Samsung Galaxy S... when ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astralmind
I'm Here A Lot

Samsung Galaxy S... when ?

Besides rumors stating September, there hasn't been any statement made by Rogers on this one. Bell is getting the Vibrant this Friday. Will Rogers be carrying this phone and if so, when ? I am ready to jump ship and move to Bell as I am tired of the extremely poor Android selection we've got on Rogers. This could make quite a difference !

***edited labels***

crazyhammer
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S... when ?

I couldn't agree more on this issue. Funny how Rogers will be one of the first out of the gate in the Canadian market with the new BB Torch.

I was recently in the US and was playing with the Droid phones down there OMG they are soooo nice. Acer liquid is the only 2.1 android device and its not very good.

Just look at Rogers track record, my wife has a HTC Magic and its still 1.5 Andoid!!! I am aware this "should" be upgraded this month or next to 2.1 but honestly all the major devices in the US are moving to 2.2 THIS WEEK. Nexus one, Droid, EVO 4G etc, we are half a year behind the rest of the world when it comes to Android devices.

Rogers needs to realize that Android is really the phone to be pushing just look at these numbers, Android has grown year over year 886% 🙂

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-sales-almost-900-q2

I have been a loyal customer with Rogers for many years for my personal devices, internet etc. I even switched my entire Canadian based compnay from Telus to Rogers devices all BB devices because I love the Rogers network and customer support when your at the corporate level.

All I think most are asking is for some hint that you have more high end Android devices in the pipeline. Galaxy, Droid X or something that is 2.1 or 2.2 out the gate and if 2.1 will be upgradable to 2.2. I personally know 4 of people that are really having a hardtime sticking with Rogers now that the Galaxy is all but released at Bell.

Anyway good luck guys come on give us a hint.

astralmind
I'm Here A Lot

I actually have 2 friends who will be moving to Bell this Friday because of that. Even with the ECF, they are more than willing to do so considering the fact that there doesn't seem to be much hope for any improvements in the near future on that front. I've been a Rogers wireless customer for well over 10 years.... They used to be the leader when and it came to higher end phones..

Things have changed...
saltorio
I Plan to Stick Around

I too would really like to know.

My friend is currently contract-less, and is very interested in the Galaxy S. He would like to get it with the 6GB/$30 data plan that's back on until the end of September, but of course with Rogers that'll depend on whether the Galaxy S is released before the promo ends. Otherwise, he'll likely end up with Bell, as they've already got a Galaxy S timeline.

I really can't understand why Rogers constantly sits on release dates for new phones. They did the exact same thing with the X10, and didn't officially announce it's release date until a week or so before they posted it for sale. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially when your competition is quite open with their release dates. 

Mattymo
I'm Here A Lot

I agree. Rogers has the worst selection of Android devices out of the big 3. All the devices are outdated and still running Android 1.6. They have a group discussion for iphone and blackberry specific requests but Android is placed under "other".

Once my contract is done i think i will be making the move to to telus or bell since they have a better selection and network. Doesnt make sense to stay with a carrier who doesnt provide the products you want.

WearySky
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm another one falling into this category.  My early cancellation fee is getting low enough that it will not be much of a deterrent anymore.  And with the lack of iPhone 4 stock, and lack of any other options, I'm thinking that it's just about time for me to jump ship.

astralmind
I'm Here A Lot

So Bell's release date is now confirmed to be this Friday, August 6 for 149.95$ with a 3 years contract or 499.95$ no contract.

Time to calculate how much your ECF comes up to people... I hope it gets unlocked fast so I can phase out my Rogers contract with it and move on...
crazyhammer
I Plan to Stick Around

I am going to a Bell store at lunch to have a look at this phone. If it is anything like the Droid ima jump ship. I have two other Rogers accounts that I will switch over as well.

Rogers is doing REALLY good with customer service, these forums and the twitter accounts, redboard are prime examples you guys are doing really well. USE these tools as a way to get the word out that you are a serious Android provider or you will lose subscribers. You cannot argue with numbers, just look at the numerous reports saying Android is growing leaps and bounds.

Keep your existing customers with older devices LG EVE, HTC Magic in the loop in regards to upgrades, it took 4 months to even get anything out of Rogers in regards to IF the Magic is being upgraded, this month for Rogers (maybe) rest of the world 6 months ago.

MrMiGu
I'm Here A Lot

I've been waiting for this phone to come to Canada for a few months now.  Bell is releasing it this week and Rogers has yet to release anything but rumours.  I'm in desperate need to upgrade my phone and if the rumours from Bell are true, that they are offering the same data plan that Rogers is introducing for the iphone launch (6gb/$30) then I am going to consider going there. 

Though their voice plans are pretty expensive as well, so I may consider getting an un-subsidized t-mobile version of the Galaxy S, unlock it and move to WIND where I can get unlimited voice, text data with voicemail for $80 and NO CONTRACT.  Even though I would be forking over money upfront to get an unsubsidized phone unlocked I would be saving money for the services I would be getting and over the span of the 3 year contract that bell/rogers would force me into would be saving money.

astralmind
I'm Here A Lot

Lets hope they get unlocked fast. Captivate is still locked after 3-4 weeks release and I'm not sure Tmo's Vibrant is unlocked