I Plan to Stick Around

Could some one from rogers confirm when the galaxy Nexus will be released

******* Edit labels ********

233 REPLIES 233

Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RogersGalaxy

CP100
I Plan to Stick Around
Ugh.. nice runaround.

Why didn't the store call Rogers while you were there instead of starting you on a goose chase? Probably because neither they or Rogers have any intention of refunding you squat now that they have got your initial payment up front. Great eh?

I've had this with my last upgrade and why I can wait til I the phone I want is listed for $50 or less on Rogers site.

Moral of the story, don't sign the contract unless you can accept paying the price you paid up front (or are willing to jump through hoops and pissed off at someone to get what you want afterwards).

Good luck!

kdhlln
I'm Here A Lot

I wasn't at the store initially, I had phoned them asking about the price drop and they said to phone Rogers. Anyways, went to the store and they just did a "return" and I got the same phone again for the cheaper price.. don't know why Rogers couldn't have just given me a credit online lol.

pajak0688
I Plan to Stick Around

Is this phone supposed to be LTE or whatever its called? where you can turn 4g off.. searching for a network really drains the battery when I'm in class. Is this phone even 4g? I asked rogers and they told me yes, but why wouldn't we have the LTE option?

Seems like I could either have 3g/4g on or just switch back down to 2g...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
The Galaxy Nexus we have in Canada in NOT LTE. The only Version of the GNexus is the Verizon Nexus which is LTE.

The Galaxy Nexus that we have is 3G / 4G ( HSPA+) You will see either 4G OR H+ on the top. If you go into settings > Wireless & Networks >Mobile Networks. What do you see there? It should have a option to say Network Mode.

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor

4G is not a thing. It's only used for marketing.

It's either HSPA+ or LTE.

Except for Verizon in the US, everyone else is using the HSPA+ version.

You can only use 2G (Edge) if you're on Rogers (because Rogers is the only carrier in Canada with a GSM 2G/Edge network) but you will get much lower speeds.

pajak0688
I Plan to Stick Around
I dont have 'network mode' listed.

I have Data Enabled, Data roaming, Access Point Names, use only 2g networks, and Network operators.

For some reason, when I'm in class, I have to click 2g in order to get better reception.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
@Pajak0688.

Hmm well then use 2G. I guess the Galaxy Nexus you need to use 2G ( Edge) in order to get reception if you are not in a 3G or H+ area.

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

Why on earth would the company that brags about how they are always FIRST with new technologies (oftentimes a very hollow claim) not bring the LTE version of the Nexus.  The longer I'm a customer the more frustrated I get with this Mickey Mouse organization.

The Nexus has all the toys I want - car dock, desk dock, ICS etc. but Rogers, in their infinite wisdom, chooses to sell the speed challanged version.  I'll bet if they sold cars they'd carry Lambourgini's with Nissan engines.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
@JcKelly. Its because Verizon Is the ONLY carrier in the world that could have the Galaxy Nexus LTE. They got the okay & got the FCC to do it. Also you never know because Rogers or Bell could get the Galaxy Nexus LTE soon OR might get the new version that will come out later on.

umertariq
I've Been Here Awhile
What is the point of LTE when it can drain your battery in few hours. I think this version of galaxy nexus is a better option than LTE.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Not really. My HTC Raider on LTE is lasting me about 10 hours with heavy use & LTE use. I have yet to see any complains about the Galaxy Nexus LTE on Verizon about battery life.

LTE is new but sooner or later most phones being released will include 4G ( HSPA+) & LTE.
LTE needs to be put in more places before this happens tho because a lot of people buy LTE phones yet are not able to use LTE because its not installed in their area.
Also its been said Samsung will out high end batteries on their phones this yea in which will last a hole day or so with 1 charge. This might be for LTE phones as well.

umertariq
I've Been Here Awhile

good thing about this google nexus version is it is pentaband. You can use it any where and with any service including wind. I am just wondering if a LTE phone (with lte sim) can work with non-lte sim and non lte service providers?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Yea it can work fine will be just getting 3G and HSPA+ instead of LTE

Mathieu

@umertariq wrote:

good thing about this google nexus version is it is pentaband. You can use it any where and with any service including wind. I am just wondering if a LTE phone (with lte sim) can work with non-lte sim and non lte service providers?

WRONG WRONG WRONG

The Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus is a CDMA/LTE phone, not a GSM/HSPA+ phone.

It won't work on any carrier in Canada (or pretty much anywhere else in the world).

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedP...

"LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)"

umertariq
I've Been Here Awhile

I was talking about rogers google nexus not the verizon. Galaxy nexus from rogers would work on all other carries(wind etc) even in  other countries. I guess this phone would be good for people who want to switch to other carriers in future(wind,fido,).

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Yea that's true. You can use this phone on any carrier that is able to use GSM/HSPA+. I might buy the Galaxy Nexus in September again once i port my number over to Fido. I know its a long time & buy then the new iPhone will be announced & a few Samsung & Sony phones as well. I really do not care tho seeing as the price will go lower then anyways.

emagia
I've Been Here Awhile

Is anyone else having this problem... my signal stays on 3G and only bumps upt to H when I access an internet feature. Then, drops back down to 3G.

Very frustrating! I had this phone on Bell and the signal was always H.

HELP!

emagia
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyway to keep the speed at H? When I was on bell, it didn't deviate.

emagia
I've Been Here Awhile
Anyway to keep the phone on H? When I was on bell, the speed didn't deviate.

Mathieu
The 'H' means that the connection is active.
The 'H' doesn't mean that it's faster than 3G.

If you really want to keep the 'H', you need to install a virus ... an app that constantly access the Internet and kills the battery life of your phone 😉

On some Android ROMs, the 'H' is used instead of the '3G' icon but this is not how it's supposed to be in the official Google ROM that ships with the Galaxy Nexus.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

@ Mathieu what are you talking about? The Galaxy Nexus has the speeds on 21Mbps.
Device Speed (HSPA):
Up to 21 Mbps

3G is less then that & yes you might not get those exact speeds but you do get at least 7.4. I have tested it on my Galaxy Nexus..

3G speeds are around 3.5mbsp or a bit higher.

I could be wrong BUT i doubt either Google, Samsung & Rogers would lie about the speeds & which is faster.

Yes some ROMS use the H for 3G but those are just ROMS in which are modded ( i have never seen a ROM from google or any other company using H as a 3G speed.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats