cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Captivate Random Shutdown

BottledRage
I've Been Here Awhile

I've had my phone for less than two weeks and without problems until today.

It turns out the phone will shut down completely a while after the phone goes to sleep. This seems to happen after a full charge, but very consistently. As long as I use the phone to keep it awake, it works fine (great, in fact).

I tried powering on/off myself, battery removal, and factory reset, but the problem remains.

Might have to replace the phone at this point, but it's hard to find stock right now...

Anyone else have this problem?

Other threads which address my problem...

http://androidforums.com/captivate-support-troubleshooting/130114-phone-shutting-off-randomly.html

http://www.samsungcaptivateforum.com/samsung-captivate-how-to/random-shutdowns/

http://www.attdroids.com/forum/samsung-captivate-forum/1547-captivate-issue-random-shutdowns.html

***edited labels***

86 REPLIES 86

Re: Samsung Captivate Random Shutdown

WearySky
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure about the IMEI number correlation there, it's probably related to i897 vs i896 models... My IMEI number starts with 3541, which is well above the one stated in that post.

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

@antifuse wrote:

Not sure about the IMEI number correlation there, it's probably related to i897 vs i896 models... My IMEI number starts with 3541, which is well above the one stated in that post.

I'm not sure you read the post properly.

"If the last 4 numbers of your imei is lower than 5394"

3541 is lower than 5394.  That would put your phone right in range to have that problem.  Also, i897 and i896 are identical hardware.

WearySky
I Plan to Stick Around

The post says

"IMEIs manufactured before November 6, 2010: 352982040855394 or lower - 5393, 5392, etc."

To me, that implies that the whole IMEI is incremental in number, so applicable IMEIs would be 352982040855394, 352982040855393, 352982040855392, 352982040855391, 352982040855390, 352982040855389, etc.

Whereas my i896's IMEI is in the format 3541########### - which isn't even remotely in the same range.  Yes, the last 4 digits of my IMEI are less than 5393, but that seems irrelevant when the other 11 numbers don't match up. 

@CHINESEDEVIL

In regards to knowing it was REFURBISHED. After I took the phone out of the package inserted my SIM CARD and restarted the phone ,then plugged it in to fully charge it and make sure that the phone did not randomly shut down on me like the first one did.

After charging was done I decided to look in the box for the "Data Cable" (to make sure it came with one before I unplugged my original to return it with the phone) and to my SURPRISE located under the the phone box inside the outer box was a "RED SHEET"  Saying:

If you have any problems with this REFURBISHED REPLACEMENT DEVICE, please contact Rogers @ 1-888-ROGERS1 for technical assistance...and so on...

WOW ROGERS  thats pretty sneaky of you. Just glad I saw this before I wasted my time syncing all of my data,contacts,calendars,etc..

To my GIANT SURPRISE in the meantime I had the REFURBISHED replacement phone as my active phone (after it was fully charged and unplugged) I went to have a closer look at it and guess what IT TURNED OFF BY ITSELF!!

ALL OWNERS WHO RECEIVE A REPLACEMENT PHONE AS I AM SURE MOST OF YOU WILL DO SO ANYWAYS, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO TEST THE PHONE BY FULLY CHARGING IT AND USE IT AS YOUR PHONE ,BEFORE YOU SYNC DATA OR CONTACT, PROGRAMS OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU MAY DO. MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT RANDOMLY SHUT DOWN  AS IN MY CASE I KNOW IT CAN HAPPEN.

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

So here's the big question: is the refurb phone running 2.1 or 2.2?  I ask because I read here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=8​84289) that there might be both a hardware AND software issue:

"Meanwhile customers that have devices manufactured after November 6, 2010 should have software version i897UCJH7 which fixes the Power Cycling related to SW issues."

That pretty strongly implies that there is a software issue in addition to the hardware one.  I'm wondering if the refurb unit would still have problems if running the Rogers stock 2.2 firmware (keeping in mind that the leaked AT&T 2.2 firmware does not have the software fix in question).

