SMTP output from Outlook getting password failure

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

SMTP output from Outlook getting password failure

Ok, my accounts been working just fine for a dog's age and there is no issues with the web client. Yesterday I started getting prompts for my password when sending out email but the mail would get sent. Today, nothing will go out and I keep getting prompted.

I'm loath to call Rogers support as they are not usually helpful in complicated matters like this.

I'm hoping there is a work around.

Again, this is with MS Outlook.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: SMTP output from Outlook getting password failure

Just confirming the settings..

outgoing server: SMTP.broadband.rogers.com

You have the new SSL settings set.
uses authentication, your email as the username..

and then your password?

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey,

My wife is having the exact same problem. I've verified all of her settings and everything seems fine and it's only the outgoing SMTP connection that is having problems. Its been happening since yesterday.

Strangely I'm not having issues with it and so it seems to be account-specific. Any thoughts? Sounds like we may have to contact customer support...

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

same issue here. I have two Rogers email addresses in my Outlook and neither one can send email since late last night

GDKitty, why did I know that would be your response 😉

Yup, all that is fine. Based on the other replies it looks like something is going on that I'll have to check out with a call to Rogers.

Need a coffee first though.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ok - so I have been using my email with just the start of my email address (no @rogers.com) as the username. This has worked for the past year , even after updating the SSL settings.

It was working fine for receiving email today but i just added the @rogers.com to my username and now the sending works again.

Not sure why it worled without it for so long but at least it seems to be ok again now

Ok, a mea culpa to GDKitty and thanks to khowells. That has got it working until next time 😉

I Plan to Stick Around

Yup, worked for both my wife's computer and mine. Just make sure you know what your password is for your email client. When you append the "@rogers.com" to your server settings (incoming and outgoing) your client may ask for your passowrd.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. rogers seems to allow some LEGACY stuff for a time period.. so may work, even though a NEW way has been implemented 😛

Thats one reason why i was asking the information...

I ran into that when the SSL stuff came out with my MOMs email address.

She was able to figure out wher to change the SSL ports, etc.. but it wouldnt work!
Ends up, she was using the OLD OLD DNS method of just haveing POP / SMTP as the server names.
These ended up resolving to the pop.broadband.rogers.com, etc... but obviously, didnt work/carry forward with the SSL stuff 😛

I've Been Around

...worked for me, too - thanks!