STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Your own router could fix some things like generally connectivity to services, some minor latency stuff, etc.

But if the issue is comming from a pure ROUTING issue.. then a router itself wouldnt make a difference.
If its the path from A to B..  thats on the rogers end.

You mentioned something of playing with Europeans.. that on a Europe server?
If so.. then even routing changes.. wouldnt do too much.  Just on distance alone, etc there would be a lot of latency.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

In CS:GO there isn't 1 central server, like in LOL that handles are the traffic in a specific region. For example, in North America, LOL has a central server. For CS:GO there are multiple game servers (probably run by Valve) that exist throughout the world. However, I'm playing CS:GO from Canada (T.O) and sometimes I would be playing with europeans. I'm not exactly sure why it would  match me up with europeans, but I find it to be a routing probalem in Rogers' network. I also expereience this similar problem in Battlefield 4. I would be put in a sever with almost no players. 

From my gaming experience on Rogers, I would say that routing needs to be fixed in Rogers' network. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Why did you disable upnp I always thought that had to. Be on all the time when gaming
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

UPNP allows any application that you intentionally and unintentionally run to change the parameters of the modem.  For legitimate applications this is a good thing, as it makes your life easier when gaming or running some application that requires specific modem settings.  For rogue applications which run without your knowledge, they makes a hackers life much easier when it comes to hijacking your modem for whatever purpose he or she has in mind.  Usually you can do the same thing manually by setting a static IP address to a device and then setting port forwarding or triggering as required for the device or application yourself.  Personal opinion, I don't let any application change my modem settings.  I do that myself so that I understand what the application does and what the security implications of the settings might be, so, UPNP remains disabled permanently.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

He's not using port forwarding
all he did was use a static IP and he disabled upnp.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I assigned a static IP, forwarded the necessary ports for Sony Playstation, and disable UPnP. That solved NAT-type errors with microphones in PS4's party chat and connections being dropped when playing online on both PS3 and PS4.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's pretty interesting to say the least.  Is that with a CGN3 or CGN3ACSMR?  What it really suggests is that for the modem that you have, UPNP is not functioning as it should.  Since you have both a PS3 and PS4 how did you configure the modem?  Static IPs for both?  What about the port forwarding for both.  I'm not a gamer but I would speculate that the PS3 and PS4 have common ports in terms of the forwarding requirements.  If so, how did you configure those ports when they have to be directed at two different IP addresses?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am having lag spike issues with my connection.  Is there a way to keep them down or steady the connection as it effects my netflix on wifi as well as my online gaming

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We would need a little more info to potentially help with that part.

That its on WIFI, it can add another level on complexity, as there is MUCH more than can effect speeds, lag, etc.
(EG: even on the best wifi, your latency/ping will ALWAYS be slightly higher than wired.)

We could start with your signal levels on the modem if you log into it.

Beyond that... what modem model you have?
What model wireless do you have if a PC, and if a device, what is the device itself.

Also, location of the device, in relation to where the modem is.