STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Yea but is there any actually proof that they have stop throttling completely ? Saying something is very easy doing it is hard. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only throttling that they were doing at the time, that i am aware, was P2P traffic.. torrents, etc.

Really the only way to really prove that it was or not.. was actuall stets/speeds that people can get, etc.

At the time, i was only the 25mbps plan. 
With a GOOD torrent (like 500+ seed/leechers), maybe pulled 2ish MBps.. so around 16mbps.

More recently, since switching at the time to the 60mbps plan... i have pulled Torrent downloads of around 8.5 MBps, which equates to 68mbps, well over what my plan should be. 

Far from being throttled.

I'm Here A Lot

I'd like to put some of my thoughts after switching to rogers. My entire family either games or watches videos thats basically the only uses we have for rogers, and so far we have been getting buffering all day with Youtube, Twitch.tv and other video streaming websites. With games (such as CSGO, League of legends or any blizzard games) we get ping spikes every second going from 70-300 ping. I would say that if you want to do any of these two I would avoid it as I plan to switch within the month i already had 2 technician and nothing as been done.

I have replied to other post but they stopped responding on the forums and even deleted one of my post so I gave up.

GL to anyone who wants to have this ISP as the speed of my ignite 100u is within ontario only ive tried to Skype with family and friends from vancouver and would drop calls or that robotic voice due to internet speed outside of toronto.

if you ask for customer support all they will tell you is... "go to speedtest and click on toronto server, its above 100mbps? then your getting the correct speed and I see nothing wrong."

I'm a Regular

Yea I'm starting to think Rogers is not good for gaming all of my friends that play online , different games all have problems with Rogers when gaming online , they play wired , bridged mode using own router. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

May dedpend on the game.. as well as your specific location/routing.

I play wow, and my ping is normally just fine, varely rarely any spikes.  Fairly consistant day to day.

(usually around 70ms, but that is NORMAL to my server in cali, it was actually HIGHER in the past, over 120)

I dont to MUCH else online gameing wise at least multiplayer.. but the little i have done, never noticed a specific issue.. mind you dont play them enough to really know if i did or not.

Even just local routing between you and rogers (let alone rogers to the end point) could make a difference.

I often dont have outages when say like CORE toronto does.. as i am a way bit north.. not through the same routing points.  All depends on the sability, quality, etc of those local nodes.
(EG; there is a guy on here who has weekely if not daily issues out mini outages in his area.  The only outages i seem to ever have is when the power goes out.  (my san emails me when back from an outage where it can not communicate out to the internet for more than 10 mins.. and the only time i get that notification, i get the restart notification from my server as well))

Not saying rogers is the be all end all.  Far from it.  You need to use what will serve you the best, where ever you are.

For me, it works great.
(and much better than bell's offerings which is max 6mbps dsl till MAYBE they get up to my subdivision with fibe next year?)

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers if definitely not gamer friendly... packet loss problems have been plaguing me for such a long time making gaming unresponsive and frustrating.