STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Haha Rogers Internet is the worst Internet in the world. Anyone reading this that isn't with Rogers don't even think about getting it. Especially for gaming. The Internet quits all the time and disconnects everything. I can't even connect to Xbox Live because the modem won't connect to the Internet. Why should anyone pay for this garbage? Every time we call Rogers tech support they say it should be working. Well guess what? It's not! I've called multiple times and every time I get told what I've heard before. They won't send a technician to my house. They don't even want to fix it! It's a rip off. I hope I save you some trouble, and I hope Rogers loses a lot of customers and realizes that they need to step up and do something!

I Plan to Stick Around

I game every single night and on the weekend during the day with Xbox Live and mine works perfectly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Like wowers said, mine works fine as well.

Every persons situation is different.
The multiple people who have posted here saying they can do it fine is proof that you can do it.
But each persons location, city, node, poi, etc they connect to can make a difference. Where one may be fine the next may not be.

This is not to say the user is at fault. (Well sometime can be but usually is still Rogers end) I 200% agree that Rogers needs to fix whatever is wrong and actually fix it for the users effected.

But to say for no one to get it, because some experience this, should only be used as a cautionary. The same can happen with any provider, based on the same factors. (IE the bell lines in this city are aful, and can only get the slowest speed one. Makes their provider useless for gaming here. But Rogers is fine)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh, and if they say they can't send a tech, ask to talk to a supervisor and demand one.
They can't deny you having a tech sent out. They should just be giving the normal precautionary it's a chargeable visit if its something user at fault (user installed cable splitters, etc.)

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Like GDKitty pointed out correctly all users have different experience and internet services vary greatly by the area. I live in the Ottawa area and have been using Rogers Internet for 9 years. During those nine years I only had two short service outages, had to reboot a modem maybe 8-9 times - that all the problems I had in nine years. On the other side Rogers increased the speed of my package at least 6 times FREE of charge. So, overall, I had and currently have very good experience with Internet Service from Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have been with rogers, in some form or another for internet, except for about 6 months when i first moved to the city i am in now.  We are going back to the rogers @ home BETA program (i was in it at my parrents place.. we are talking the first cable internet, at a whopping 256k!!).  We are talking 1995.

Almost 20 years.  And taking the amount of times we have had to call in (for outages or issues) for internet problems, averages less than once a year... i think this year with the DNS and ouages has been the MOST in one year to date.

But again, it may be the city/location (i have always lived in newmarket or NORTH.. so alot less populated/congested than say toronto)

Prices, over time, yes have increased ever couple of years.  But overall, not that much.  After my brief 6 months elsewhere, came back to the express pacakge, which was around $41-43 at the time.  Its now $53.. so has gone up $10 in the 7 or so years.  BUT.. it was originaly a 10mb/256k service then.  Its now 25/2.

Again.. everyone need to take their own situation into effect.  Before picking ANY provider, do your research.  Check with existing rogers (or otherwise) users in the area.. see how the speed/stability is, before going to them.

There are many factors which can effect it, yes it can be back end, but also can be front end without you knowing/having controle (old lines, etc... which can happen with ANY company)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I think I have you beat. Before it was called Rogers@Home, it was known as Rogers Wave. It was a verb used around my high school at the time to say you were on The Wave...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actualy, you are correct.. it was 18-19 years ago.. so my memory is a little foggy 😛

It was rogers wave first for a year or two, then went to rogers @ home, then to rogers, then to rogers yahoo, etc 😛

I lived in Newmarket at the time.. which was the TESTING area for the high speed internet.  There was a total of 50 people who were in the BETA testing for it, our houshold got the LAST spot.

The original modem, was only 256k, and was about almost as long as my keyboard.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, it's most certainly a big congestion issue.... and they won't fix. As some people mention, they will ALWAYS deny congestion.

P2P games like NHL and FIFA are completely unplayable...  

The only time I had a decent game where I could actually control my guys properly was at around 4 AM... I don't video games at 4 AM often... 

So as you said, "But each persons location, city, node, poi, etc they connect to can make a difference." obviously they don't want to fix the issue... it's THEIR FAULT... and they don't want to fix it. All they do is petend that nothing is wrong, and do nothing.

Well, as I said, I am 1000000% sure that I will never, ever pay a single penny to Rogers again after this contract.... and sign with Bell Fibe.

Does anyone know if Bell Fibe internet is dedicated and not shared Internet like garbage Rogers internet? Why shold MY internet get affected by OTHER people in the neighbourhood?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In the end.. ALL internet is 'shared' in some form.  part of a street filters to a box on the street, those streets, to a bigger line.  THose lines, to the closest POI/CO.  From there, to the more main rogers central connection to the rest of the iternet.
As you go along, the pipes.. what its transported on, should be bigger and bigger, to allow mega multiple people on it.

Bell works the same way.  Into your house, its not true fibre.  Its your regular old telephone line, from there, to the closest CO.  Now, from there, is where it hops onto the fibre.  Now, this fibre pipe from THAT point on, is possible bigger than the other forms of infrastructure (telephone/cable).. all depends on the area.  (some areas, the cable signal is converted to fiber for the last leg of the trip as well, etc).

THey are with fibe trying to put DSLAMS (or i guess they are OSLAMS) now closer to areas services.. so they are a shorter distance from the house to this point, before switching over.  This should lessen the chance of congestion.  Though i do remember hearing something about them not upgrading ALL of these points, some using older ones, which have been leading to problems.

So there is always the potential for the same thing with bell.. again, depending on the lines, the layout of the infrastructure in the subdivision.  Again, why i recomended asking around to someone else using the service in the area, and see how it is.

I 100% agree, its something that rogers needs to own up to, and FIX.  I 100% understand you wanting to leave, and rightfully so.

You are unfortunately one of the % that is effected by this... and luckily its not 100% that are effected by it.