STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

the problems i have with is a pc game. more specifically league and starcraft currently. by the way the hitron modem i have is a all in one so theres no point for a third party router. although it might be the modem causing the problem as wired mode does not do anything anytime

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The intel_ce_linux thing is fine. It's what it reports when the node does show a specific name (and is ip only)

Are you able to post the tracerts here so I can take a look?

PC wise.. I doubt it's a NAT issue, usually more only effects stuff like Xbox/PS3, etc. but it's possible.
The suggestion of using your own router is that they tend to have less NAT issues than the rogers ones.
(As well as they offen have more options, better range, etc anyways. )

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Dear Rogers ,

I have had so many issues with internet gaming, your device (modem/hub) are not competible with online gaming at all. Its not the SPEED , get it ? you need to update/upgrade your network devices. You need to invest in order to have stable connection for all gamers out there. If i was working in your marketing department, I would have create a 1 big promo product and call it " LAG FREE GAMING INTERNET".

Why are you making customers going through ADVANCE settings to setup port forwarding, static ip's, DMZ ? Why would i have to go through this pain every time. As a customer, my expectation from rogers to have solid connection with less Letency, Ping, Package lost.  I pay 83 dolars for 100mbps with 10 upload.

I have friend in Brazil, USA, Canada. I asked all , people leaves in the EASTERN part of Canada have issues. This is not related to user settings at all. You sell a product 100mbps with uncabple equipment to handle network traffic.  That how simple is ?

Older building has non updated network switches, when users are online in a peak our for older building. The network equipments in the building cannot handle multiple traffics. You need to start changing your equipments and update older buildings. Look at new condo's have less problem with older ones. So STOP blamming customer, do your work.

Lastly. Please train your customer support techinicians and on site technicians. They have no idea about network. Specially technician comes home, they only do simple signal check on coax cable. If signal is fine, they dont go through any other settings. Because they have no idea how network works AGAIN.

I will be canceling my Rogers cable after using for years. I switched many times for gaming issues, but noone takes extra miles to fix this from the root. You all know how to collect bills, but when it comes to service you really dont care about customers problems at all.

If you had a quality product, you wouldnt see hundreds of gaming lagging issues. And please dont reply to explain to me that you are here to help to resolve my problems. Total BS. I tried all possible solutions which i didnt need to as a customer.

goodluck to people who are in my position.

My question to all rogers ppl, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO IMPROVE GAMING LAGGING ISSUES recently ?

I Plan to Stick Around

While I agree that the Rogers supplied gateways are terrible especially if you do online gaming but blaming Rogers for all online game lag is ridiculous. In bridge mode with a decent 3rd party router gaming latencies are as good as you can expect.

Please remember the Internet is a very large worldwide network. Rogers does not control that network. They are only providing you the customer ACCESS to that network. Once your traffic is on the internet it is outside of Rogers control.

Here is an example/analogy to put it in perspective.

You are driving from Kitchener Ontario to Montreal Quebec. The street you live on is nice and quiet with little trafffic(this is the rogers network). Now you leave that street and you are on expressways and the 401(This is the internet). Now you are driving along the 401(again the INTERNET) and you get stopped in very heavy conjestion and traffic. Are you going to blame Rogers (who is only responsible for your street) for this massive slowdown? How can you? It is the INTERNET that is the problem not the ACCESS. Now you get to Montreal and you are at your desination  but service is very slow. You have been waiting in line for a long time with no answers. This is the GAME servers themselves that are slow...also a possibility for cuasing lag while gaming. Again can you blame Rogers for this. No you cant. also not in their control. 

If you troublshoot and find that it is the ACCESS then that is a different story. Also keep in mind that differnet ISPs have different arrangements on getting you onto the INTERNET. Some will therefore can have shorter or different paths to get to the same location thus improving gaming latency.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

sbenninger:

You make a very good point. I have a CGN3, which is bridged to an Asus RT-AC68U router and have no lag issues with different games. I have them set up properly on my router as required (port forwarding, etc.). I have played COD Ghosts Multiplayer with friends as far away as Malaysia without any lag issues (I'm in Toronto). I know that's hard to believe, but it's true.

FWIW: my NAT status is always open as well.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@sbenninger wrote:

While I agree that the Rogers supplied gateways are terrible especially if you do online gaming but blaming Rogers for all online game lag is ridiculous. In bridge mode with a decent 3rd party router gaming latencies are as good as you can expect.

