cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

timng07
I Plan to Stick Around

Just reserved mine. Bu the lady I spoke with at Rogers still doesn't have an actual release date ofr it

ee
I've Been Here Awhile
Do you know if you can you reserve at a Rogers location as well or just phone/web?

timng07
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure. I did it through web. Thye do charge you a refundable $40 fee for reserving though

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

I reserved mine online as well - I'm number 6.  $40 refundable fee as timng07 says.

From Rogers' FAQ on the reservation system (http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?x=0&y=0&Ntt=Rogers%2FFido+Reservation+System&N=&_nfpb=true&_...😞

Can I reserve a device by calling Rogers or visiting a store?

No, device reservations can only be made online through the Rogers Reservation System, which is designed for self-service.

That said, if you are friendly with your local Rogers dealer you can probably arrange to get a phone call when a non-reserved device arrives in a store - not every place with a Rogers sign out front participates in the official online reservation system.

I haven't been this excited about a device in ages.  Can't wait to lay my mitts on it!

I'm on the hunt for a car and desk docks now.

voseyvo
I'm Here A Lot

I thought I would be all about this phone when it came out.  But with the horrible upgrade frequency of Android on the Samsung Galaxy phones (whether it's Samsung's fault or Rogers'), I'm not so keen.  I mean Gingerbread has been out for months and even Bell and Telus have released it for their Samsung GS variants.

ssheane
I've Been Here Awhile

Can you get the phone if you do not live in Ottawa or Toronto?  For those who have reserved, are you in those 2 areas?

ee
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in Montreal and was able to reserve online to be shipped to a Rogers location in my area. Unknown whether or not it will be made available the same time as Ottawa/Toronto.

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@ssheane wrote:

Can you get the phone if you do not live in Ottawa or Toronto?  For those who have reserved, are you in those 2 areas?

Yes, I'm in Toronto but I don't think you need to be.  The phone is backward compatible and, living on the outskirts of Toronto myself, I doubt I'll get LTE speeds.

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@voseyvo wrote:

I thought I would be all about this phone when it came out.  But with the horrible upgrade frequency of Android on the Samsung Galaxy phones (whether it's Samsung's fault or Rogers'), I'm not so keen.  I mean Gingerbread has been out for months and even Bell and Telus have released it for their Samsung GS variants.

That is indeed a concern.  I'm currently running a Nexus One and it has indeed been a pleasure to see that I have been getting upgrades direct from Google as soon as they are ready.  I'll take the gamble this time and see how it goes.  By the time my next upgrade cycle rolls around Motorola may be a native Android shop -- and they've got some decent product too.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Now I want Hercules... the 4.5" screen version...

JJfurry
I've Been Here Awhile
I'm hoping it's just a typo & not another scam like Bell's S2 "4G", but under the specs of the new Rogers LTE page, it says it's got a 1.2 GHz processor when everywhere else they're saying 1.5 GHz... ?? Reserved mine, #20, but I hope it won't be 600 bucks...

ssheane
I've Been Here Awhile

The specs seem to be clear for the LTE - it has a bigger screen, faster processor and upgraded battery.  I do not live in Ottawa or TO but I was able to reserve one - number 90 this morning.  Hope this puts to rest some of the negative comments on this thread!

JJfurry wrote:
I'm hoping it's just a typo & not another scam like Bell's S2 "4G", but under the specs of the new Rogers LTE page, it says it's got a 1.2 GHz processor when everywhere else they're saying 1.5 GHz... ?? Reserved mine, #20, but I hope it won't be 600 bucks...

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/08/30/images-upcoming-rogers-lte-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/

"Taking a look around the GSII it seems to have the same overall specs and features as the current GSII from Bell, but has a glossy/smooth backing. In addition, the Android OS installed on this was 2.3.5 Gingerbread."

HogWildMark
I Plan to Stick Around

I 've asked about this phone on Twitter to @RogersHelps and @RogersBuzz and neither will confirm or deny that rogers will be even carrying this phone even thought they already carry the Galaxy S1.

