cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS in Chinese Characters

mlh75
I've Been Around

Today I received approximately 30 spam messages, different numbers, looked like they were from overseas, all in Asian characters. I tools a screen shot and will be contacting apple as well, but the country code is +86 and I don't want to get charged for these. There are too many to go through and individually block.

*edited labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SMS in Chinese Characters

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @mlh75,

I can certainly understand the frustration of receiving unwanted messages. Rest assured that you will not be charged for any of the incoming messages. If these were done via iMessage, then it would just use the data.

RogersRoland

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @mlh75,

I can certainly understand the frustration of receiving unwanted messages. Rest assured that you will not be charged for any of the incoming messages. If these were done via iMessage, then it would just use the data.

RogersRoland

View solution in original post

Sometimes when I send a text I get an instant message back .. 浥獳慧攠⁴漠ㄴ〳㠲㜱㔹㌠獵捣敥摥搮.

Sometimes the person that I sent the text to gets the same message.. what is this??

Hello @Wildoat3,

Welcome back! 

Late last year you posted the same question, I responded to you but we didn't hear back!

Is your phone an official Rogers phone or a non-Rogers unlocked device? Please let me know. Thanks!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hi - this is an official Roger's phone S7 Edge.

Does this issue potentially happen with anyone you send messages to or is it completely random as far as you can tell? 

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hi.. it is completely random.. although it seems like it happens the most with my family and friends that are also on Rogers

Understood. Thanks for clarifying @Wildoat3.

In this case, I would recommend backing up and restoring your phone to factory default settings. I suspect this is a software related issue and a restore should hopefully resolve it.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hi - yeah - that did not work.  This is my second S7 Edge with Rogers and this happened on my old phone.  I did a factory reset and it did not go away.  My Mom has a S6 and it happens to her too.  My brother has a S7 and it happens to him too - we are all on Rogers.  Thanks.

Hello, @Wildoat3

I'm wondering if the issue is still happening? It could be a character encoding issue like certain emojis are not getting interpreted properly by the messaging app resulting in the strange characters. You can try a different messaging app to see if it fixes the issue. If the issue persists we can definitely submit a case on your behalf, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

redgrandam
I've Been Here Awhile

SMS being sent as chinese characters

Just started happening today, seems any SMS I send that are long messages (I assume more than 160 char) are received by the other party as garbled chinese characters.  Using an iPhone 6, fully updated, but from what I'm reading doesn't seem to be an iPhone issue, but a carrier problem...  Anyone have any ideas?

Hello @redgrandam,

Welcome and thank you for your post Robot Happy!

This definitely sounds odd. Are your texts still being sent as Chinese characters? 

I know you mentioned it started yesterday but has this ever happened before as well?

Please keep us posted.

RogersZia

redgrandam
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks for checking up. So far today so good, it might have fixed itself. It was inconsistent, so I'll report back if it happens again 🙂

tml73
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been receiving strange characters that look Chinese/Korean on my phone . It happens after I sent a text. I have a Samsung S7 bought at a Rogers dealer store. It's not unlocked. The characters are not Chinese and I know cos I read Chinese! Lol
Characters look like this:
浥獳慧攠⁴漠ㄴㄶ㘲㐳㔷〠獵捣敥摥搮
I've been getting it for a while now from different people.

Hi @tml73

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting! Smiley Happy

That's definitely strange, are your still receiving SMS in Chinese characters? 

Let us know if you continue to receive these messages.

RogersPrasana 

Good morning.  Yes - matter of fact it happened just this am when I sent a text to my Mom - almost immediately after sending the text - I get a text back with the Chinese characters... 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The other week I got the chineese characters from an SMS from my wife too, she then screnshot her message and showed me that it was indeed in english, oh well, it has not happened since,

tml73
I've Been Here Awhile
I havent since my post here but sparadically have been getting it from different people over last year or so.

0JuiceBox0
I'm Here A Lot
Its a unicoding problem. When UTF 16 gets used instead of UTF 8. Which is actually a conversion problem on Rogers back-end when an extra 1 gets added to the binary code. Go here: http://signsoftheword.com ((I don't know why it has a religious banner on the site)) and paste the message. It will convert the message for you.

Read my response to the original post.

0JuiceBox0
I'm Here A Lot

浥獳慧攠⁴漠ㄴ〳獵捣敥摥搮

Says: "Message to ((the phone number you were texting when you got this auto-reply)) succeeded"

**Edited cellphone number due to privacy concern** - RogersZia