Please remember the Internet is a very large worldwide network. Rogers does not control that network. They are only providing you the customer ACCESS to that network. Once your traffic is on the internet it is outside of Rogers control.

Here is an example/analogy to put it in perspective.

You are driving from Kitchener Ontario to Montreal Quebec. The street you live on is nice and quiet with little trafffic(this is the rogers network). Now you leave that street and you are on expressways and the 401(This is the internet). Now you are driving along the 401(again the INTERNET) and you get stopped in very heavy conjestion and traffic. Are you going to blame Rogers (who is only responsible for your street) for this massive slowdown? How can you? It is the INTERNET that is the problem not the ACCESS. Now you get to Montreal and you are at your desination  but service is very slow. You have been waiting in line for a long time with no answers. This is the GAME servers themselves that are slow...also a possibility for cuasing lag while gaming. Again can you blame Rogers for this. No you cant. also not in their control. 

If you troublshoot and find that it is the ACCESS then that is a different story. Also keep in mind that differnet ISPs have different arrangements on getting you onto the INTERNET. Some will therefore can have shorter or different paths to get to the same location thus improving gaming latency. 

Perhaps your analogy should be changed. Instead of using a little street to get onto the 401, perhaps it should be changed to a particular vehicle like a GM with an ignition key defect. This is comparable to a Rogers CGN3ACSMR. It is the vehicle that actually gets you onto the 401, just like the modem which gets you onto the Internet. If the vehicle is defective and you get stalled while on the 401, you are in trouble. People on here are reporting major issues for gamers when using the CGN3ACSMR. I have never had an issue when using my older Rogers modem along with my own 3rd party router. I guess I must be driving a Mercedes as opposed to a Cobalt!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm also hesitant to recommend Rogers to family/friends for gaming. I've done extensive tests and narrowed the problem down to Rogers peering partners showing huge packet loss mainly during prime time. I've also made posts on these issues previously. 

I contacted Rogers numerous times and had them run tests where most of the time they didn't find an issue because the packet loss comes and goes making it hard to pinpoint. After half a dozen or so times contacting them they finally found packet loss and forwarded the issue to their engineers. In the end they ended up saying the issue was not within their network so they can not do anything about it. I find it odd Rogers has no control over who their peering partners are? I then went to contact tata communications and mostly they ignored me and blamed Rogers. I then went to contact Blizzard which were very helpful and these were their replies 

" took a look at what you sent and did not see anything system wise that would cause any issues. However in the trace route and the WinMTR report you sent I do see issues with as6453.net. Sad to say they are a ISP that has had problems in the past with connection issues.
    When I looked at both documents I do see packet loss and latency especially in hop 7 on the WinMTR and hop 8 on both Trace Route and WinMTR. I would recommend talking to your ISP and find out if something is going, cable wise or if they just need a refresh."

2nd reply

"The problem with Backbone ISPs (which as6453.net is one) is that many other ISPs may also use them besides just Rogers so any one connection you find may still route through those problem spots. Since your ISP cannot do anything really other than put pressure on as6453.net to fix the issue, which is pretty much all we can do too"

In the end nothing got resolved and it seems it never will

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

You guys really dont see the point. As a I customer not a network admin, Why would i have to setup advance settings or use/purchase another router to do bridge mode. I appreciate the help and effort spend to explain the technicality of these issues. But imagine, not every customer will go through this pain.

If you had proper equipment, no need to do all these settings in advance. i dont need to invest another router and do a bridge mode or i dont need to spend my time doing all those advance settings.

I agreee that all users conenct from different continent, and its not only rogers issues to have lag. But the problem u guys dont see is, I play with more then 30 people in a competitive level FIFA 15. None of them has connection issuses. And surprisesingly when I say I use rogers, and I am from Canada. Their reaction is : Oh u are gonna have lag.

Make a product works with online gaming. Perhaps ur techinician comes home can do all those advance settings. If u dont want to pay him extra, again not my problem.

Thank you

Please try to accept customer feedback and understand their concern before submit a techinical resolutition. I am not here to fight, i am here to make point as a customer. If you dont get it , not my problem.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

great feedback.  Well said. I am sure someone will oppose to your comments from Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I am just on the phone canceling their services all of them. Their attitute is worse then their connection.