cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Captivate Random Shutdown

BottledRage
I've Been Here Awhile

I've had my phone for less than two weeks and without problems until today.

It turns out the phone will shut down completely a while after the phone goes to sleep. This seems to happen after a full charge, but very consistently. As long as I use the phone to keep it awake, it works fine (great, in fact).

I tried powering on/off myself, battery removal, and factory reset, but the problem remains.

Might have to replace the phone at this point, but it's hard to find stock right now...

Anyone else have this problem?

Other threads which address my problem...

http://androidforums.com/captivate-support-troubleshooting/130114-phone-shutting-off-randomly.html

http://www.samsungcaptivateforum.com/samsung-captivate-how-to/random-shutdowns/

http://www.attdroids.com/forum/samsung-captivate-forum/1547-captivate-issue-random-shutdowns.html

***edited labels***

86 REPLIES 86

Re: Samsung Captivate Random Shutdown

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

My biggest point is this... you shouldn't need a third party app to keep your phone from randomly shutting down.

Anyways, Froyo (2.2) is out... I uninstalled Captivate Keep Alive and well, phone has random shutdown three times in the last 12 hours... 2.2 did NOT fix this issue.

WearySky
I Plan to Stick Around

Sure, you shouldn't have to run a third party app to make sure that your text messages have the right time on them if you're outside EST as well.  Such is life, these are hardly deal breakers.  If you don't like it, I'm sure you'd be able to find someone willing to buy yours, and you can get an iPhone 4 instead.

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

No it's not a deal breaker - but shouldn't need to be done.

As for the SMS time, that seems to have been fixed in 2.2 - I uninstalled SMSFixTimes and seems to be fine so far. Fingers crossed.

iPhone 4 lmao... I had one - gave it to my wife and upgraded her account to the Captivate and took it for myself 😉

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for the update JB.

🙂

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

So what's the scoop RogersErin? I was told that 2.2 was supposed to address the random shutdown and it hasn't...  is this being looked into at all by Rogers?

Senseless
I Plan to Stick Around

I too upgraded to Froyo 2.2 last night.  Today, my phone has shut down on my once.

xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

i too am awaiting my replacement handset due to the shut down issue. 2.2 didn't fix mine either. I received my back order notice. Wonder how long it'll take to come in, and if it'll run stock 2.2. This issue better be address for what most of us pay per month

Senseless
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi xtracrispy69, I ordered my replacement shortly before Christmas.  I just got notification this past friday that it's been shipped.  I should be expecting my phone soon.  Anyways, hope this give you a better timeline, and hopefully you'll get yours soon.

xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

let me know if it comes stock 2.2. I'm very curious on the shut down issue. A family member has the captivate, ordered in mid November and has no shut down issues. I love the phone except for this. the gps has been amazing since 2.2 Only if I could get this thing to stay on! 

So I guess the only way to get rid of the random shutdowns is by replacing it...? Does anyone know what is causing them? I would hate to get my phone replaced with another one only to have it do the same thing again.

CAPTIVATE_SUCKS
I Plan to Stick Around

"SENSELESS">>

I just wanted to let you know that replacements are in stock ,or so mine was shipped out this past Friday and I received it today January 10.

Now for the big reason why it wasn't in stock...Becuase they are shipping REFURBISHED UNITS for replacements.

I don't know about yourself or others that may be waiting for a replacement but I do know I could buy a refurbished phone without a contract (unlocked phone) for a couple hundred dollars. I would rather pay that price then save basically a hundred bucks and get locked into a contract for 3 year term.

I will say however as /at the time I joined the forum I was very disappointed/angry with the phone for shutting down. But outside of that issue I am EXTREMELY SATISFIED with the Captivate especially since it gets me out of that whole "APPLE & ITUNES"

I can transfer/browse/and exchange from my desktop PC via bluetooth and Windows 7. You  don't get locked into a specific manufacturers program if you wish to transfer songs/videos/documents or just about anything. The video quality and overall screen is the best or one of the best I have ever seen/used.

Hopefully the "REFURBISHED" phones were tested for CPU random shutdowns before shipped. As I know alot of people are waiting for a working replacement.

your name doesn't help your cause...i hope your info comes from the source directly and not from a family member, friend or another junk forum. A couple folks on here have received their replacements, are they refurbished?

