cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

CantPlayOnline
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not biased.... but after this, when my contract ends, I will be switching to Bell Fibe internet WITHOUT a single doubt.

For the past month, my Internet went from bad ... I play mainly FIFA 13 on XBOX 360 (always had to play with lag, as if my players were stuck in mud, can't make passes, couldn't turn... couldn't do anything for three years) to completely and literally unplayable.

Reason I stayed with them for so long was because there are no options... Bell uses phone line internet, and doesn't sound great... but after hearing that they have FTTN (fiber to the node) in my area, I'll be more than glad to try their internet out.

I wanted try playing an OTP game to test out my connection (got ANOTHER new modem because the useless tech support Rogers told me so after getting THREE other modems, with the same problem)

I have a picture of having a red bar connection, but it's on my iPhone, so I'll upload that later... but take a look at this when I pinged google.com and google.ca :

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/9897/wtfping2.png

851ms and 231ms? Is that a sad joke? After calling them 15+ times in two weeks, they kept brushing me off saying it's a problem with the modem, that there's no problem with the area (no congestion, signal is "fine"),

At first, I told them to send a technician to check the wiring/other possiblue issues, like congestion... but they said they wouldn't do it... until today, I was raging at the tech support and they finally got someone (probably another useless technician) to check it out, just to say "everything is ok" (as always).

So for people experiencing mud lag, button delay... it is NOT EA, IT IS your ISP! Why can others play EA perfectly while some others can't? Because it's the ISP's fault... some people say that FIFA is horrible, but other online games play fine.... well, FIFA uses P2P (and many ISP's throttle P2P traffic)

If you don't believe me, Rogers FIRST denied that they throttled P2P traffic, but FINALLY admitted that they did it and "promised" to stop throttling.

Here, take a look:
https://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab&q=rogers+online+gaming+throttling&oq=rogers+online+gaming+thro...

After my contract expires, I will cancel every single service with Rogers.. and that's a promise.

***edited labels***

145 REPLIES 145

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

panache
I've Been Here Awhile

I assigned a static IP, forwarded the necessary ports for Sony Playstation, and disable UPnP. That solved NAT-type errors with microphones in PS4's party chat and connections being dropped when playing online on both PS3 and PS4.

That's pretty interesting to say the least.  Is that with a CGN3 or CGN3ACSMR?  What it really suggests is that for the modem that you have, UPNP is not functioning as it should.  Since you have both a PS3 and PS4 how did you configure the modem?  Static IPs for both?  What about the port forwarding for both.  I'm not a gamer but I would speculate that the PS3 and PS4 have common ports in terms of the forwarding requirements.  If so, how did you configure those ports when they have to be directed at two different IP addresses?

Smythe9110
I've Been Here Awhile

I am having lag spike issues with my connection.  Is there a way to keep them down or steady the connection as it effects my netflix on wifi as well as my online gaming

We would need a little more info to potentially help with that part.

That its on WIFI, it can add another level on complexity, as there is MUCH more than can effect speeds, lag, etc.
(EG: even on the best wifi, your latency/ping will ALWAYS be slightly higher than wired.)

We could start with your signal levels on the modem if you log into it.

Beyond that... what modem model you have?
What model wireless do you have if a PC, and if a device, what is the device itself.

Also, location of the device, in relation to where the modem is.

So does Rogers still throttle p2p online gaming ?

On the old.internet packages

Smythe9110
I've Been Here Awhile

I have an Asus router and I have reset it and assigned static IP addresses, opened all the necessary ports and turned off all firewalls.  Seems much better than before.  But alot to go through to play online.  and my NAT is still strict

Seems a little strange.  Running the modem in Bridge mode?  From what I remember, there is a routine that one has to go thru on the xbox in order to achieve an open NAT.

