cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

CantPlayOnline
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not biased.... but after this, when my contract ends, I will be switching to Bell Fibe internet WITHOUT a single doubt.

For the past month, my Internet went from bad ... I play mainly FIFA 13 on XBOX 360 (always had to play with lag, as if my players were stuck in mud, can't make passes, couldn't turn... couldn't do anything for three years) to completely and literally unplayable.

Reason I stayed with them for so long was because there are no options... Bell uses phone line internet, and doesn't sound great... but after hearing that they have FTTN (fiber to the node) in my area, I'll be more than glad to try their internet out.

I wanted try playing an OTP game to test out my connection (got ANOTHER new modem because the useless tech support Rogers told me so after getting THREE other modems, with the same problem)

I have a picture of having a red bar connection, but it's on my iPhone, so I'll upload that later... but take a look at this when I pinged google.com and google.ca :

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/9897/wtfping2.png

851ms and 231ms? Is that a sad joke? After calling them 15+ times in two weeks, they kept brushing me off saying it's a problem with the modem, that there's no problem with the area (no congestion, signal is "fine"),

At first, I told them to send a technician to check the wiring/other possiblue issues, like congestion... but they said they wouldn't do it... until today, I was raging at the tech support and they finally got someone (probably another useless technician) to check it out, just to say "everything is ok" (as always).

So for people experiencing mud lag, button delay... it is NOT EA, IT IS your ISP! Why can others play EA perfectly while some others can't? Because it's the ISP's fault... some people say that FIFA is horrible, but other online games play fine.... well, FIFA uses P2P (and many ISP's throttle P2P traffic)

If you don't believe me, Rogers FIRST denied that they throttled P2P traffic, but FINALLY admitted that they did it and "promised" to stop throttling.

Here, take a look:
https://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab&q=rogers+online+gaming+throttling&oq=rogers+online+gaming+thro...

After my contract expires, I will cancel every single service with Rogers.. and that's a promise.

***edited labels***

145 REPLIES 145

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

wowsers53
I Plan to Stick Around

I game every single night and on the weekend during the day with Xbox Live and mine works perfectly.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Like wowers said, mine works fine as well.

Every persons situation is different.
The multiple people who have posted here saying they can do it fine is proof that you can do it.
But each persons location, city, node, poi, etc they connect to can make a difference. Where one may be fine the next may not be.

This is not to say the user is at fault. (Well sometime can be but usually is still Rogers end) I 200% agree that Rogers needs to fix whatever is wrong and actually fix it for the users effected.

But to say for no one to get it, because some experience this, should only be used as a cautionary. The same can happen with any provider, based on the same factors. (IE the bell lines in this city are aful, and can only get the slowest speed one. Makes their provider useless for gaming here. But Rogers is fine)

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Oh, and if they say they can't send a tech, ask to talk to a supervisor and demand one.
They can't deny you having a tech sent out. They should just be giving the normal precautionary it's a chargeable visit if its something user at fault (user installed cable splitters, etc.)

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Like GDKitty pointed out correctly all users have different experience and internet services vary greatly by the area. I live in the Ottawa area and have been using Rogers Internet for 9 years. During those nine years I only had two short service outages, had to reboot a modem maybe 8-9 times - that all the problems I had in nine years. On the other side Rogers increased the speed of my package at least 6 times FREE of charge. So, overall, I had and currently have very good experience with Internet Service from Rogers.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have been with rogers, in some form or another for internet, except for about 6 months when i first moved to the city i am in now.  We are going back to the rogers @ home BETA program (i was in it at my parrents place.. we are talking the first cable internet, at a whopping 256k!!).  We are talking 1995.

Almost 20 years.  And taking the amount of times we have had to call in (for outages or issues) for internet problems, averages less than once a year... i think this year with the DNS and ouages has been the MOST in one year to date.

But again, it may be the city/location (i have always lived in newmarket or NORTH.. so alot less populated/congested than say toronto)

Prices, over time, yes have increased ever couple of years.  But overall, not that much.  After my brief 6 months elsewhere, came back to the express pacakge, which was around $41-43 at the time.  Its now $53.. so has gone up $10 in the 7 or so years.  BUT.. it was originaly a 10mb/256k service then.  Its now 25/2.

Again.. everyone need to take their own situation into effect.  Before picking ANY provider, do your research.  Check with existing rogers (or otherwise) users in the area.. see how the speed/stability is, before going to them.

There are many factors which can effect it, yes it can be back end, but also can be front end without you knowing/having controle (old lines, etc... which can happen with ANY company)

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I think I have you beat. Before it was called Rogers@Home, it was known as Rogers Wave. It was a verb used around my high school at the time to say you were on The Wave...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actualy, you are correct.. it was 18-19 years ago.. so my memory is a little foggy 😛

It was rogers wave first for a year or two, then went to rogers @ home, then to rogers, then to rogers yahoo, etc 😛

I lived in Newmarket at the time.. which was the TESTING area for the high speed internet.  There was a total of 50 people who were in the BETA testing for it, our houshold got the LAST spot.

