cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM folder contents being downloaded

fireborne
I'm Here A Lot

Since Sunday or Monday, my email clients suddenly began downloading the contents of each Rogers Yahoo account's SPAM folder. I don't know what changed. This same thing happened a few years ago and eventually stopped.

I thought perhaps it was my Windows Live Mail client but the same thing happens when I start Thunderbird which I last used a month ago.

Is anyone else experiencing this? From what I've read, the contents of the SPAM folder should be inaccessible to a POP3 mail client.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SPAM folder contents being downloaded

RogersMoin

Hello, @fireborne

Thank you for your post. The spam getting downloaded to the email clients from all @rogers.com email accounts is really not helpful. I have seen this behavior before; most likely “Download spam” got enabled on your email accounts. If my assumption is right, the steps listed below shall fix it;

1. Please login to the webmail
  2. Please hover your mouse on the Cog (gear wheel) on the top right corner of the page
  3. Click on Settings
  4. In the left pane, click on Accounts (3rd from the top)
  5. In the right pane, click on Edit next to your email address
  6. In the new window which opens up, under POP option, make sure to select “Don’t download spam email
  7. Click Save at the bottom left
  8. Click Save again at the bottom left to exit Settings.

The above steps need to be repeated for all your @rogers.com email accounts.

If you already have “Don’t download spam email” selected in that field, then the issue needs to be further investigated. Please let us know, so that I can reach you out through @CommunityHelps. Hope this helpSmiley Happy

Thanks,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RogersMoin

Hello, @fireborne

Thank you for your post. The spam getting downloaded to the email clients from all @rogers.com email accounts is really not helpful. I have seen this behavior before; most likely “Download spam” got enabled on your email accounts. If my assumption is right, the steps listed below shall fix it;

1. Please login to the webmail
  2. Please hover your mouse on the Cog (gear wheel) on the top right corner of the page
  3. Click on Settings
  4. In the left pane, click on Accounts (3rd from the top)
  5. In the right pane, click on Edit next to your email address
  6. In the new window which opens up, under POP option, make sure to select “Don’t download spam email
  7. Click Save at the bottom left
  8. Click Save again at the bottom left to exit Settings.

The above steps need to be repeated for all your @rogers.com email accounts.

If you already have “Don’t download spam email” selected in that field, then the issue needs to be further investigated. Please let us know, so that I can reach you out through @CommunityHelps. Hope this helpSmiley Happy

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Good to know there was a 'fix' for this, way back when it started happening years ago.

Back then, i created (and its still there, i guess just in case), a filter.
That grabbed anything labeled [SPAM] In the subject and auto moved it out of my inbox.

That was it. The messages in my webmail SPAM are staying put rather than being downloaded. The solution seemed familiar once I got there. Thank you.

I'd sure like to know what caused this across all my Rogers email accounts.

Hello, @fireborne

Thank you for updating the Community and I'm glad the issue got resolved. I'll keep exploring the root cause behind that behaviour and I'll update you when I've something concrete.

Thank you for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.Smiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I have the same issue and under my account POP is checked and it's saying: " POP: You can check your Rogers Yahoo Mail in an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird. Spam will not be downloaded. " Yet, it's still downloading emails from the Spam folder (I think it started a few weeks/months ago).

It one reason i moved away from PoP 😞

If you switch over to the IMAP settings.. it will not download the spam.
It will actually SYNC everything.
So if you are on the yahoo app, etc on a phone, etc.. anything else using imap.. and delete a mail there, will already be deleted on the PC when synced.. and vice versa.

vandenbudenmaye
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your answer.

Actually, I have the problem on the PC and it's a pretty recent one. I use POP because that's what Rogers says to use in it's help on how to setup Outlook. I don't want the emails to be synched, so if I downloaded them on the PC I don't want them deleted when I delete them from the server (I don't delete them from the server either when deleting them from the PC). So, right now, as long as there are new messages on the server in the Spam folder, they get deleted by Outlook; they didn't use to a little while ago, and the settings haven't changed.

Actually, there was a typo in my last message: when I said " they get deleted by Outlook" I meant " they get downloaded" by Outlook. And that's the problem, Outlook downloads the emails in the Spam folder.

I've tried this solution countless times, and it still does not fix the problem. Is there another solution available as the amount of spam that gets downloaded is frustrating and unacceptable.

Please help.

Welcome to the Community @Stuntdan1

I see @Gdkitty has mentioned using IMAP to prevent this. Are you able to take advantage of this option?

Feel free to chime in with any other tips Community

RogersAsif

Outlook (and other email programs) are usually desgned to download EVERYTHING from the mail server.. regardless of who/what it was, however they were flagged.

Using IMAP instead of PoP, it should sync essentially.. all folders, etc.
So the SPAM folder would still be downloaded.. but should be kept in the spam folder seperately.

Beyond that, using PoP, the next best method is to set up a rule in outlook or your other program.
Set it up to look at the subject, for any mail that starts with [SPAM], [BULK], whatever the headers are.

And set them to move to your folder of choosing.

(while i dont use outlook anymore, my wife does, and this does work on hers)

My Rogers webmail has the following option selected:

"POP: You can check your Rogers Yahoo Mail in an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird. Spam will not be downloaded."

Yet my Outlook 2016 webclient shows all the content of the spam folder in my inbox.  How do I stop this.

Thanks

Seema

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 in conversation