imaginary useful LTE speed isn't worth it at all. Doesn't matter how fast the connection is if the processor can't keep up.

Shameful Rogers. **bleep** even the Bell version of the SGS2 non-lte is running the Exynos and it is only $600. So based on features alone, the Rogers version should be the same price. Sure Bell has the slower internet connection, but it has the significantly faster processor, which in actual use, is far more important.

Jadis
I Plan to Stick Around

polishpat
I Plan to Stick Around

i dont really know why its so hard to understand that rogers does not make any decisions about the specs of the phone.....Everybody here should just sit back and relax. Rogers is new to all this LTE stuff, they are the ONLY carrier in the entire world that has a LTE network that works so well even though its running at merely 20% of its maximum potential. LTE is now at around 30mb/s, its max should hover at around 150mb/s.

You guys seem to miss an important point here. Rogers are like us, when they want new stuff, they send people over to conferences like the one held in germany to talk to suppliers and see what products are available or in the making. When they feel like they are interested in something, they place an order, but until that order is in their warehouse, a lot can change on its way. Rogers will and should not release information until they are 100% certain it is true. Just talk to most people who work for rogers, they dont even have a clue a LTE GS2 exists. Only a very limited basket of people really know whats going on and what the plans are.

If you are smart, you will find ways to find information around the internet about what, where, when and how. If you people would stop complaining on forums that most admins and modos cant even answer your questions and you start to use the internet to find information, you'd know that if Rogers are opening up reservation lists it's maybe because they are planning to release the handset soon enough. Not at christmas or in 2012, but VERY SOON. Rogers will not take reservations unless they already know when the GS2 will be sent to them. Like i said in a previous post, the GS2 has software issues with LTE, these issues can be resolved by a simple OTA update or maybe even a carrier update. Even if rogers do have all the GS2's in a warehouse readu for shipping, they will not release any information on when it will be released. You guys have to understand this, and if you dont, well keep trashing, but be clear, your patience will be rewarded with an amazing phone, that only a few people on thsi planet will have and use to its potential for at least a few months. Those who are even smarter will buy 2-3 of the LTE version and sell it to the americans for 2 or 300$ more.

polishpat
I Plan to Stick Around

Buddy, you have to understand that it's not rogers' responsibility to tell people about the phone, its Samsungs'

mbazdell
"Rogers is new to all this LTE stuff, they are the ONLY carrier in the entire world that has a LTE network that works so well even though its running at merely 20% of its maximum potential"

Why would you say that? Verizon has had LTE available for months now and has nearly 1000% more coverage area than Rogers is even planning on announcing, already available.

"Rogers will not take reservations unless they already know when the GS2 will be sent to them"

Other carriers are taking pre-orders for the iPhone 5 that hasn't been announced. They can take a pre-order on anything they want. Nothing says they can't.

"Buddy, you have to understand that it's not rogers' responsibility to tell people about the phone, its Samsungs'"

Oh.... My bad. I thought Rogers was the company that I was paying the money to for the product they offer. Didn't realize it should be the manufacturer who is responsible for advertising the item and giving full details on it. I keep forgetting that when the retailer orders the hardware with certain specs, that the manufacturer will sell them something different and not tell anybody.

Arkham
I Plan to Stick Around

@mbazdell wrote:
Why is Rogers changing the specs from the fast Exynos processor (1.2/3 GHz) to the much slower Tegra (1.5 GHz) and not mentioning it to anybody? The trade off of actual processor power/speed for imaginary useful LTE speed isn't worth it at all. Doesn't matter how fast the connection is if the processor can't keep up.

Shameful Rogers. **bleep** even the Bell version of the SGS2 non-lte is running the Exynos and it is only $600. So based on features alone, the Rogers version should be the same price. Sure Bell has the slower internet connection, but it has the significantly faster processor, which in actual use, is far more important.

@it's not, everything that I've read is saying it's using an overclocked Exynos processor @ 1.5 GHz, and is not going to be one of those other variants using Tegra or Snapdragon.

But, if for some reason it's not an Exynos, I'm definitely skipping it.

ElDuderino
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers has apparently announced Sept, 28th as the release date for the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE device, according to Mobile Syrup:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/09/14/rogers-launching-lte-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-september-28th/

Strangely, Rogers Redboard is still showing a relatively-old posting from Sept. 8th about a Galaxy Tablet.

Not much coordinated effort going on wirth these annoucements, eh ?   😉

Jadis
I Plan to Stick Around

I hold different opinion. I prefer Snapdragon.

Just because GPU solution with them.

Snapdragon come with Ardeno220, this family used in handhold for long time.

Exynos come with Mali400, which ARM just bought from outside. Top performance, but trade in hot/consumption, and a little incompatible with some game. So you may heard Galaxy S2 have hot issue. Battery only for one day issue. I think problem may come from Mali.

Tegra2 have Neon issue, so very bad experience on Youtube. 

