STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Ok, since I'm not a gamer, would you happen to know if Rogers has a peering agreement that would allow a better connection to game servers like GTA.  If not, who is "The Guy or Gal" in charge of peering agreements at Rogers and how do people here in the forum contact him or her??

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I would goto the store and by a router if I had that $100 to get a descent one. Set my modem to bridge mode and then never have to worry about Rogers piece of garbage Modem.

Anyone getting tired of being timedout during peak hours while gaming? I was getting signed out of the PSN all the time less then a month ago and now I get timedout during peak hours. I play video games to relax and stay in contact with a majority of my friends who don't live in my area anymore. Sure this is the busy time but I want to play GTA Online for at least an hour before getting timed out, not every 10 minutes. Rebooting my modem if I have issues when my buddy comes over with his PS4 to play some Elder Scrolls Online.

I agree with most people here, that gaming on a Roger's modem without a router is just one big headache.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rogers doesn't like the pictures I uploaded so I don't think they will like any of my hilarious signatures too.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

To my understanding, I would assume those type of Agreements are initiated via the Gaming Company.

Customers would call and report the problems to the their Gaming Support Company. In hopes of improving the service for their customers they would try and do something about it by possibly contacting various ISP's.

Have a look at this page here from Riot Games(League of Legends) where they mention that have partnered with various ISP's to improve data transfer.

Wouldn't have a point of contact for people on the forums or others to reach out too. As always they can create a topic and provide information on thier issues  Smiley Happy

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Punk_Out wrote:

I would goto the store and by a router if I had that $100 to get a descent one. Set my modem to bridge mode and then never have to worry about Rogers piece of garbage Modem.

$100 for a decent router?!? In my view, try low-$200s for an Asus RT-AC68U or similar... (though I am dangerously close to getting a 56U for another purpose...)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. you are looking at normaly the $150 range at MIN for a decent one.. the one VivienM mentioned or someting like the N66U... either way where you are not taking HITS per say.. but removing some capabilities (no AC, less antennas, etc).

Let alone going to the better end at 200+

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

SOLUTION: STATIC IP and Port forwarding

I started getting NAT-type errors after switching to a new modem from Rogers a few months ago. The only solution I found was to assign a static IP address to my gaming consoles. Because Rogers' modems are dual-band, the internet signal can drop when it assigns a new/different IP address to your device. You likely never notice it using devices like laptops or tablets, but for gaming, it's highly inconvenient to have your signal lost in the middle of a session, especially when playing with others online. The modem is just trying to keep a strong steady signal, but it undermines gaming functions by dropping signals or causing NAT-type incompatibility issues. 

Look at your console's settings to find what IP address it currently uses, then go into the Hitron website, look up the devices currently using your home network and identify which one is the console. You can then manually assign a static IP to your console, using a number that's outside the range of your router's IP range. Once you've reserved an IP just for the console, manually enter that static IP number in your console's internet settings so it only uses that IP to connect. 

If you still have issues, you may also need to forward some ports , which can vary depending on which console you're using.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

^Been there done that!

@panache for things to work properly without 0 issues with Rogers Internet you need to have a router connected, it is that simple. Your solution is honestly old news. Opening ports and setting up static IP are the most common things to do for these issues, a google search expains all that. Doing that doesn't fix the issues with the PS3, UPnP will just be come "Not Available". It just happens because of Rogers  modem. So no, you're basic explanation that any google search could fine is not the "SOLUTION" as you so called announced and you are wrong because you do not fully understand what the issue is when it comes to gaming on a Rogers Internet connection.

Even when my friend would bring over his PS4 we would have strange things happen that he would never experience at home. He has a basic package at home (probably 30mb/s connection) and I had a 100mb/s at the time which would work great and connecting to servers would be nice fast. BUT becasue the UPnP is unstable on a Rogers connection you need a router to run the connection through (forget the term for it) so that the router is the primary controller of the Internet and the modem is just there to connect you to it. In other words making the Modem almost useless. The modem messes up the connection with the UPnP which is needed to play games online. When things would happen on the PS4 it was because the UPnP was unstable and would slightly disconnect for a second or 2 causing issues with online gaming.

So like the title of this topic says,"STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING", It's a completely true. If you don't go out and buy a router to connect to your modem you might as well give up on trying to have a clean connection with Rogers for gaming.

@panache so after explaing all that, you now know that you're simple Google search responce is not good enough when dealing with Rogers. You can do what panache says but without a router attached you're still going to have issues gaming on a Rogers Internet connection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rogers doesn't like the pictures I uploaded so I don't think they will like any of my hilarious signatures too.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not saying to stay with rogers.. each person needs to evaluate their needs, and go with whatever provider is best for them.

Just be aware, of how/what each provider uses, etc.

Mostof the MAJOR ones (bell, rogers, etc) all use all in one modems..
90% of just about any provider review you see out there (in canada and US) which use all in one devices.. you will see complaints from stuff like this to a myriad of other things 😞

Going with a 3rd party provider.. you can then get a modem only device.
But then you have to get your own router then anyways.. (which then is no different than putting rogers in bridged)

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I really hope Rogers does improve routing for gaming. I know for sure Riot Games partenered with Rogers to improve latency for League of Legends. However for other titles such as GTA V, Battlefield 4, Counterstrike: Global Offensive(CS:GO) , and ETC there really needs to be an improvement in routing to the game servers. For example, in CSGO I sometimes notice that I would be playing with Europeans with a ping of 120ms+. In Battlefield 4 and GTA V, I find myself in an online session with fewer than 5 people. Would buying a router fix these routing problems?

Anyways, I highly suggest for Rogers to improve connection to MANY game servers. Like I said connection to CS:GO, Battlefield 4, and GTA V game servers need work on.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sure I can agree that it can all depend on what you use the Internet for but as a gamer I know for a fact that having a router connect to your modem set on Bridged mode does improve the connection quality in gaming. I have had several issues with Rogers when it comes to gaming. As Internet is now provided for me I do not need Rogers Internet, but when I do move again and get my own Internet I will be getting a router so that I can improve my connection when gaming. Maybe by the time that happens Rogers will have an all in one modem that works properly and doesn't interupt gaming sessions. I found Rogers was great for watching live streams, surfind the web, and downloading but when it came to my hobby of gaming that's where it lacked quality.