@HogWildMark wrote:

@I 've asked about this phone on Twitter to @RogersHelps and @RogersBuzz and neither will confirm or deny that rogers will be even carrying this phone even thought they already carry the Galaxy S1.

If your referring to the S2 then it has already been confirmed; hence the pre-order everyone has been posting about.

http://www.rogerslte.com/new-lte-devices/smartphone-and-tablet

Jadis
I Plan to Stick Around

I got stuck here.

I want to update my very-very old cell phone, which use pay-as-you-go.

Want to transfer to monthly with that advanced phone.

But the reservation need an existing Roger cell number, pay-as-you-go number is not allowed.

This fall into dilemma.

jaydee77ca
I Plan to Stick Around

Can anyone confirm if the Rogers version has a 1.5 GHz processor or the 1.2 GHz?

JJfurry
I've Been Here Awhile
"Can anyone confirm if the Rogers version has a 1.5 GHz processor or the 1.2 GHz?"

Well that's the whole thing, it hasn't been officially released yet, it's just what has been "leaked" that it has a 1.5, upgraded from the S2's 1.2, but what scares me is that Bell's S2 4G isn't a real 4G phone, so if Rogers DIDN'T make a typo in saying the new LTE we're putting on hold is a 1.2, then I'm wasting my time cuz it's not the real deal. We'll have to wait for the official launch from Samsung...

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@JJfurry wrote:
"Can anyone confirm if the Rogers version has a 1.5 GHz processor or the 1.2 GHz?"

Well that's the whole thing, it hasn't been officially released yet, it's just what has been "leaked" that it has a 1.5, upgraded from the S2's 1.2, but what scares me is that Bell's S2 4G isn't a real 4G phone, so if Rogers DIDN'T make a typo in saying the new LTE we're putting on hold is a 1.2, then I'm wasting my time cuz it's not the real deal. We'll have to wait for the official launch from Samsung...

The Samsung Galaxy S II LTE hasn't merely been "leaked", it was officially announced by Samsung. It has a 1.5Ghz dual core processor.  Additionally, the phone is actually called "galaxy s ii LTE" so there can be no confusion that it is a real "4G" phone.  I realize that the carriers are all playing games about what 4G is but there is no denying that LTE is real 4G.

[Update - more complete specs]

Samsung GALAXY S II LTE specifications

Network: LTE 800/1800/2600, HSUPA+ 900/2100, EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
Processor: 1.5GHz Dual-Core
Display: 4.5″ WVGA Super AMOLED Plus
Camera: Main(Rear): 8 MP with LED Flash, Front: 2 MP
Video: Codec – MPEG4/H.263/H.264, Format – 3GPP, MPEG4, MKV, Playback -
@vga@30fps, Recording – QVGA @ 15fps
Audio: Codec – MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA,FLAC, OGG, 3.5mm Ear Jack
Connectivity: Bluetooth® technology v 3.0, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
Accelerometer, Digital Compass, Proximity
Memory: 16GB Internal memory + microSD (up to 32GB)
Size: 68.8 x 129.8 x 9.49mm, 130.5g
Battery: Li-on 1,850 mAh

hgjhgjhgkjhgjhg
I Plan to Stick Around

Jckelly,

There are, however, different variants. For example, one of the U.S Carriers (AT&T?) is getting a Galaxy S II with a 4.2 inch screen (as opposed to 4.5). 

Some are also apparently confirmed at 1.2 Ghz while there is also info floating around about 1.5ghz. Rogers site says 1.2, so I wouldn't get too hyped about 1.5 ghz processor yet, although the 4.5' screen is apparently confirmed.

http://www.rogerslte.com/new-lte-devices/smartphone-and-tablet

JJfurry
I've Been Here Awhile
JCKelly, did u not see the "" QUOTES on my "leaked", thx for the info! Second, we were talking about if Rogers had made an error on their website describing the LTE as having a 1.2 GHz as upposed to the 1.5 GHz which was "leaked" er..., sorry, ANNOUNCED....