Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE?

A question then, for the crowd... Historically, what is Rogers' typical turn-around time for getting phones out from their initial street date? For that matter, what is Rogers' best time? If it *actually* goes on sale mid-November, then logically Rogers should be testing it now. If that's the case, then they *could*, theoretically release it in November some time. Right? (yes, I'm optimistic!) So.... Christmas then?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@TheyCallMeDoug wrote:
A question then, for the crowd... Historically, what is Rogers' typical turn-around time for getting phones out from their initial street date? For that matter, what is Rogers' best time? If it *actually* goes on sale mid-November, then logically Rogers should be testing it now. If that's the case, then they *could*, theoretically release it in November some time. Right? (yes, I'm optimistic!) So.... Christmas then?

I can't answer any of these questions but let's just say they've never been what you'd call speedy.  But I am calling them EVERY DAY and I'll be sure to post here when I get some info.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The Nexus is confirmed to be releasing in the UK on November 17th. I wouldn't expect it here until after that at the earliest. It's rumoured Verizon will release it in the US the following week in time for Black Friday but nothing confirmed. I've decided to go with the Nexus over the S2 so if anyone hears/sees anything official for a Canadian release (Rogers or otherwise), I'd be very appreciative if you could post here. I'll be doing the same.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Galaxy Nexus isn't a clear winner as a lot of you seem to think, it scores less than GS2 on most benchmarks, slower for web browsing and 3d rendering. Root the galaxy and really the only thing it has going for is ICS which our GS2 will get sooner or later, and the hd display which works against it in some ways draining performance. It doesn't even have beastly gorilla glass, and having a durable display is a very sensible quality for a smartphone. If my focus was to get a polished phone with direct updates, I would've went with iphone long ago. I've watched people in my homeland get the GSII, brooded when rest of the world other than north america release the device, and cried a little when bell/virgin took this over rogers. You can bet I'm not a happy rogers camper regarding how they have been handling the marketing and releasing of this phone, but damnit it is a great phone and worth waiting for. Ive waited for far longer than 2 months of the rogers reservation system.

Head on over to xda to see some tests and reviews on the nexus. My sympathies to those waiting for the nexus, I get the chills just thinking about waiting for another new device. Doubt it will get released by rogers anytime this year.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

[quote]A question then, for the crowd... Historically, what is Rogers' typical turn-around time for getting phones out from their initial street date? For that matter, what is Rogers' best time? If it *actually* goes on sale mid-November, then logically Rogers should be testing it now. If that's the case, then they *could*, theoretically release it in November some time. Right? (yes, I'm optimistic!) So.... Christmas then?[/quote]

GS2 was released in korea on April 29th. It took the smartphone industry by a storm, set records, and its performance smashed the iphone and any other phones released at the time, no competition. The public demand for GS2 was very high, higher than we see of nexus today. It has been over 4 months and here we are, still waiting for the phone. Don't worry though, it will be released AS EARLY AS THIS WEEK LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL WOW ROGERS

Doubt on nexus before christmas, good luck.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@DennisKoreanGuy wrote:

[quote]A question then, for the crowd... Historically, what is Rogers' typical turn-around time for getting phones out from their initial street date? For that matter, what is Rogers' best time? If it *actually* goes on sale mid-November, then logically Rogers should be testing it now. If that's the case, then they *could*, theoretically release it in November some time. Right? (yes, I'm optimistic!) So.... Christmas then?[/quote]

GS2 was released in korea on April 29th. It took the smartphone industry by a storm, set records, and its performance smashed the iphone and any other phones released at the time, no competition. The public demand for GS2 was very high, higher than we see of nexus today. It has been over 4 months and here we are, still waiting for the phone. Don't worry though, it will be released AS EARLY AS THIS WEEK LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL WOW ROGERS

Doubt on nexus before christmas, good luck.

A question then for DennisKoreanGuy (but anyone else feel free to jump in)... Do native docks exist for the Galaxy S II LTE? I'm especially interested in a car dock but it must be native - I want it to securely hold the phone, put it in car mode and charge it. I don't want to have to do anything put sit it in the dock.  Less important, I'd like to have a desk dock.  I have both of these for my Nexus One and no longer want a phone without them.

I guess I should also re-ask this.... if a phone has fixed buttons and then gets upgraded to ICS will we not have two sets of buttons visible on every screen?  Would that not get annoying?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRRSD3zaBM

I like the physical buttons but that is just personal preference, and I'm sure I'll be able to get rid of the menu buttons shown in ICS. Afterall, I don't choose android so I can pull my hair out over not being able to move buttons on home screen. Samsung might even get rid of them for me too.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I wouldn't hold benchmarks as a huge deal as it still comes down to how fast it performs with what you do with it. and even with benchmarks my old (modified) atrix could out perform a stock sgs2. comes down to what you want. if you don't want to mod your rom and if there will be an LTE version compatible with rogers but want the latest in software updates, nexus is where its at. but again comes down to needs. Unfortunately we are talking about two devices that we have no clue when they are dropping.

As an aside @DennisKoreanGuy those comparisons are with the GS2 with the qualcomm chip right? i hear the differences aren't huge but still would like to know as there currently is no where I can go and play around with one of these.