Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE Operating System Ugrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Talisman
I Plan to Stick Around

Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE Operating System Ugrade

I noticed the new Ice Cream Sandwich operating system is going to be available if not already for the GS2 with other providers. When will it be available with the Rogers version of the GS2?

******* Edit labels ********

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE Operating System Ugrade

Samsung will Release it to Rogers when they do & then Rogers will take time adding their own bloatware on it. It will take a bit of time for Rogers to added the bloatware & do not ruin the update. This is a issue with Rogers. They take time for them to update their phones. I wish Rogers could just give us the updates like how Apple does without the carriers adding their own bloatware.
jaydee77ca
I Plan to Stick Around

What bloatware are you referring to? Other than app icons for MyAccount, urMusic, and the Rogers store (all of which I believe you can uninstall) I'm not aware of any "bloatware" on Rogers phones.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Bloatware is pre installed stuff like the Boot logo you see when you turn on the phone. The Rogers picture that shows up that is only one part of it. The other is the music apps / Rogers own bloatware where they need to fix the phone to the point it has their own branding on it.  Carriers also add a few little things on the phone that we relaly can not remove or tell because their is no use for them.. This has been a issue for  A LOT of people. Search it up on Google & you will see it your self. Here is a list of them form a few sites i have visited:

"Since the proliferation of the Android operating system in the last year, one of the repeated arguments against picking up one of the many powerful devices released by a carrier are the massive amounts of what’s come to be known as ‘bloatware’ pre-installed on the phones. Every carrier is guilty of this: ringtone stores to pre-installed game demos, every Android device you buy (with the happy exception of a few) will inevitably have some carrier-sanctioned additions."
^
http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/08/24/the-case-against-bloatware/

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/218473-rogers-bloatware-what-remove.html

jaydee77ca
I Plan to Stick Around

That same article says the following: "Canadians arguably have it a lot easier than their American or British peers: none of the incumbents pre-load their Android devices with disruptive or offensive stuff, opting rather to build their own content services into separate apps."

I don't consider a logo display at boot "bloatware" since it only shows at boot time and doesn't affect the operation of the phone.  The other apps are all separate apps (My Account, Ringbacks, Shop, urMusic, etc.), and while they can't be uninstalled, they only run on demand.  They don't run in the background and so also don't consume resources or affect the normal operation of the phone.  The forum thread you linked to confirms this.

Sure, in a sense they are still bloatware since they can't be uninstalled, but Rogers isn't anywhere near as bad as a lot of the other carriers out there.

Also, certainly Rogers will have to make some adjustments to the stock ICS to add their boot logo and pre-install their apps it appears that the way they have structured their offerings those changes should not be intrusive nor require a huge amount of effort.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Go read the Nokia N8 update thread. U will see it their that it took Rogers MONTHS to release a update to us that Nokia release to the world months before rogers released it to us.yes other carriers are worse but so is rogers. If u think bloatware is nothing then thats fine but to most of us is bad because they add their own stuff and take their time. IF you work with phone it does take a few weeks or days to tweak the boot screen & add it because they need the codes as well. Each update is differernt then the next. Each up they need to update & then put it into the update in which will take time. They also add a few other extra things. Read a few thread on here on different phones how they get late updates. For exaple the Samsung Galaxy S captivate. It took Rogers MONTHS to release the update yet AT&T & the rest of the carriers released it before Rogers did.

i wish Rogers released the updates fast. I hate seeing us wait for them. Anyways from what i can tell is Rogers will most likley release the update ONCE AFTER Samsung releases it to us. Then Rogers will put their own stuff in which most likely we will see a update by Feb or March. " Depends on when Samsung releases the update & when Rogers starts working on it."

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

People also have the option to root their phones, freeze or uninstall apps, flash new roms etc. While I understand that rogers wants to put their Brand on the phones that we OWN, the really RED bootscreen, did kind of bug me.

Yes, I understand that for most people, not having root access, protects people from mucking up their phones...I personally find that it's presumptuous of rogers to treat us like their Corporate Children! Rogers is no different to any of the Telecoms in this respect.

The bottom line, if you can't wait for rogers to make ICS available... you can always do it yourself.... BUT then you take the risks and don't go back to rogers looking for help.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Believe me Shaggy the Red boot screen bothers me as well. Rogers takes its time to release software updates to their phones. Look around & you will see it.

I would root my phone but at the same time i do not want to risk ruining the phone. This is the price you pay tho when the carrier takes a long time to add their own bloatware.
jaydee77ca
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

I'm not disputing that the updates from Rogers take a long time. I totally agree with that. I have experienced it with my Captivate. What I'm saying is that I don't think that the delays are caused by their boot screen and apps.

I totally agree that their updates take an extremely long time to be released and that is a major issue for Rogers customers and for Android overall (along with the lack of manufacturer support for newer Android versions).

Talisman
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone know if Samsung has already released the Ice Cream Sandwich to Rogers?