Mathieu
"Tegra2 have Neon issue, so very bad experience on Youtube. "
I have a Tegra2 Android device and I can tell you for a fact that it plays YouTube videos perfectly.

polishpat
I Plan to Stick Around

"Rogers is new to all this LTE stuff, they are the ONLY carrier in the entire world that has a LTE network that works so well even though its running at merely 20% of its maximum potential"

Why would you say that? Verizon has had LTE available for months now and has nearly 1000% more coverage area than Rogers is even planning on announcing, already available.

Instead of being a smartass and trying to be wise, you should sit back and listen to those who actually know something. LTE has NOTHING to do with coverage, it has NOTHING to do with just saying it has LTE. LTE is all about having a network that can talk, sms browser and do 20 things at the same time. Something verizon is not very good at...Rogers is the ONLY carrier in the world that has a FULLY operationnal LTE network, the only problem is that as of now, they are Throttling the connection to keep it at a low under 50mb/s because there is no need to send out the 100mb/s just yet.

"Rogers will not take reservations unless they already know when the GS2 will be sent to them"

Other carriers are taking pre-orders for the iPhone 5 that hasn't been announced. They can take a pre-order on anything they want. Nothing says they can't.

Again, you are being ignorant and are trying to be a smartass, you should just stop right now before you look ridiculous, i mean you already do, but i meant until you look stupid. There is a major difference between it "BEING OFFICIALLY ANNNOUNCED" and "BEING ANNOUNCED TO CARRIERS". If your logic was trus, the NExus Prime would be open for pre-order on rogers or carriers in the USA, but NO. Apple already knows when the iPhone 5 will be released, so do the carriers. I have a source deep inside Rogers that told me iPhone 5 training has already begun for Apple employees and Rogers tech support, the activation systems are already being setup by technicians and everything should be up and running by October 6th. Also for those of you who are insterested, Rogers employees in montreal are also starting training on the 19th of september for the LTE network, which means that LTE in montreal is imminent, this also confirms why pre-orders for the GS2 LTE are open for people in Quebec.

"Buddy, you have to understand that it's not rogers' responsibility to tell people about the phone, its Samsungs'"

Oh.... My bad. I thought Rogers was the company that I was paying the money to for the product they offer. Didn't realize it should be the manufacturer who is responsible for advertising the item and giving full details on it. I keep forgetting that when the retailer orders the hardware with certain specs, that the manufacturer will sell them something different and not tell anybody.

Last but i'm pretty sure not least, I think you are having major "reality check" issues. When you buy a PS3 or Xbox, or any other electronic, if you need support do you call up your retailer? or the manufacturer? Rogers is a SERVICE PROVIDER, in case you missed it, SERVICE PROVIDER. Rogers are retailers, they sell and distribute phones, but when it comes to support, especially on a device that has not even been released, how tha heck can you blame rogers for not giving you updates on the progress, you think they call up samsung everyday and have discussions on whats happening? No. You pay rogers to provide you with calling services, sms, data and thats IT. they dont sell phones or make em, they are a reseller, they RESELL phones for suppliers and offer services for it. So you pay Rogers for the services you get, not the hardware.

Now, stop being ignorant, wake up and learn. You still are a 18 year old kid living in mama's house who wants his phone to text his friends. The way you think it works, is not the way it works. Either you take it like a man, or you cry about it like a wuss

novocain3
I've Been Here Awhile

On the 14th @rogersElise replied to @jonb204's question:

@RogersElise I have the option to reserve the device here and I know we won't have LTE when released. Will it work on the HSPA+ network?

Her Response which was later retracted:

Yes it will. I actually just got more info - the device will be available throughout Canada as of September 28.

She said she was confused about the launch date.... but this statement also mentiones where the phone will be available.  Kinda hard to confuse LTE in a single city with a device launched "throughout Canada".  Some information she received applied to "throughout Canada".  I believe this really is the release date, but either way I think the availability WILL be nation wide based on the leaked/retracted statement.

heyme
I Plan to Stick Around

nice. i'd leave rogers for a galaxy s2. apple is an eyesore. read there terms of service. if you own one you have already violated it.

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@jckelly wrote:
On the off chance that someone from Rogers will respond... the automated response to my reservation said I would receive weekly status updates by email. I have received no such updates as we enter week 3. Has someone dropped the ball or is thee really nothing to report. Speculation breeds contempt.

Well, here we are, halfway through week four and I still haven't received my first "weekly update" that Rogers promised in their reservation confirmation message.

Still speculating.

hi guys ,

i think this is all good news i was just about to try and buy SG S2 and unlock if for the rigers network

looks like a beaytiful phone im very tired of apple

🙂

polishpat
I Plan to Stick Around

Just switched from an iPhone 4, bought the GS2 unlocked full price, i dont regret it ONE SECOND. I was tired of Apple same old 4x4 screen, broken notification system, closed policies and lack of customization options. I will get the GS2 LTE when it comes out and sell this one