The original modem, was only 256k, and was about almost as long as my keyboard.

CantPlayOnline
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, it's most certainly a big congestion issue.... and they won't fix. As some people mention, they will ALWAYS deny congestion.

P2P games like NHL and FIFA are completely unplayable...  

The only time I had a decent game where I could actually control my guys properly was at around 4 AM... I don't video games at 4 AM often... 

So as you said, "But each persons location, city, node, poi, etc they connect to can make a difference." obviously they don't want to fix the issue... it's THEIR FAULT... and they don't want to fix it. All they do is petend that nothing is wrong, and do nothing.

Well, as I said, I am 1000000% sure that I will never, ever pay a single penny to Rogers again after this contract.... and sign with Bell Fibe.

Does anyone know if Bell Fibe internet is dedicated and not shared Internet like garbage Rogers internet? Why shold MY internet get affected by OTHER people in the neighbourhood?

In the end.. ALL internet is 'shared' in some form.  part of a street filters to a box on the street, those streets, to a bigger line.  THose lines, to the closest POI/CO.  From there, to the more main rogers central connection to the rest of the iternet.
As you go along, the pipes.. what its transported on, should be bigger and bigger, to allow mega multiple people on it.

Bell works the same way.  Into your house, its not true fibre.  Its your regular old telephone line, from there, to the closest CO.  Now, from there, is where it hops onto the fibre.  Now, this fibre pipe from THAT point on, is possible bigger than the other forms of infrastructure (telephone/cable).. all depends on the area.  (some areas, the cable signal is converted to fiber for the last leg of the trip as well, etc).

THey are with fibe trying to put DSLAMS (or i guess they are OSLAMS) now closer to areas services.. so they are a shorter distance from the house to this point, before switching over.  This should lessen the chance of congestion.  Though i do remember hearing something about them not upgrading ALL of these points, some using older ones, which have been leading to problems.

So there is always the potential for the same thing with bell.. again, depending on the lines, the layout of the infrastructure in the subdivision.  Again, why i recomended asking around to someone else using the service in the area, and see how it is.

I 100% agree, its something that rogers needs to own up to, and FIX.  I 100% understand you wanting to leave, and rightfully so.

You are unfortunately one of the % that is effected by this... and luckily its not 100% that are effected by it.

Turlur
I'm Here A Lot

Just ran a SpeedTest.net test and thought I would share..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2751090022.png

Ping: 12 ms

Download: 36.43 Mbps
Upload: 10.58 Mbps

My Location: London, ON

Server Test Location: Toronto, ON (Tekk Savvy Soultions)

My only complaint is my speed, not my latency. I am supposed to get 150Mbps/10Mbps Down/Up

Good luck!

Eddie_DZ
I Plan to Stick Around

Maritimes, ps3, rogers Extreme 30 down 10 up, average ping of 30ms, hitron modem. I myself just like the other 20 million gamers, experience lag every now and then and most of the times its the other players who are in other countries.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Turlur wrote:

Just ran a SpeedTest.net test and thought I would share..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2751090022.png

Ping: 12 ms

Download: 36.43 Mbps
Upload: 10.58 Mbps

My Location: London, ON

Server Test Location: Toronto, ON (Tekk Savvy Soultions)

My only complaint is my speed, not my latency. I am supposed to get 150Mbps/10Mbps Down/Up

Good luck!

Your definately getting your up, which is good.

Have you tried speed tests to OTHER servers as well? Even in other cities? See what the speed tests gives you for there.
The only reason i say that, is the ROUTING to those servers, can effect your speed.
I have a friends on Techsavvy themselves (which uses rogers lines).  They are in K/W.  If they speed test to K/W, they are barely getting their 25mbps, usualy closer to 20.  But if they do one of the toronto ones.. they get OVER their 25.  Why?
Likely, due to the way the data is being routed.. to get to that K/W server, it is having to route from their, to say toronto, and then back again.. vs straight to toronto is actualy the SHORTER path.

Also, make sure to do the speed tests, when there is NOTHING else going on.. no gaming, downloads, netflix, etc going on.

CantPlayOnline
I Plan to Stick Around

if you read what I said, it doesn't matter who I play, I always lag and feel like my players/team is stuck in quick sand (because of congested internet)

i have three xbox's btw..

an average joe wouldn't notice the lag at all.... only people who play competitvely or for money are sensitive (can tell) the difference between a good connection or not.

when it comes to online gaming, having a good a connection is the #1 thing (even more important than skill) because even if you're good and your connection blows, in COD, you could shoot at someone but your bullets might not register.... in nhl or fifa, your guys feel like they are stuck in mud/quick sand... etc...almost unplayable.

doesn't matter though, I've learned my lesson and done everything that I could possibly have done. only option now is to switch to bell.... at least bell internet is dedicated.

lol and btw, the techinician showed me that 5 of my neighbours (including me) share ONE line... haha. that's embarassing...

rogers never again...

