STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Just ran a SpeedTest.net test and thought I would share..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2751090022.png

Ping: 12 ms

Download: 36.43 Mbps
Upload: 10.58 Mbps

My Location: London, ON

Server Test Location: Toronto, ON (Tekk Savvy Soultions)

My only complaint is my speed, not my latency. I am supposed to get 150Mbps/10Mbps Down/Up

Good luck!

I Plan to Stick Around

Maritimes, ps3, rogers Extreme 30 down 10 up, average ping of 30ms, hitron modem. I myself just like the other 20 million gamers, experience lag every now and then and most of the times its the other players who are in other countries.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Turlur wrote:

Just ran a SpeedTest.net test and thought I would share..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2751090022.png

Ping: 12 ms

Download: 36.43 Mbps
Upload: 10.58 Mbps

My Location: London, ON

Server Test Location: Toronto, ON (Tekk Savvy Soultions)

My only complaint is my speed, not my latency. I am supposed to get 150Mbps/10Mbps Down/Up

Good luck!

Your definately getting your up, which is good.

Have you tried speed tests to OTHER servers as well? Even in other cities? See what the speed tests gives you for there.
The only reason i say that, is the ROUTING to those servers, can effect your speed.
I have a friends on Techsavvy themselves (which uses rogers lines).  They are in K/W.  If they speed test to K/W, they are barely getting their 25mbps, usualy closer to 20.  But if they do one of the toronto ones.. they get OVER their 25.  Why?
Likely, due to the way the data is being routed.. to get to that K/W server, it is having to route from their, to say toronto, and then back again.. vs straight to toronto is actualy the SHORTER path.

Also, make sure to do the speed tests, when there is NOTHING else going on.. no gaming, downloads, netflix, etc going on.

I Plan to Stick Around

if you read what I said, it doesn't matter who I play, I always lag and feel like my players/team is stuck in quick sand (because of congested internet)

i have three xbox's btw..

an average joe wouldn't notice the lag at all.... only people who play competitvely or for money are sensitive (can tell) the difference between a good connection or not.

when it comes to online gaming, having a good a connection is the #1 thing (even more important than skill) because even if you're good and your connection blows, in COD, you could shoot at someone but your bullets might not register.... in nhl or fifa, your guys feel like they are stuck in mud/quick sand... etc...almost unplayable.

doesn't matter though, I've learned my lesson and done everything that I could possibly have done. only option now is to switch to bell.... at least bell internet is dedicated.

lol and btw, the techinician showed me that 5 of my neighbours (including me) share ONE line... haha. that's embarassing...

rogers never again...

Bell fibe is dedicated internet.... rogers isn't... I wish I would have known earlier and didn't lock myself into a contract

I'm Here A Lot

I am jelly of that download, I am supposed to get 25 but lucky if I get near 10.

I Plan to Stick Around

bell dedicated internet? perhaps if its a business line i think.., like Rogers business internet which is dedicated as well (according to their price plan), but for consumers i highly doubt it unless it cost a butt load of money per month, but who would seriously pay so much money per month for internet only cause they are lagging in some online game? wow..
I Plan to Stick Around

@CantPlayOnline wrote:

if you read what I said, it doesn't matter who I play, I always lag and feel like my players/team is stuck in quick sand (because of congested internet)

i have three xbox's btw..

an average joe wouldn't notice the lag at all.... only people who play competitvely or for money are sensitive (can tell) the difference between a good connection or not.

when it comes to online gaming, having a good a connection is the #1 thing (even more important than skill) because even if you're good and your connection blows, in COD, you could shoot at someone but your bullets might not register.... in nhl or fifa, your guys feel like they are stuck in mud/quick sand... etc...almost unplayable.

doesn't matter though, I've learned my lesson and done everything that I could possibly have done. only option now is to switch to bell.... at least bell internet is dedicated.

lol and btw, the techinician showed me that 5 of my neighbours (including me) share ONE line... haha. that's embarassing...

rogers never again...

Bell fibe is dedicated internet.... rogers isn't... I wish I would have known earlier and didn't lock myself into a contract

I am not an AVERAGE JOE even though I only own 1 Xbox. Owning 3, doesn't make you superior. Apparently, this is what you try to convey here. Like I said previously, I play MW2 every single night and a lot on weekends and I don't experience the problem you have. I'm beginning to think that you like to complaint just for the sake of it. 

Good afternoon Community!

I'd just like to remind everyone that this thread was created by the OP to discuss and troubleshoot his internet connectivity when gaming. Let's try to keep the discussion civil and try not to venture into an argument about gaming prowess. 

Thank you.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

RogersCorey is just mad because he doesn't have any XBOXes...... Just kidding.

Anyways. The OP of this post can't be taken seriously because they have neglected to provide any substantiating support to their claim. They constantly claim that it's not their end that's the problem, and yet when others have asked for more information regarding the hardware setup or anything else, there isn't any reply other than, "It can't possibly be my end".

With that said, it doesn't mean the problem OP is experiencing is in fact on their end, which could be the case. There have been times when Rogers was unable to provide me with a stable internet connection. In fact, I'm on my 5th Hitron modem because the others all kept randomly disconnecting. The only change that was ever done on my end was replacing the modem.

Food for thought.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, just to correct a point above.  Bell is NOT direct internet connection.  maybe SLIGHTLY moreso than rogers, but only marginaly.

Rogers, your house line, connects to the box on the street, from there, goes into a BIGER cable with that street, which usualy connect into a larger line, then from there usualy to a CO/POI point.

Bell, really the only step you skip there, is the line down the street together.  Phone lines run individualy to the closest DSLAM usualy..   Usualy there is a conversion then, to a larger cable where its grouped, going to the closest CO.

Advantage to fibe now, is that there is fibre to the CO now, so a BIGGER pipe

Really in the end, BOTH types of internet, work generaly the same.. and both can suffer from the same thing.

Again as i have stated before.. EVERYONE needs to assess their situation, even before getting the internet, by looking around, etc.
Not EVERY location has fibe yet, etc.  Some areas (say like where i am), Rogers is always going to be the better choice.. why?  The phone line infrastructure here is POOR.. and all the DSL providers, all have a max 6mb/256k service.