cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Captivate Random Shutdown

BottledRage
I've Been Here Awhile

I've had my phone for less than two weeks and without problems until today.

It turns out the phone will shut down completely a while after the phone goes to sleep. This seems to happen after a full charge, but very consistently. As long as I use the phone to keep it awake, it works fine (great, in fact).

I tried powering on/off myself, battery removal, and factory reset, but the problem remains.

Might have to replace the phone at this point, but it's hard to find stock right now...

Anyone else have this problem?

Other threads which address my problem...

http://androidforums.com/captivate-support-troubleshooting/130114-phone-shutting-off-randomly.html

http://www.samsungcaptivateforum.com/samsung-captivate-how-to/random-shutdowns/

http://www.attdroids.com/forum/samsung-captivate-forum/1547-captivate-issue-random-shutdowns.html

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Samsung Captivate Random Shutdown

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm interested to see if the problem continues.  A Samsung service rep told me over the phone that there's a software fix, but I've also read that this is a hardware problem, so the software 'fix' might just be a hack, much like the very useful Captivate Keep Alive app.

I would also be very upset to find that I had been sent a refurbished unit - not because it's refurbished, but because no one bothered to tell me.  It's not the first time something significant has been left out of important conversations, and it's the principle of not being upfront and forthright that bothers me.  Tell me the policy and all the catches, and then I won't get angry later when I find out I only got half-truths.

At the end of the day, a refurbished unit that looks new, works properly, and has a FULL warranty satisfies the requirements I have for a brand new phone anyway.  I'll hold off on further judgement until I see what I get.

View solution in original post

86 REPLIES 86

XKS
I'm Here A Lot

Same happens to my phone. Any solutions? I looked online and the random shutdown issue seams to be quite common. I can deal with other issues or etc, but having the cellphone shutdown is unacceptable. Any solutions to the issue? Other than running an app or etc. Any patches? Is it software or a hardware issue? I would like an answer from somewhere.

P.S. It would be nice to see Rogers give an answer when so many other companies haven't yet. 

theimmortal
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Captivate that I've been using for a little over a week now and noticed something that's been bothering me.  Every so often, I find that the device powers down for no reason.  This past Saturday I noticed that it powered down about 5 times and 4 of the 5 - I was actually on a call (during the calls the phone was in a little compartment in the dash, so no I didn't push the power button).  Thinking back I'm pretty sure that it's happened a few times before that but I thought I must have turned it off by mistake.  Same thing happened on Sunday but not as often (only 3 times, because I didn't use the phone as often). 

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Regards,

T

RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi XKS,

Keep in mind "Device randomly shutting off" is probably the number 1 issue for most wireless devices (poor battery, physical defect, software corruption) so seeing many threads about it does not necessarily mean there is a known issue.

This specific problem has not been brought to my attention before but these are a few steps I would recommend taking for resolving software corruptions:

- Remove/Re-insert the battery

- Perform a master reset:

From this menu you can reset your phone and sound settings to the factory default settings.

1. From the Home screen, touch Applications ->Settings->Privacy.
  2. Touch Factory data reset, enter your password, then select Yes to confirm. The phone resets to the factory default settings automatically and when finished displays the Home screen.

-Test the device

If the problem persists, it is either something wrong with that specific device or a more serious issue with the firmware itself. Either way if you perform the above steps, we should be able to get you a new device if under warranty. If it still keeps happening after that, we would need to escalate this issue.

As mentioned above if this is a known issue with the firmware there is a good chance you may find a 3rd party app that addresses this (though unsupported by Rogers).

Keep in mind you can also reach Samsung directly at 1-800-726-7864. If they provide you with any important information make sure to let us know

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks RogersJean.

@BottledRage @XKS

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried all of the above and researched quite a bit online. It seams to be software issue. There is a temp work around for now. If you install the app 'captivate keep alive' it should prevent it from shutting down by making sure it doesn't go to standby when not used. Either way it works as long as captivate keep alive keeps running. If you shutdown and turn on the phone, the app won't run and you might get random shutdowns again. I installed a free startup manager and had it running the keep alive app on startup. From what I read the shutdowns happen when the phone goes on standby mode. I will keep you updated with anything else I find out.

RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Great find!

PeterR
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes mine is doing the same, shuts down many times a day! I'll try the App.

Thanks

PeterR
I've Been Here Awhile

The "captivate keep alive" App is working well so far.