Just got my replacement, it was manufactured a day after mine was.  Box and everything was sealed, IMEI higher than my old one, all the stickers were in place.  So hopefully it is new? (how would i know if its a refurb if they repackage everything?)

Testing it right now to see if it does the random shutdown.  My old one didn't really do it that frequently but since I was within the 30 day window I might as well try for a new one.

EDIT: how would I know whether my phone is a refurb or not?

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around
Just to confirm: you installed the Rogers-specific 2.2 update? I know for sure that the AT&T 2.2 update and at least one Cognition custom ROM do not include a fix. When I spoke to Samsung, they told me that the fix was in their changelog for the Rogers 2.2 update specifically.

xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

i had installed the 2.2 by samsung. I had already ordered the replacement so even if I update this one I'll have a replacement coming. If the new phone fixes the problem I'm a happy camper. Love the phone. Just hoping they aren't refurb units. I can't seeing this being true.

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

I see posts are being deleted again...while I'm trying to reply to them.  I guess there's not much point being honest in here unless your message is all sunshine and rainbows.

That's very disappointing, but at this point, I'm honestly not surprised.  Good luck to all of us who are looking for clear, honest assistance.

CAPTIVATE_SUCKS
I Plan to Stick Around

I WILL WRITE SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS....

I TAKE THE TIME TO WRITE A REPLY AND ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS

THEN ITS DELETETED

1.PHONES GIVEN AS REPLACEMENTS ARE REFURBISHED. OR ATLEAST MINE IS

2.IT COMES WITH THE EXACT SAME 2.1VERSION1 FIRMWARE VERSION

3.YOU CAN GO OUT AND BUY A REFURBISHED PHONE WITH NO CONTRACT ITS UNLOCKED OFCOURSE FOR ABOUT $300 AND NO 3 YEAR TERM.

4 I DONT THINK ITS FAIR THAT WERE WHO BUY A NEW PHONE AND SIGN UP FOR A 3 YEAR CONTRACT GET A REPLACEMENT PHONE THAT IS REFURBISHED. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT OTHERS THINK IN THIS MATTER.

I AM TRUTHFULLY VERY USPET WITH THE REFURBISHED PHONE REPLACEMENT(SORRY ROGERS BUT ITS THE TRUTH) NOTHING MEAN,VULGAR,DIRECTLY @ ANYBODY SO NO REASON TO DELETE THIS YET AGAIN.....

I HAVE SINCE FULLY CHARGED MY NEW(REFURBISHED SO ITS NOT REALLY NEW AT ALL) PHONE PUT IN MY SIM CARD AND RESTARTED THE PHONE AND LEFT IT EXACTLY AS IT CAME, NO PROGRAMS,SYNCS,CONTACTS ADDED NOTHING CHANGED AT ALL. I WILL LET ALL OF YOU KNOW IF MY REFURBISHED REPLACEMENT PASSES THE RANDOM SHUTDOWN TEST.

hemlock_0
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm interested to see if the problem continues.  A Samsung service rep told me over the phone that there's a software fix, but I've also read that this is a hardware problem, so the software 'fix' might just be a hack, much like the very useful Captivate Keep Alive app.

I would also be very upset to find that I had been sent a refurbished unit - not because it's refurbished, but because no one bothered to tell me.  It's not the first time something significant has been left out of important conversations, and it's the principle of not being upfront and forthright that bothers me.  Tell me the policy and all the catches, and then I won't get angry later when I find out I only got half-truths.

At the end of the day, a refurbished unit that looks new, works properly, and has a FULL warranty satisfies the requirements I have for a brand new phone anyway.  I'll hold off on further judgement until I see what I get.

@CAPTIVATE_SUCKS

how do you know your phone is refurbished?

Is the box different or something?

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke with Rogers this morning as my Captivate is still suffering from random shut downs after 2.2 installed. As soon as I mentioned it was shutting down on 2.1 and still shutting down after 2.2, he didn't hesitate to send me out a replacement. I did ask if it was a new unit or a refurbished unit and he told me it could be either... and then told me that normally it takes 3-5 business days but they are currently out of stock, so I'm hoping it'll be a new one!

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

Looks like it isn't a software issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884289

Seeing as our phone is identical to the AT&T model, I suggest you all process a return and check the number on the model they send you as a replacement.

Topic Stats