cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@hgjhgjhgkjhgjhg wrote:

There are, however, different variants. For example, one of the U.S Carriers (AT&T?) is getting a Galaxy S II with a 4.2 inch screen (as opposed to 4.5). 

Some are also apparently confirmed at 1.2 Ghz while there is also info floating around about 1.5ghz. Rogers site says 1.2, so I wouldn't get too hyped about 1.5 ghz processor yet, although the 4.5' screen is apparently confirmed.

http://www.rogerslte.com/new-lte-devices/smartphone-and-tablet

Yes, the US carriers are getting the same Galaxy S II that Bell has in Canada 4.3" with 1.2Ghz dual core processor.  It is not the same as the LTE version that Rogers is getting which is 4.5" with 1.5Ghz processor (despite what Rogers claims on their site, Samsung is not releasing the Galaxy S II LTE with a 1.2Ghz processor - at least not according to their press release)

HogWildMark
I Plan to Stick Around

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_NB.Samsung-Galaxy-S-II4G/72602.details

Bell has been advertising it for a month or so now I think

Arkham
I Plan to Stick Around

@HogWildMark wrote:

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_NB.Samsung-Galaxy-S-II4G/72602.details

Bell has been advertising it for a month or so now I think

"4G" <>  LTE.

Question. May be a stupid Question,

How much is it to upgrade to the new galaxy 2, I'm had the Galaxy Captivate for just over a month.

@Darkslayer wrote:

Question. May be a stupid Question,

How much is it to upgrade to the new galaxy 2, I'm had the Galaxy Captivate for just over a month.

Two things to mention:

1.) There has been no pricing announced so no one will be able to provide that info.

2.) If you just got the Captivate a month ago then you wouldn't be eligible for upgrade. Most likely only option you would have would be to purchase the device outright (but again no prices available yet)

pcsman69
I've Been Around
I am #213 on the device reservation list. Does thast mean anything. Anyone know when the Galaxy S 2 is being released.

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@pcsman69 wrote:
I am #213 on the device reservation list. Does thast mean anything. Anyone know when the Galaxy S 2 is being released.

No one here knows when the device will be released or, if they do, they are probably a Rogers employee who isn't allowed to say.

From the Rogers Reservation System FAQ (http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?x=0&y=0&Ntt=Rogers%2FFido+Reservation+System&N=&_nfpb=true&_...😞

"By reserving a device using the Rogers Reservation System, will I get my device before everyone else?

We will be dedicating inventory towards our Reservation System orders and our goal is to get your device to you as soon as possible. However, we will also be shipping devices to stores that are not participating in the Reservation System program."

In other words, it's a quasi reservation system. There are two device pools, one for the reservation system and one to stock the stores. Your $40 buys you a place in the first pool.  How large that pool is in relation to the pool for people who couldn't be bothered getting a reservation is anyone's guess.  Why the list of people essentially putting down a deposit wouldn't be fully satisfied first is one of the great mysteries of dealing with Rogers.

I believe it was last Wednesday or Thursday that I read a post from someone who mentioned he was 1100+ on the reservation list.  Just out of curiosity I'd like to know where that list is at today.

<speculation>

It has been announced that LTE service will launch in Toronto on September 28.  If I were a betting man, that is the EARLIEST date I would expect to see the Galaxy S II LTE (I'm not betting and I hope I'm wrong)

</speculation>

Reservation #6 and anxious!

brett19
I'm Here A Lot

I believe that the Samsung Galaxy II LTE reservation list is at about 320 people.

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.

Jadis
I Plan to Stick Around

I think the 1.2/1.5 MHz may not be typo. Roger select to keep keep this topic silent.

That could be Hercules, intead of Celox.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=27601670

saadgh
I Plan to Stick Around

whatch this Rogers will bring the LTE TECHNOLOGY TO TORONTO IN SEP 2011, THE SMARTPHONE WILL BE SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 LTE, WHICH  IS BETTER THAN THE GALAXY S2 THET BELL HAVE RIGHT NOW!!! HERE IS THE feature

• Brand: Samsung
  • Model: Galaxy S2 LTE
  • Processor: 2x1.5 GHz Dual-core Samsung Orion Processor
  • Display: 4.5-inch
  • Display Type: Super AMOLED Plus
  • Battery: 1850 mAh
  • Weight: 130.5 g
  • Internal memory: 16GB
  • Camera: 8 MP
  • Video recording: 1920x1080
  • TouchWiz: 4.4
  • Data transfer: LTE, HSPA +

SEE ROGERS WEBSITE TO CONFIRM THIS INFORMATION http://www.rogerslte.com/about-lte CLICK ON LTE DEVICES

domi
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm #367 on the list.

