cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH Tunnel to MySQL server on port 3306 keeps disconnecting after a couple of minutes of inactivity

Ou81aswell
I Plan to Stick Around

I had Rogers cable/internet at my old place and used a program called plink.exe to create an SSH tunnel on port 3306 to a MySQL server in Texas. I used it daily and never had any problems with tunneling.

I've just moved to a new place (about 1km from the old one).  I upgraded to Rogers Hi-Speed Ultimate and got a Cisco router running "Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway".

Everything works as expected (web, email, skype, ssh etc) except my tunnel seems to get disconnected after about 2 minutes of inactivity and I'm constantly having to restart it (plink).

Might this be related to the new router? Can anyone suggest a setting that I've missed?

Thanks.

***edited labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: SSH Tunnel to MySQL server on port 3306 keeps disconnecting after a couple of minutes of inactiv

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That would be my guess, its the new gatway.

You are just running the Cisco itself, and no other router with it? (using the wireless and routing out of the cisco).

First thing i would try, is put the cisco into bridged mode, theis effectively turns it just into a modem like you probably had previously.  And add your own router.  If it is a routing problem with the cisco that was doing it, this should illiminate that.

Re: SSH Tunnel to MySQL server on port 3306 keeps disconnecting after a couple of minutes of inactiv

Ou81aswell
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.

I called  the company that manages my server and they suggested that it might have something to do with the new router but they were able to make some adjustments to the server software and the problem has gone away (fingers crossed). The plink software's output now shows that it's timing out but it responds with "Initiating key re-exchange (timeout)"

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation