STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

I'm not biased.... but after this, when my contract ends, I will be switching to Bell Fibe internet WITHOUT a single doubt.

For the past month, my Internet went from bad ... I play mainly FIFA 13 on XBOX 360 (always had to play with lag, as if my players were stuck in mud, can't make passes, couldn't turn... couldn't do anything for three years) to completely and literally unplayable.

Reason I stayed with them for so long was because there are no options... Bell uses phone line internet, and doesn't sound great... but after hearing that they have FTTN (fiber to the node) in my area, I'll be more than glad to try their internet out.

I wanted try playing an OTP game to test out my connection (got ANOTHER new modem because the useless tech support Rogers told me so after getting THREE other modems, with the same problem)

I have a picture of having a red bar connection, but it's on my iPhone, so I'll upload that later... but take a look at this when I pinged google.com and google.ca :

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/9897/wtfping2.png

851ms and 231ms? Is that a sad joke? After calling them 15+ times in two weeks, they kept brushing me off saying it's a problem with the modem, that there's no problem with the area (no congestion, signal is "fine&quotSmiley Wink,

At first, I told them to send a technician to check the wiring/other possiblue issues, like congestion... but they said they wouldn't do it... until today, I was raging at the tech support and they finally got someone (probably another useless technician) to check it out, just to say "everything is ok" (as always).

So for people experiencing mud lag, button delay... it is NOT EA, IT IS your ISP! Why can others play EA perfectly while some others can't? Because it's the ISP's fault... some people say that FIFA is horrible, but other online games play fine.... well, FIFA uses P2P (and many ISP's throttle P2P traffic)

If you don't believe me, Rogers FIRST denied that they throttled P2P traffic, but FINALLY admitted that they did it and "promised" to stop throttling.

Here, take a look:
https://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab&q=rogers+online+gaming+throttling&oq=rogers+online+gaming+thro...

After my contract expires, I will cancel every single service with Rogers.. and that's a promise.

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: STAY AWAY from Rogers for ONLINE GAMING

Can we get some more information in order to further understand your problem?

What kind of hardware are you using? (Modem, Router, network card for your gaming rig)?

Which device is running Quality of Service and what kind of rules did you set up?

Which internet package do you have and do you do any streaming or downloading while you game?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not to say its NOT rogers fault.. there are many people who experience back end issues, dropouts, etc.

But as TeDD13 was asking, there are internal things which can do this as well..

It is your choice, you have to do what is best for you.  But the problems you are experiencing may be LOCAL to the area or your home only.

I have rogers express package only, and am able to game both on the 360 and PC without a problem, and can even do so while having a torrent running.

Not saying its not rogers job to FIX it, it IS (they will ALWAYS deny congestion).  Just make sure that the other choices are working well.. if there are line or congestion issues with the other provider, you could run into the same thing or worse.

I Plan to Stick Around

If you can tinker with he settings for the P2P connection, changing "listening port", etc, then I would start there.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh my god, you wouldn't even believe it...

The technician, who came today and did NOTHING.... but check if the wires/signal are good, and apparently, they are "perfect"... what did Rogers do? They charged me $50 for NOTHING... HAHA.

Luckily, the supervisor reversed the charge (why should I be paying for garbage internet in the first place? I should be getting creditted... not charged for terrible service)

Anyways, another technician is coming over tomorrow... again, just to say that "everything is ok".

The guy on the phone did mention something about the signal not being stable or something on the modem... that's the only thing he could see from his end.

This is disgusting, but if the issue doesn't get resolved, then tomorrow I will be cancelling Rogers Internet (even if I have to pay the fees). This is incredibly disgusting.

By the way, I swapped 3 MODEM'S..... 3 of them. 

I did some research on google, and no one is complaining about lag for online gaming with Bell Fibe internet... I heard they offer FTTN internet (which sounds decent)... I'm hoping at least with Bell, I can have good internet where the internet doesn't drop randomly ... and I hope I can finally play online gaming without getting upset that I'm lagging and can't play because the internet is terrible.

**edited for content**

Can't help but feel the problem is on your end. I've been playing games for years on Rogers and have never had any problems. Other than coming here and complaining about Rogers (which it deserves anyways) you haven't provided any information to make your claims credible.

I Plan to Stick Around

Same here. I have had an Xbox for 7 years now and no problem gaming online which I do every single night. But sorry for your situation.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@CantPlayOnline wrote:

Oh my god, you wouldn't even believe it...

The technician, who came today and did NOTHING.... but check if the wires/signal are good, and apparently, they are "perfect"... what did Rogers do? They charged me $50 for NOTHING... HAHA.

Luckily, the supervisor reversed the charge (why should I be paying for garbage internet in the first place? I should be getting creditted... not charged for terrible service)

Anyways, another technician is coming over tomorrow... again, just to say that "everything is ok".

The guy on the phone did mention something about the signal not being stable or something on the modem... that's the only thing he could see from his end.

This is disgusting, but if the issue doesn't get resolved, then tomorrow I will be cancelling Rogers Internet (even if I have to pay the fees). This is incredibly disgusting.

By the way, I swapped 3 MODEM'S..... 3 of them. 

I did some research on google, and no one is complaining about lag for online gaming with Bell Fibe internet... I heard they offer FTTN internet (which sounds decent)... I'm hoping at least with Bell, I can have good internet where the internet doesn't drop randomly ... and I hope I can finally play online gaming without getting upset that I'm lagging and can't play because the internet is terrible.

**edited for content**

No question about it, the dropouts with the totally garbage D3 modems are nothing but sad and Rogers should be ashamed of themselves for providing this equipment. No matter what anyone else says on here, people are having numerous problems with these modems. The fact that you have exchanged  these modems 3 times is proof of that. Keep fighting or switch providers. Rogers Internet is horrible.

I am not a Rogers employee, nor will I beg you to like my posts! 

I Plan to Stick Around

What information do you even want? How the **bleep** can this be a problem from my end if the guy just came here today and said everything was fine? That the signal was good, and that there shouldn't be any problem? If there was no problems, I'd honestly wouldn't complain, or even waste my time.... wished I never signed a contract with them.

Speed: 45 DL/ 4 UP

Modem: SMC ( swapped three of them), I even tried a Cisco modem, and that was the worst modem I have ever used... not just for the Internet in general (I was getting poor speeds and the lag was so much worst on Xbox)

If it's a congestion issue, they will NOT admit... they don't want to fix it, simple is that... and congestion would be the most logical reason, because sometimes at late night, the connection is literally so responsive and smooth (like it should be) but during the day, it completely craps out... but a week ago, it got even worst, and now, it's unplayable at night as well.

Whatever the problem is, IT'S NOT MY FAULT... but something wrong with the area/Rogers' fault.

So you use SMC gateway in full gateway mode?

It seems like the problem is in your computer. If Rogers confirmed that the signal strength at your home is fine and replaced 3 modems (it is very unlikely that all 3 modems were defective) it is your own responsibility now, not the Rogers'.