cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor
I didn't know about the 'name display' feature and it's not working on unlocked devices because it's not a standard technology.
Such features are the very reason why it takes a long time to bring new devices to Rogers network and why it takes even longer to update them.

Other than that, I've been using unlocked smartphones on Rogers network for a while and I have no issue with it.

crazyhammer
I Plan to Stick Around

Another quick post for some Rogers rep to read. Wife has Galaxy S and loves, wants S2 and so does my father.

Father is going to Bell, happy to pay his $400 cancel fee and get S2, he needs to be able to record his calls in and out on the device. Blackberry and Iphone do not allow this. Android does hense if you need to buy Android right now S2 is king.

Wife is waiting for a few months and no luck then she will pay cancel fee and leave for Bell as well.

We could give a sh*t about cancel fees, in the long run at $100/month in lost revenue it's Rogers loss.

johnnycash
I Plan to Stick Around

Boy am I glad I found this thread. 

I was about to sign a contract with Rogers, while taking over a decent retention plan, which had a HUP available. 

My only 2 options were the Iphone 5 or HTC EVO 3D.

Now I'm having 2nd thoughts, and might just go back to bell and grab the Galaxy S2. 

Plus, I had the most frustrating day with Rogers reps today, I literally spent 4 hours talking to different reps, being  transferred to different departments, having to call back several times due to un-helpful reps.  By the end of it, I was exhausted, but finally got a somewhat happy resolution. 

One of the reps flat out told me that she had no idea why they had made such an offer to me, 'cuz it literally made no sense, and was impossible to honor, not because she didn't want to, but because according to the offer, the system isn't set up that way. 

Rogers is too exhausting to deal with, and their CSR's are really un-informed.  

I've also come to the conclusion that if a guy answers the phone, I immediately hang up and call back, they are useless in helping, put you on hold forever, and just talk pure B.S. to try and end the call.

Wish me luck with Bell, hopefully I'll be able to get my old retention plan back, or at least something worth my while.  Smiley Happy

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

Good news, sort of...

I spoke with a Rogers business rep yesterday (Friday Aug 12) and was told that both the Samsung Galaxy S II and the Droid 3 (maybe XT860?) are, in fact, coming to Rogers.  No ETA was given but soon enough that they know about it.  Apparently, SGS2 was supposed to have been out already but was delayed.  Tried to confirm through a Rogers store employee, who would tell if he knew anything, but this info was news to him.

I'm trying to decide between these two devices.  I think the Galaxy S II is probably the superior device but there are desk and, more importantly, car docks for the Droid 3.  I'd really come to appreciate the car dock for my Nexus One - just snap it in the dock and it switches to car mode, turns on bluetooth and starts charging. But, it was poorly designed and didn't last a year.  I've tried every glue I can think of but it won't withstand the tourqing of inserting the phone.  The Motorola dock appears to be much more solid.  And, of course, the Droid 3 has a keyboard, which is the only thing I've missed since leaving RIM behind.

So... opinions?

voseyvo
I'm Here A Lot

I gotta start by saying that I'm really pissed that Rogers doesn't have the Galaxy SII.  My wife has the Captivate SI and it's really a great phone (aside from the lack of update to Gingerbread so long after it's been released).  For the number one carrier in the country to not have the best Android phone (most popular OS) - there's something really wrong with that.

Now, with that being said, the SII is about to be eclipsed by a slew of new phones, supposedly in October:

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-prime-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-possibly-among-deluge-of-upcoming-s... - bigger screens, better screen resolutions, faster processors, ice cream sandwich, etc.

Come October, Rogers had better show us better Android phones because there's no way I'd even consider locking into another 3 year term with the current selection.

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

Now, with that being said, the SII is about to be eclipsed by a slew of new phones, supposedly in October:

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-prime-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-possibly-among-deluge-of-upcoming-s... - bigger screens, better screen resolutions, faster processors, ice cream sandwich, etc.

Ahh... now my post above makes perfect sense.  New phones being released in October, Rogers bringing out what by then will be outdated technology at the same time.  I should'a clued in.

Meanwhile, I've found Samsung-made car and desk docks for the Galaxy S II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRRSD3zaBM&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQz6hKZ-gDY&NR=1).  No sign of them on the Canadian site but they are listed on Samsung's UK site.

RogersGina
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

when
I've Been Around

Like most of you I am waiting for the SG II to be available from Rogers.