ArjunR
I Plan to Stick Around

**rolls eyes***

Well the SGS2 is the same as all other SGS2's except it has an OC'd CPU...

If you check out XDA you will see that many other ppl have their phones clocked at an even higher speed.

So the only real difference is the LTE radio. If you need data speeds @ that price then it's a good pick up for sure.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I predict this phone is going to blow away the iPhone 5.  However only the open minded will be able to see it.

The cult member will still want the Apple.

ArjunR
I Plan to Stick Around

^**Double eye Roll***

no it wont blow away the Iphone 5.

It competes with the Iphone 4, and many will say that the Iphone 4 is the better phone...

Silly silly posters...

Holmes
I Plan to Stick Around

"Silly silly posters...

It competes with the Iphone 4, and many will say that the Iphone 4 is the better phone..."

Uhhh.. what? The iphone 4 isn't even a dual-core phone. The current Galaxy S is a direct competitor to the Iphone 4... 

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

The only question I have is "Why is the release date such a secret?"  The Galaxy S II LTE will work just fine on the existing network and LTE is already available in Ottawa.  Just start selling the phone or at least give us a date.  Also, why not clear up the confusion about the specs?  An earlier poster gave the full specs and then sends you to Rogers for verification but the post and Rogers site give differing info.  Media reports seem to agree that the SGS2 LTE will have a 1.5Ghz dual core processor but the Rogers site says 1.2Ghz.  Why not clear this up.

What about native car and desk docks?  I was elated to have found Samsung branded docs for the GS2 but they probably won't fit the LTE phone (4.3" vs. 4.5" screen) and I can't get any confirmation that there will be docks available.  Again, why the secrecy?

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

"Silly silly posters...

^**Double eye Roll***

It competes with the Iphone 4, and many will say that the Iphone 4 is the better phone..."

Actually the Samsung Captivate SII that we are talking about has a bigger screen than the iPhone, has a faster processor than the iPhone, better cameras, and about ten other features that the iPhone 4 doesn't have.   

We will see what the iPhone 5 comes up with, but I repeat my prediction, it will come up short compared to the SII.

And you prove my other point, only members of the cult will not see it.

johnnycash
I Plan to Stick Around

Silly silly Apple fanboys, the Galaxy S2 blows away the Iphone 4. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t78KfESnFE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BXWqkOexiU

Gohan22
I've Been Here Awhile

lets GO rogers release the phone already!  Stop being behind and catch up!

I`ve called Rogers a few times and they know nothing of this phone coming to Rogers.  I`ve asked them many times if there is a waiting list or if i can reserve the phone and they had no idea.  Thanks for posting that the website below

http://www.rogerslte.com/new-lte-devices/smartphone-and-tablet where i was able to reserve the phone...as of now i am number 404.

I actaully would prefer the 4.3`screen ....bigger screen means bigger phone and that is not always a good thing....its going to feel too big at 4.5`

ory
I Plan to Stick Around

ya i dont think cariers usually downgrade the manufacteres cpu frequency so in my opinion it is highly unlikely that rogers will downgrade the sgs2 lte cpu to 1.2 , you my say its for the battery life and i will say that the 1.5 ghz cpu is  already optimized for a good battery life by samsung so rogers sholdnt worry about it and after all i dont think they are allowed to downgrade it ,samsung wont allow them ,it surely is a typo and  the specs are anounced and firm so im sure we are getting the 1.5 ghz lte . waybetter than the one that bell has , cheers .....

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around
On the off chance that someone from Rogers will respond... the automated response to my reservation said I would receive weekly status updates by email. I have received no such updates as we enter week 3. Has someone dropped the ball or is thee really nothing to report. Speculation breeds contempt.