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
I have a tplink archerC7 ac1750 router with open Nat when playing Xbox one online with upnp on

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
The only times I have problems with Nat if I have 2 Xbox ones playing at the same time. One Nat is open and the other one is on moderate. The only way I seem to fix this was buy plugging the other xboxone into Rogers modem for second IP addresses

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
Any idea if they still throttle p2p online games on older Internet packages like that guy stated on first page. I'm on the hybrid 150plan 500 GB / monthly

Rogers supposedly stopped any traffic shaping a long time ago. 

@Smythe9110, you shouldn't have to turn off the router firewall in order to use your xbox.  If you haven't seen this video, have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCjScH9xNc

Basically what it seems to suggest is to simply repeat the multiplayer test until the Open NAT comes up.  Personal opinion, that's a little goofy if repeating the test a few times results in an Open NAT.  I think it points to an issue with the xbox software, not with a modem or router that happens to be sitting ahead of it.

Smythe9110
I've Been Here Awhile

My NAT says strict but the conection is solid for all the games I've been testing on today... it was a 3 hour job because of my lach of tech knowledge but I think I have it figured out now.  going to play a 10 player game of NBA 2k and if there's no latency spikes for that then I've solved it

Is the modem in Bridge mode, ie running as just a modem, with the router doing everything else, including firewall duties?

Yea but is there any actually proof that they have stop throttling completely ? Saying something is very easy doing it is hard. 

The only throttling that they were doing at the time, that i am aware, was P2P traffic.. torrents, etc.

Really the only way to really prove that it was or not.. was actuall stets/speeds that people can get, etc.

At the time, i was only the 25mbps plan. 
With a GOOD torrent (like 500+ seed/leechers), maybe pulled 2ish MBps.. so around 16mbps.

More recently, since switching at the time to the 60mbps plan... i have pulled Torrent downloads of around 8.5 MBps, which equates to 68mbps, well over what my plan should be. 

Far from being throttled.

I'd like to put some of my thoughts after switching to rogers. My entire family either games or watches videos thats basically the only uses we have for rogers, and so far we have been getting buffering all day with Youtube, Twitch.tv and other video streaming websites. With games (such as CSGO, League of legends or any blizzard games) we get ping spikes every second going from 70-300 ping. I would say that if you want to do any of these two I would avoid it as I plan to switch within the month i already had 2 technician and nothing as been done.

I have replied to other post but they stopped responding on the forums and even deleted one of my post so I gave up.

GL to anyone who wants to have this ISP as the speed of my ignite 100u is within ontario only ive tried to Skype with family and friends from vancouver and would drop calls or that robotic voice due to internet speed outside of toronto.

if you ask for customer support all they will tell you is... "go to speedtest and click on toronto server, its above 100mbps? then your getting the correct speed and I see nothing wrong."

Yea I'm starting to think Rogers is not good for gaming all of my friends that play online , different games all have problems with Rogers when gaming online , they play wired , bridged mode using own router. 

May dedpend on the game.. as well as your specific location/routing.

I play wow, and my ping is normally just fine, varely rarely any spikes.  Fairly consistant day to day.

(usually around 70ms, but that is NORMAL to my server in cali, it was actually HIGHER in the past, over 120)

I dont to MUCH else online gameing wise at least multiplayer.. but the little i have done, never noticed a specific issue.. mind you dont play them enough to really know if i did or not.

Even just local routing between you and rogers (let alone rogers to the end point) could make a difference.

I often dont have outages when say like CORE toronto does.. as i am a way bit north.. not through the same routing points.  All depends on the sability, quality, etc of those local nodes.
(EG; there is a guy on here who has weekely if not daily issues out mini outages in his area.  The only outages i seem to ever have is when the power goes out.  (my san emails me when back from an outage where it can not communicate out to the internet for more than 10 mins.. and the only time i get that notification, i get the restart notification from my server as well))

Not saying rogers is the be all end all.  Far from it.  You need to use what will serve you the best, where ever you are.

For me, it works great.
(and much better than bell's offerings which is max 6mbps dsl till MAYBE they get up to my subdivision with fibe next year?)

tehnatural
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers if definitely not gamer friendly... packet loss problems have been plaguing me for such a long time making gaming unresponsive and frustrating.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats