SSH or Telnet into W35 Ericsson Hub

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

SSH or Telnet into W35 Ericsson Hub

I need to remotely setup port forwarding for RDP, so I need to telnet or SSH into the Ericsson wireless Hub. According to the manual, both functions are available, so my question is:

1) What's the root password in order to login

2) Is there a ram limit on the RSA key size I can upload

Thanks in advance

***Edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: SSH or Telnet into W35 Ericsson Hub;anyone hacked into the W35???

@Rhodess:

you are correct in stating: "...telnet or SSH into the Ericsson wireless Hub..........both functions are available...".  These functions are documented in Ericsson documentation freely available on line.

As a W35 RocketHub user for about 18 months, I have had reason to attempt telnet into the W35, but have not been successful.  At one time I was experimenting with my network configuration, and wanted to modify the internal W35 routing table, a function not available at the web-based management interface.

Rogers has not revealed the required information, and apparently has contractual arrangements with Ericsson that prohibits them from revealing what the username/password information have been set to for the Rogers W35 variant.  I presume this have been done by Rogers to attempt to limit customer "creativity" and the subsequent support problems this might possibly cause.

This is kind of hypocritical of Rogers, as their support stance generally is not that great anyway.  In my experience the Rogers support staff has absolutely no problem either pleading total ignorance on what I would consider a legitimate support matter (with zero follow-up by second-level support staff) or just telling a caller that they simply don't consider their issue a Rogers problem, leaving the customer hanging.

In discussions I have had with Rogers support staff on unrelated support matters, when telnet into the unit would have been useful for troubleshooting, I got the response either of ignorance of the telnet capability on the W35, or a basic statement that they could/would not do it, and/or they did not have access to the required login parameters.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has succeeded in hacking into the W35 at the telnet level.  I have not heard of it personally, but that does not mean it has not happened.  I guess we should appeal here to anyone who does have knowledge of this, or has done this.

So: anyone successfully hacked into the Ericsson W35, Rogers RocketHub, Anyone out there??????

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: SSH or Telnet into W35 Ericsson Hub;anyone hacked into the W35???

Hi,

I was old by Rogesr that after the 2 year contract they are willing to unlock this devies for $50. it will be interresting to see what they mean by unlocking. For me unlocking means that I fully own and control a device and as such I have all the passwords for it.

On the other hand I suspect that for Rogers this means that they just remove the carrier lock that prevent using other companies SIM cards.

I'm an Advisor

Re: SSH or Telnet into W35 Ericsson Hub

@Rhodess:

this and related matters have been discussed in a previous thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2455

Perhaps the Postings there are relevant to your questions.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

I don't get it. It takes 5 minutes to set up the DMZ on my Telus router to accept incoming RDC connection to a desktop computer yet I have been trying for weeks to get something similiar set up on my Ericsson Rocket Hub! I have tried just about everything via port forwarding and still can't connect. This should be simple enough but no way. Has anyone simply opened up a port to allow a connection to a computer on their home network?

Thanks

Richard

I'm an Advisor

@axislogic:

determine the Internet IP address of your RocketHub by using the following URL:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

Record this IP address on a piece of paper.

Now, go to another computer in another location, work , a friends place, or local WiFi hotspot or whereever, and try to ping that address that you found previously.

What result do you get?  Now try a tracert to that IP address.  What result do you get?  I'll bet you can't access your Internet IP address directly from elsewhere on the Internet.

Basically, the way Rogers has set up Internet access on the cellular network, you cannot access your RocketHub, or anything on your LAN behind the RocketHub, from the Internet.  No inbound access is possible.  Maybe this will take a public IP address, which some have mentioned will cost another $10 a month from Rogers.  Then others have stated that Rogers will not do this for RocketHub owners.

So, the problem is not with your RocketHub.  The problem is with Rogers and the way the Rogers network is setup and configured.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

Your right about not being able to ping the IP for the hub but I thought I might have been doing things incorrectly when I set up the gateway in RDC. No matter what settings I use it cannot find the IP of the hub. Thanks for clarifying that it is Rogers who isn't allowing access to computers behind the hub firewall. I wonder why! I switched to Rogers and I am happy with their coverage and service but I do need to get through to one of my computers when I am travelling so I may have to go to another provider to get this capability.

Richard