cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

dewy
I've Been Here Awhile

I heard something new from my friend who lives in the states today. If you're following the lawsuit between Samsung and Apple , that might be a major reason why galaxy sII is postponed in US. If Rogers have a agreement with Apple, this reason may also works here. 

dtsean
I've Been Here Awhile

If it is true that Rogers can't get SGII because of Apple, that is just sad and bad business.

I would hope that somebody in rogers is bright enough to realize how **bleep** this idea is.

Speaking of LTE, how many of us can afford the data fee anyway? Do you need to Watch TV on public transit. I know this is happening in Korea but it is in a different setting. Also, who said LTE is 4G?? Let's be honest. 4G is a standard for the network speed, and i mind you that LTE is yet to be part of 4G. It is definitely a Pre-4G technology.

In any case, LTE and APPLE, whatever the reason is, not getting the phone most of us want is a huge mistake. I called Rogers and they told me i owe them 460 if i want to cancel (with tax of course). I can't afford LTE but i can surely afford your cancellation fee.

Best wishes to all.

Regards,

PS: i was with rogers since i got to canada in '98 (Cable/internet)

jdcabc
I Plan to Stick Around

I went to a Bell store today to try to buy the S2 outright so that I could unlock it and use it on Rogers (where I have 1 year left in my contract).  They wouldn't sell it to me without a minimum 30 day activation, which costs $50 for the month and $35 for activation. They also weren't willing to offer anything to switch me from Rogers.

Any suggestions for how to get around this?

Melly
I Plan to Stick Around
@jdcabc

you'd have to go to like a Best Buy or some other 3rd party retailer to buy it outright. However Rogers will be carrying the Samsung Galaxy Q in case you'd rather wait for something more new and the latest

jdcabc
I Plan to Stick Around

@Melly

BestBuy says that they are only selling them with three-year activations at this point, but might allow outright sales in a month or two.

Melly
I Plan to Stick Around
Really? I've bought smartphones outright from them plenty times. Most of the time they don't even ask for a reason and if they do, I just say I lost my phone. What's the point of an "outright" price if they can't sell it outright

dewy
I've Been Here Awhile

Try another bestbuy. I went there yesterday and they said that they would be able to sell it outright. I was rushed so I didn't ask if they need a 30 days minimum activation or any other charge.

Parias
I've Been Here Awhile

"However Rogers will be carrying the Samsung Galaxy Q in case you'd rather wait for something more new and the latest "

You mean this Galaxy Q?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mysterious-Samsung-Galaxy-Q-Heading-to-Rogers-212634.shtml

"However, this is not the recently rumored Galaxy Q monster with 5.3-inch display and dual-core processor that is expected to make its appearance at the 2011 IFA, in early September.

Rogers' Samsung Galaxy Q seems to be just an entry-level Android-based smartphone that will be launched once the “Back-to-School” promotion starts, along with other interesting mobile phones, including the Nokia X7 and the LG Phoenix.

Furthermore, it appears that the phone will be delivered with a mid-size 3.2-inch capacitive touchscreen and will be aimed at Android fans that use their phones as typing machines."

Melly
I Plan to Stick Around
Entry-level? Lol lame. I didn't actually read the article. Forget what I said xD

Parias
I've Been Here Awhile

Ha, all good - I was excited too until I read closer, and now I too am disappointed.

trgTyson
I've Been Around

Yeah, right now I am month to month with an old Blackberry Bold...for months I have been set on waiting for the S2 and was ready to sign on for a 3 year contract to get it at a reduced price...but now...er, not sure what I want to do.

jdcabc
I Plan to Stick Around

I was able to buy one for $599.99 at The Telephone Booth in Masonville Mall in London without any trouble.  Yay!

They also had a deal on the Samsung Galaxy Tab: $50 + 3-year term at $20/month.  So I went for that too.  Very cool.

dewy
I've Been Here Awhile

@jdabc

wow that's tempting! could you use the galaxy sII right away on Rogers network? or do you have to unlock it first? Is there any activation fee or 30 days term? What is the total price for everything included? It might be easier to buy the unlocked version directly from a Canadian online dealer if you have a budget of 700-750 bucks.

p.s.

The tab is really a deal. I wish we have Tbooth down here.