Bell fibe is dedicated internet.... rogers isn't... I wish I would have known earlier and didn't lock myself into a contract

I am jelly of that download, I am supposed to get 25 but lucky if I get near 10.

Eddie_DZ
I Plan to Stick Around
bell dedicated internet? perhaps if its a business line i think.., like Rogers business internet which is dedicated as well (according to their price plan), but for consumers i highly doubt it unless it cost a butt load of money per month, but who would seriously pay so much money per month for internet only cause they are lagging in some online game? wow..

wowsers53
I Plan to Stick Around

@CantPlayOnline wrote:

if you read what I said, it doesn't matter who I play, I always lag and feel like my players/team is stuck in quick sand (because of congested internet)

i have three xbox's btw..

an average joe wouldn't notice the lag at all.... only people who play competitvely or for money are sensitive (can tell) the difference between a good connection or not.

when it comes to online gaming, having a good a connection is the #1 thing (even more important than skill) because even if you're good and your connection blows, in COD, you could shoot at someone but your bullets might not register.... in nhl or fifa, your guys feel like they are stuck in mud/quick sand... etc...almost unplayable.

doesn't matter though, I've learned my lesson and done everything that I could possibly have done. only option now is to switch to bell.... at least bell internet is dedicated.

lol and btw, the techinician showed me that 5 of my neighbours (including me) share ONE line... haha. that's embarassing...

rogers never again...

Bell fibe is dedicated internet.... rogers isn't... I wish I would have known earlier and didn't lock myself into a contract

I am not an AVERAGE JOE even though I only own 1 Xbox. Owning 3, doesn't make you superior. Apparently, this is what you try to convey here. Like I said previously, I play MW2 every single night and a lot on weekends and I don't experience the problem you have. I'm beginning to think that you like to complaint just for the sake of it. 

Good afternoon Community!

I'd just like to remind everyone that this thread was created by the OP to discuss and troubleshoot his internet connectivity when gaming. Let's try to keep the discussion civil and try not to venture into an argument about gaming prowess. 

Thank you.

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

RogersCorey is just mad because he doesn't have any XBOXes...... Just kidding.

Anyways. The OP of this post can't be taken seriously because they have neglected to provide any substantiating support to their claim. They constantly claim that it's not their end that's the problem, and yet when others have asked for more information regarding the hardware setup or anything else, there isn't any reply other than, "It can't possibly be my end".

With that said, it doesn't mean the problem OP is experiencing is in fact on their end, which could be the case. There have been times when Rogers was unable to provide me with a stable internet connection. In fact, I'm on my 5th Hitron modem because the others all kept randomly disconnecting. The only change that was ever done on my end was replacing the modem.

Food for thought.

Unfortunately, just to correct a point above.  Bell is NOT direct internet connection.  maybe SLIGHTLY moreso than rogers, but only marginaly.

Rogers, your house line, connects to the box on the street, from there, goes into a BIGER cable with that street, which usualy connect into a larger line, then from there usualy to a CO/POI point.

Bell, really the only step you skip there, is the line down the street together.  Phone lines run individualy to the closest DSLAM usualy..   Usualy there is a conversion then, to a larger cable where its grouped, going to the closest CO.

Advantage to fibe now, is that there is fibre to the CO now, so a BIGGER pipe

Really in the end, BOTH types of internet, work generaly the same.. and both can suffer from the same thing.

Again as i have stated before.. EVERYONE needs to assess their situation, even before getting the internet, by looking around, etc.
Not EVERY location has fibe yet, etc.  Some areas (say like where i am), Rogers is always going to be the better choice.. why?  The phone line infrastructure here is POOR.. and all the DSL providers, all have a max 6mb/256k service. 

eagle1903
I've Been Around

I hear, i seee , i witness, i experience your pain. I use the latest modem , same problems over and over. Lost packages. Lack of internet connection stability. Pooor peak hours connection speed.impacts all online experience. I will.cancel next month. Rogers should improve their connection and finding solution to.fix connection problems rather then asking too many questions. 

Many of your issues there.. tend to be line, congestion, etc issues..

Thats not saying that its not rogers fault.. it IS... and something they should fix in your area.

(in an area that this doesnt happen in.. it doesnt have the same problems)

Just make sure if you are canceling, look at who/what you are going with. 
Switching to another provider, which rents from rogers lines, etc.. could have the same exact issues.. so take that into consideration when looking at others.

Topic Stats