If they don't then I'll probably look for other options online. Has anyone bought an unlocked phone from newegg.ca? Right now the SG II is retailing for $649.99 (free shipping) but out of stock.

the post you postedwasa lie because samsung does not like to post there images of therenew phones and the release date for most of the phones one there areset to be 2012 so yes do not listen to that lnk 

dpeders2
I've Been Here Awhile

did you actually read my post?   It was regarding downloading photos FROM MY phone. Nothing more

ShadNuke
I Plan to Stick Around
The funny thing about the S2 on Rogers.... The staff at Best Buy were told the Infuse is the S2 in Canada. For awhile I was actually pissed off after heading that. Now that I know that it's a different phone all together I'm not even sure if I will get one. The S2 and the Infuse feel cheap. Like they are built with inferior parts. I don't understand how a phone that is so light can handle everyday use. I'll wait and get the Galaxy Tab 10.1 4g, unlocked of course!

novocain3
I've Been Here Awhile

You think the S2 "feel cheap" because they are "so light" and therefore are made of "inferior parts".  Even though materials like carbon fibre and Duralumin are very light and also stronger in many ways than heavier materials like glass.  
I don't see how you go from the S2 to buying a 10 inch tablet to use as a phone.... unless you never intended to use it as a phone in which case you could also consider laptops.

Arkham
I Plan to Stick Around

Looks like Samsung may be announcing an upgraded S2 next week.  Apparently it has 4.5" screen, 1.5 dual-core, LTE compatible radio, 1850mAh battery, NFC, aaaaaand... an aluminum back!

One of many links:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/26/samsung-galaxy-ii-galaxy-tab-8-9-shown-lte-ifa-week/

Hopefully this is why Rogers was waiting, so they could introduce it to kickstart their LTE program.   If so, all is forgiven. 😉

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Agreed, if they get that phone instead, I will forgive them...

Those are very nice specs.

The Galaxy S2 will probably not be carried by Rogers for the same reason why Verizon of the United States (which happens to be the largest carrier in the US) is not going to carry the Galaxy S2.  Verizon announced it today they will not carry the Galaxy S2. No reason given, other then that they have lots of Android phones to choose from.  I think it's fairly obvious to me. Apple will be releasing their iPhone 5 soon, and both Verizon and Rogers does not want a direct competitor to spoil Apple's debut. So they are offering inferior Android phones instead.  Apple must have put a lot of pressure on these carriers to not carry these phones.  There's a chance Rogers may carry the Galaxy S2, but not until the initial Apple iPhone 5 sales have been moved, and the sales excitement for iPhone5 dies down somewhat.  But that's my surmising.  Here it is, the best Android phone out there, and they won't offer it at Rogers because they want to promote the iPhone 5.  Sad, if you ask me. 

BuckMacklin

You might be right, however

"Apple must have put a lot of pressure on these carriers to not carry these phones.  "

I am pretty sure that is a serious charge.  Rogers needs to realize that Apple cannot make those kinds of monopalistic pressure deals.  

There is more money to be made from Android, and Samsung could just be the leader for the next generation.

dnavia
I Plan to Stick Around
In my opinion, Rogers is holding off for a successor to the S2. Possibly an LTE version when rogers launches the network nationally? Personally I can't wait, and with LTE around the corner, anyone that can hold off should. Once LTE hits nationally, I think we'll get phones that will blow the likes of the S2 out of the water. Of coarse this is all an opinion. No offical news from either Samsung or Rogers. Q4 begins in a few months. lets see what launches then 🙂
I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.

@BuckMacklin wrote:

You might be right, however

"Apple must have put a lot of pressure on these carriers to not carry these phones.  "

I am pretty sure that is a serious charge.  Rogers needs to realize that Apple cannot make those kinds of monopalistic pressure deals.  

There is more money to be made from Android, and Samsung could just be the leader for the next generation.

Having the exclusive on the Iphone 5 i think rogers stands to make ALOT of money from the release of that phone.  They only release new phones once a year so rogers wants to make it a big deal.  Remeber when the iphone 4 was released, it was sold out everwhere, new apple harware is like crack for the masses.  Apple muscles rogers around all the time with set prices and plans.  i thought maybe they would be turning a corner with all the android ads they have now but looks like thats a lost hope.  Their current android phone selection is the worst...and hurry up with the Gingerbread updates!!!!!!!

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor
New Apple hardware is always sold out and despite the huge success of Apple products, it's also a smart move for Apple that voluntary manage the availability of their device by releasing only a few of them every day ... like the stores were receiving new devices every day by plane from the china factory ... yeah ... right.

BuckMacklin

"Having the exclusive on the Iphone 5 i think rogers stands to make ALOT of money from the release of that phone.  "

You think that BELL is not going to get the iPhone 5?

ee
I've Been Here Awhile