CAPTIVATE_SUCKS
I Plan to Stick Around
HELLO SOFTWARE IS THE SAME ON BOTH MY DEVICES.
FIRMWARE VERSION 2.1UPDATE1

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

I suggest upgrading to 2.2 and then testing the shutdown issue the way you have been.  Running 2.2 is how you'd normally be running your phone anyway (I assume), so that's the test that will tell us if the refurb unit will really work properly as a replacement for the long term.

Kies *should* pick up the phone and allow an update, although I have not been able to get that to work for me even once yet. There are, of course, other ways to get the official Rogers 2.2. update onto your phone.

With a replacement phone with an IMEI that is out of the range that is known to fail, AND with the latest official firmware, there are no more excuses if the phone still shuts off.

I just got word that my replacement has shipped, so I'll be testing in this way in a week or two.  I'll post my results here.

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

@antifuse wrote:

The post says

"IMEIs manufactured before November 6, 2010: 352982040855394 or lower - 5393, 5392, etc."

To me, that implies that the whole IMEI is incremental in number, so applicable IMEIs would be 352982040855394, 352982040855393, 352982040855392, 352982040855391, 352982040855390, 352982040855389, etc.

Whereas my i896's IMEI is in the format 3541########### - which isn't even remotely in the same range.  Yes, the last 4 digits of my IMEI are less than 5393, but that seems irrelevant when the other 11 numbers don't match up. 

It's the exact same problem that you've described, that effects the same phone that was manufactured during the exact same time of the year.  In fact, multiple Rogers customers even received AT&T branded Captivates during launch.

Proof: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1661098-Rogers-Canada-to-launch-Samsung-Galaxy-S-in-Septe...

Our Captivates are identical hardware, rebranded with a different version of Android to carry the Rogers tweaks.

If I were you, I'd be exchanging your device while you can.

WearySky
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, believe me, I understand that this is almost certainly the same problem.  However, all I'm saying is that *that particular service notice* (or whatever it is) doesn't seem to cover IMEIs related to the Rogers Captivate (or, at least not mine).  And as I've said already in this thread, I'm perfectly happy with Captivate Keep Alive's performance, on top of which I'm already past my 30 days with this phone.

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

FYI, it's 30 days in-store only.  I'm past 30 days, but I'm getting a replacement via Rogers Wireless tech support.

I also find that Captivate Keep Alive drains my battery by about 10 pct in about an hour with no use other than e-mail sync (screen off, no new/weather widgets, etc.).  Once CKA hits its threshold and switches off, the no-use drain slows drastically.  That's not cool.  🙂

WearySky
I Plan to Stick Around

Hrmm, well that's good to know I suppose - I've never been below 30% battery by the end of the day on a typical usage day, so why rock the boat?

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

'Fair point.  🙂

I've hit 2% a couple of times, so I'll go this route and see what happens.  For the record, CKA was a wonderful stopgap.

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

I learned a few things that relate to previous postings:

1) Rogers (and apparently pretty much all cellphone service providers) have a deal with manufacturers where a phone is considered DOA before 30 days, and "used" after 30 days.  Before 30 days, you get a new phone.  After 30, you get a refurb.  This policy apparently applies to both Rogers and Samsung.  Rogers doesn't get a new phone from Samsung if your return is after 30 days, so they don't give you a new one, either.

2) You warranty is three months or whatever it was - whichever is greater.  I bought my phone 2 months ago, so my refurb replacement has a ten month warranty remaining.