Melly
I Plan to Stick Around

@dewy

There's no catch when buying a phone outright. So it's $599.99 + whatever taxes and the phone is his. And it's not a Rogers phone so he definitely has to go get it unlocked first before being able to use it. It's easy buying a phone outright from a different carrier to unlock it and use it with your carrier, the only thing is once you unlock it, the warranty for that phone will be become voided and is no longer in the hands of the original carrier. So that's the big risk you take.

Wasnt arguing with an AT&T device, just the "You can use any unlocked GSM device with Rogers"  comment. And although it will work on EDGE most people wouldnt really see that as working to what you what expect.

I bought a galaxy s2 phone from bell yesterday.

I was able to get the master unlock code and was able to avoid paying $75 and waiting 30 days.

i have an unlocked phone now on rogers with full warrantee.

consumers threaten that warrantee is voided if you root the phone and obtain the unlock code but i have NEVER heard of anyone having their warrantee voided cause they rooted the phone... its bs

read samsungs warrantee, it says nothing about rooting the phone.  i read it yesterday.

the warrantee is with the manufactorer not the carrier.  bell just send the phone back to samsung to ger repaired, they dont fix it themselves.

the warrantee is never with the carrier...its with the manufactorer.

Melly
I Plan to Stick Around

@jojo

Well hey, I hope you're right about the warranty for your sake. Though I wouldn't speak so surely about it being BS unless you have that actual proof otherwise, so that you don't steer others who aren't as well-informed in the wrong direction. And you can't seriously expect the manufacturer's warranty to say "device's warranty will be deemed defective once rooted and unlocked" because well for one thing devices are issued to you a certain way (locked and unrooted) from the carrier for a reason and the common consumer wouldn't even know anything about unlocking and rooting a device because that's not exactly the common thing to do when you purchase a phone (from the carrier's point of view anyway). Rooting an Android is technically "hacking/modifying" the software thus making it no longer in it's original condition when sold to you and if something were to go wrong once it's rooted, it's only normal to think that it makes sense the device would no longer be covered by the warranty. For the Android users that may know everything about rooting such as you and I, it seems only normal to purchase an Android phone and to root it. But again, for the common consumer, they wouldn't have a clue of such thing so it's not exactly something to be expected to see in the "manufacturer's warranty".

But hey, what do I know about Bell's warranty. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's not like I actually asked a Bell representative for the actual facts. All I can say is, before I ever unlock or root or jailbreak a phone, whatever goes down with the phone is my problem and I've already accepted the fact beforehand that my "modified device" will no longer be covered by the original manufacturer's warranty.

logicallayer
I've Been Here Awhile

nice, thanks for the tip about bell giving 200$ credit/ phone, I might do that as well, as the only phone I want is the samsung galaxy s2 and rogers is ego tripping to think Im gonna stay with them with the collection of mid-range phones they have...or the promised pre-order high end phones which are less qualified than the sgs2. it seems rogers became of one those companies which they looking for business with people who don't know the difference between two phones with 8mp... good luck with your new customers base, Im a 6yrs customer who planing to give up on you

Here's a prime article on Samsung's performance and reference to why they did so well this quarter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-24/samsung-may-have-surpassed-nokia-apple-in-second-quarter-sm...

Rogers, as a Telus customer for the past 7 years, I've been waiting for you as a carrier to step up to the plate and to get the S2 as 'technically' it is the best phone on the market from both a retail and now business oriented frame of mind.  Whether the rumours are true in that LTE is your primary focus or that you have an agreement with Apple so to be the first carrier in Canada to carry the next iPhone, I think either of those excuses are quite weak and certainly poor planning from a strategic and tactical perspective.  As I've always been impressed by your forward-thinking attitude and devotion to always providing the newest and best hardware, it was your network (I live in MB) that always prevented me from making the switch; however, I have recently been proven wrong as my work phone's reception throughout the province has been phenomenal since your agreement with MTS came into effect.  Now, when I was all set and ready to make the move, I'm finding it quite blatantly obvious that you don't take into consideration the most important and what should be the most heavily weighted opinion, that of your customers.

Petey1013
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Reps avoiding this thread like the plague.  I hope someone gets fired over this fiasco.

ccrashh
I'm an Enthusiast
Yeah, this is, technically, a fiasco. I preferred the technical specs of the Samsung S2 which, technically, is much more superior than the technical specs of the EVO3D. Technically, when I renew my contract, I will be, strictly for technical reasons, switching to another carrier altogether. Technically.