cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE update

NewKID
I Plan to Stick Around

this morning i was restarting my phone. while it was loading back up, a screen popped up asking me if i want to upgrade something,but i declined it at the time because i was at work and wasnt on wifi. now that im at home, i tried updating it by restarting my phone again. this time, nothing happened and it booted up right to the home page.

i checked online and i found that SGS2 LTE is gettin a ICS upgrade, but i cant find out how to get it right now. i assumed that the message i got this morning was to confirm if i wanted to upgrade to ICS. maybe i thought wrong.

any thoughts?

******* Edit labels ********

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE update

harry_fine
I Plan to Stick Around

It was NOT ICS (Android 4).  I think Samsung has said January, but that doesn't mean Rogers will push it in January.  You may have to root your phone and download a non-stock ROM with ICS, but that depends on Rogers and your level of patience.

I'm wondering if that was the update you received to take you to Android 2.3.6 that AT&T (with the same phone) got a couple of days ago.  There was a bug in Google Voice or something similar, that was the only item in the change log for 2.3.6.  Currently the Rogers phones have Android 2.3.5.

I have been waiting for Rogers to push the newest version.  It didn't surprise me that they were behind AT&T.

Anyone else know if that's what they were pushing?

NewKID
I Plan to Stick Around

FFFFFFFFFFFF. ok thanks. i got my hopes up lol. well from what i remember it said something about downloading about something custom. and i was downloading at my own risk. i just took a quick look of it and pressed no, assuming i could download it later.

harry_fine
I Plan to Stick Around

Let me know if it comes up again and what it says.

Harry

Gohan22
I've Been Here Awhile

my old android had an "update" section under "about" phone.  On my S2 LTE it cant find that "update" section.  Does anyone know where it is?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Settings>About phone>Software updates.

This is how my S2 LTE & HTC Raider are.

pativets
I Plan to Stick Around

Are you sure it's there? I have an i727R as well and I don't see the updates page under About Phone.

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Yeah, there is nothing allowing for update phone & there are only a couple of items that you can select to expand in the" about phone" section. When I tried a Win Phone 7 Focus,it DID have that option.

shaggyskunk
Yeah, there is nothing allowing for update phone & there are only a couple of items that you can select to expand in the" about phone" section. When I tried a Win Phone 7 Focus,it DID have that option,to check for updates...

Gohan22
I've Been Here Awhile

yah thats the section where it should be in but on my S2 from Rogers its not there

NewKID
I Plan to Stick Around

not being able to find an update function kinda sucks. hopefully the update thing that i found a while back would pop back up. i just wish i read it more thoroughly to know what it was.

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
You can check with Kies. I ran it a couple days ago and 2.3.5 is still the latest.

Gohan22
I've Been Here Awhile

would kies look for google version or Rogers version?

pativets
I Plan to Stick Around

It will know that you are using a Rogers version, and the latest update will be shown accordingly. It's not like iOS where there are no carrier skins on top and updates can be rolled out same time all over the world.

christaylor
I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah...Rogers will be the last in line for the upgrade I'm guessing..I hope not but MY EXPERIENCE with Rogers so far(5)yrs is if they tell you January then hope for Feb...lol..I too can't wait for ICS

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Apple has agreements with every carrier to not do anything to do the updates this is why Apple roles out the updates to everyone at once. The other companies do not have this agreement in place Or the carrier refuse it so this is why we wait this long. I agree Rogers does take months to role out a update. This is getting really annoying waiting around for a update. I know you can root your phone & such but i rather get the update then by accident ruin the phone.

NewKID
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah its pretty stupid, but whatever. its our faults that we chose to be with rogers lol

Rogers or not ... Android just sucks on rolling out updates to thier devices and that's why they will never bet the 1st place. Fix that samsung and maybe you'll take the 1st place from apple. 

mbazdell
Either you're trolling or just willfully ignorant. There are more Android devices than IPhones by a significant number. The problem is the manufacturers modifying and creating divers for Android, and then the carriers modifying it even more. If you want an Android phone that is up to date, get a Nexus.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Even the Nexus phone is not really up to date either way. People are still complaining that the Nexus should get the newest update lol. Apple ONLY makes 1 phone which is called iPhone. Android makes many phones with there software in them. So thus Android has more phones then Apple will ever have. Apple Sucks on rolling updates as well. It takes them 6-8 betas in order for them to role them out & even then they sometimes stop because of the jailbreakers..

Anyways like mzbazdell said. The carriers once they get the update have to install their own stuff into it ( the only phones i know they dont is the GNexus & iPhone's.)

spinch88
I've Been Around
Is the ICS HERE YET OR WHAT MAN HOW WILL WE KNOW WHEN ROGERS GUESS IT? OR DO U EVEN THINK ROGERS WILL GET ICS ?
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 14 in conversation