3) Rogers is encouraging people to keep their new phones while running the Rogers 2.2 update, as this has fixed the shutdown problem in many cases (supposedly).  If you find the original phone stays alive as it should within 15 days of getting your refurb, return the refurb (ship it out within 15 days - they account for a few extra days for shipping delays, etc).  If not, return the original.  If you return the original, only send the phone and battery.  If you return the refurb, send back everything that came in the box.

xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

I receive my replacement to my phone. It was refurbished for which I wasn't pleased. The replacement did have an IMEI out of range for the shutdown issue which was nice. Running a few tests the phone has massive issues with the gallery, even after the rogers 2.2 was applied. I have never been so pissed at rogers, despite having all home options with them (phone, internet, cable, and two cell lines). What I love is that I pay for this phone, pay my nice big monthly fee only to get a second used phone back with more issues then my original. It only took two weeks to get this replacement. Just you wait retentions...I'll be talking ever so nicely when I get you on the line...

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

Sure enough, my replacement phone is a refurb - but since the Captivate has only been around for a few months, it's no surprise that it looks new (there can't be THAT many refurbs out there).

A Rogers tech support rep told me to put 2.2 on my original phone and see if that fixed the shut down problem.  It seemed to, for a day or two, but last night after I unplugged my phone before charging it and going to sleep, it shut itself off three times.  I'm testing my refurb for the same issues, and so far, so good.  I have fully charged the refurb unit multiple times, both while on and off, and each time gotten it into a state where it is fully charged and on before disconnecting the USB cable (the same situation as my original phone when it shut off last night).  I wait anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours, and it's still on.  

One more note: my original phone was running Captivate Keep Alive, and would drain about 10% per hour or so just sitting idle with the screen off until the CKA threshold was reached.  The refurb phone is reporting a full 100% charge after sitting idle for about an hour.  I haven't set up the refurb with anything other than a battery monitor yet, so it's not an equal comparison, but going from ridiculous drain to no visible drain at all is a big deal to me.

Fingers crossed on this one.  Updating my original phone gave me the SD card error, so now I have to figure out how to get all the right files off the one phone and onto the other.  Media server mode supposedly provides a workaround.

xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

I"ve been further testing this refurb...nice since I have my original phone still in hand. The refurb is a disaster. It runs into freezing during a gallery launch. And now suffers from consistent lag. I performed a factory reset with no different. Uninstalled all apps prior to the lag starting, still nothing. My original captivate suffers from none of this, other then the fact that it's imei is in the shut down range and does suffer from it. Super pissed that I have two junk phones in my hands and I'm still paying monthly... In all my phone days I've never run into something like this... 

xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

Here comes refurb #2.....

My bf has the same issue with the shutdown, but it only started yesterday(two weeks after we got the phone). His IMEI number is not part of that group but he has the issue. Would a new phone have the same problem?

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

Given that Rogers is sending out refurb units that apparently have problems, I'd assume that any phone that has the shutdown issue will continue to do so and is valid for return, regardless of the IMEI.  My understanding is that you will get a replacement phone if:

a) you report the shutdown issue

b) your IMEI shows as under warranty

My research and experience tells me that to be certain you won't have the issue going forward, you must be running the Rogers 2.2 firmware.  Samsung told me over the phone that they addressed the issue in that update, but I still had the issue running 2.2 with a bad phone.  It seems the only way to be sure is to get a new phone, run 2.2, get a full charge, unplug, and wait.  If you still have issues, get a new phone...until you don't have issues anymore.

xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

from what i've noticed the Samsung 2.2 that came out days before the rogers one seems to run a bit smoother. Anyone notice any home screen lag with their 2.2?

Senseless
I Plan to Stick Around

For my experience, I too got a refurbished phone.  I have to say, I was abit disappointed at first, but I decided to give it a shot.  The phone appears to be in mint condition anyways.

The refurb phone came with just the phone and the power chord.  Upon receiving the phone, I immediately charged the phone to full battery.  I then turned on the phone and set up everything.  Anyways, the phone comes with Android 2.1.  I updated the phone to Froyo 2.2, and everything runs smoothly.

I have been using the new phone now for approximately 2 weeks with no real issues.  I am so far pleased with the "new" phone.  So even though I am disappointed that the phone is not new, I am glad the phone is working and looking like new.  So all in all, I am please with the process.