SSL/TLS Traffic Shaping on Rogers Ignite Service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

SSL/TLS Traffic Shaping on Rogers Ignite Service

Hey everyone,

My brother's ignite account with 250 MB/S download is amazingly fast with HTTP traffic speed tests however the second a VPN tunnel or an HTTPS download is initiated, the traffic is throttled to a painstaking 400 kb/s download speed within the browser.

It also seems there have been some major organizations whitelisted to this policy, ie Google, Apple, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

Can anyone verify or acknowledge that this is happening?  I'm taking any HTTPS or FTPS or SSL traffic being throttled to various dedicated 500 mbit servers for media content,  I have tried the download from my TekSavvy account, and there is nothing being throttled with HTTPS, VPN or FTPS.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: SSL/TLS Traffic Shaping on Rogers Ignite Service

Not sure in the BROWSER...

But i am on ignite 100... and while i dont get anywhere near my max download as with my VPN off...
With the VPN on, i am able to gain close to 2megabyte /s (not BYTES not BITS.. so close to 16mbps) downloads in torrents.

One issue with many VPNS.. while yes they will allow unlimited throughput on them, etc... you are not gauranteed that you will be able to get your plans full speed beteween you & the VPN host location, let alone your end point location.  The further away from you that you go.. the more chance of latency, slow downs, etc.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Hello @skeets73

Thank you for your post, interesting question. Currently, I’m using VPN and I have tried replicating the issue and did not notice any slow down or throttling.

@Community, please chime in with your experience in this regard, thank you.

Regards,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure in the BROWSER...

But i am on ignite 100... and while i dont get anywhere near my max download as with my VPN off...
With the VPN on, i am able to gain close to 2megabyte /s (not BYTES not BITS.. so close to 16mbps) downloads in torrents.

One issue with many VPNS.. while yes they will allow unlimited throughput on them, etc... you are not gauranteed that you will be able to get your plans full speed beteween you & the VPN host location, let alone your end point location.  The further away from you that you go.. the more chance of latency, slow downs, etc.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The VPN I'm using is my own private VPN to my TekSavvy internet through a corporate firewall. I'm connecting this and testing to make sure it is in fact the secure traffic which I suspect to be throttled.

I've even used a web proxy on a random port and attempted to download my media through the Rogers Account and experienced the slow speeds still.

When going home on TekSavvy, I'm downloading from the same server, getting 10 mb/sec in browser or FTPS session.

Very odd.