Hi theimmortal,

You can find the exact same topic being discussed here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Samsung/thread-id/290

theimmortal
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks RogersJean, I noticed that right after I posted mine.  Can't say that it helped but I am currently waiting for a replacement device at this time as it still keeps shutting down every so often.

XKS
I'm Here A Lot

The captivate keep alive app works for now. From what it seems, this is a common issue online. Any updates comming up? Has Samsung mentioned anything?

Micro-Shock
I've Been Around

I too .... have been plauged by this issue.  normally right after a fresh charge of the phone.  hits about 80% of battery life ... and it does not appear to have this issue .... and runs fine.

bigal77
I Plan to Stick Around

This is UNACCEPTABLE, my captivate keeps shutting down during standby.  Throughout the day, PLS HELP !!!

XKS
I'm Here A Lot

Try installing the 'captivate keep alive' app. The random shutdowns seem to happen when the battery has over 70-80% charge. The keep alive captivate keeps it from shutting down. It will run automatically when the phone gets unplugged and starts running on battery. If you shutdown your cell and turn it back on, the captivate keep alive app will not run. In that case you can install a startup manager and add the app there, otherwise you will have to run it manually. It seems to be working for now. I am hoping that Samsung gets a patch out to fix this issue soon.

rdubz
I've Been Around

Captivate Keep awake should start auto"magically" when you unplug your phone if it's installed.  No need to put it in the startup.

I've spoken to Rogers level 1, who was about to transfer me to level 2, after I told him about my extensive testing on this, and came back and advised they'd be sending me a new phone.

This Forum  has a lot of people reporting the issue, from all over the board.

BottledRage
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for keeping this thread going, XKS. I've been using Keep Captivate Alive for some time now and haven't had problems yet. I've read threads where success varies, though. I'll be back if anything changes.

I've also tried all the above things (battery removal, factory reset, etc.) but the problem is now permanent.

Anyone in Rogers have any new recommendations? Or better yet, any communication with suppliers about the issue (i.e. number of shipped units for potential replacement requests or some kind of hardware/firmware/battery fix)?

Silvertag
I Plan to Stick Around

If you have SetCPU or Advanved Task Killer install you will get the random shutdowns. These 2 applications are the primary reason of this problem.

BottledRage
I've Been Here Awhile

Most people have that problem without those apps. SetCPU is for rooted phones and the Captivate comes with its own task manager. I've never used either app and the same symptoms/problems come up. Primary cause points strongly to the manufacturer.

As a sidenote, SetCPU users will experience this problem if the power setting is set too low during sleep mode.

I've spent a while looking around in regards to this issue- and of course I can't find the thread or forum where I originally read it, but this method worked for me for the last 2 weeks:

Settings -> Wireless and network -> Mobile networks -> Network Mode -> select GSM Only

That keeps me on the Edge network all the time, but also stopped my phone from shutting off every 10 minutes while I'm in the office. The original instructions I read had told me to use the debug menu (*#*#197328640#*#* -> Debug Screen -> Phone Control -> Band Selection -> GSM Band -> GSM 850) but that never really worked for me, and I saw that I could specify the network it would use right in the interface so I tried that... Since then, I don't think I've had a single random shutdown, and the one time that it may have been one- my battery was at 4% so it was more likely a legit shutdown.

But! Aside from hoping that this stops shutdowns for folks- I wonder what Rogers is going to do if there is indeed a defect in the software or hardware of these phones which is causing it to shut itself down given the right circumstances. You can say that shutdowns are the most common reported issue for most handsets- and kudos for you for realizing that, but this is not the same and it shouldn't be dealt with the same way either. Our brand new phones are shutting down when the battery seems to be at near-full charge and given certain solutions (software based I might add) the problem seems to go away. This infers that there is not actually a physical manufacturing defect as simple as a bad battery or connection causing the shutdown, and I would appreciate it greatly if the big corporation in the room would stop acting like they think that's what it is and actually deal with the root of the problem.

James

bigal77
I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting.  Im using GSM only right now, 5 hours of no shutdowns.  I will call  monday and ask for a replacement as it will be my 29th day. Just in case, I will keep monitoring. I had a shutdown at noon today, 3 yesterday, and 3 the day prior.  I had 1 in my first 25 days so i thought it was nothing.

I tried keep alive, and I went 11 hours with no shutdown, but it ATE my battery way to much to satisfy my needs.

That will be my last resort, but it did seem to work