SMCD3GN port forwarding and/or DMZ not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: SMCD3GN port forwarding and/or DMZ not working

@manton:

I think many of us understand and share your frustrations.  However, if you are (still?) waiting for a Rogers response to your original question I suggest that you will be waiting an even longer time than you already have.

If you need a response from Rogers you must address yourself directly to them.  I suggest that you phone their support line, and try to work the issue through them.  They may not be able to resolve your problem technically,  but they can, if you are persistent, connect you to someone in Rogers who can tell you what, if anything, they are willing to do for you.

skinorth

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Why would a vendor host a forum in which they have no interest paying any attention to?

It's a bazaar way of showing how much you care about your customers.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@manton:

we can only speculate, but I would guess that Rogers' purpose for the Forum is to allow us users to help each other.  That allows us to discuss technical issues that are beyond the capabilities and/or (perceived) responsibilities of Rogers support staff.

If and when Rogers staff do intervene it usually is to act as referees or to police the Forum and enforce their posted rules.

There have in my experience been a number of postings requesting information or commitments from Rogers staff.  To the best of my knowledge they are not often responded to or given an official response by anyone from Rogers.

I do not personally own an SMCD3GN, so cannot speak about the device from personal experience.  The Rogers customer experiences I have read about in this Forum lead me to believe that Rogers rarely if ever provides the kind of support for a device such as you are requesting.

Even when, for example, firmware updates would be indicated to "improve" a device, or even to make it work up to its nominal and advertised capabilities, there is usually not a single indication that that option is even remotely entertained by Rogers.  I strongly suspect that the Rogers internal approach to the support of these rather complex and sophisticated devices is rather simplistic.  I would also suspect that that approach is strongly driven by dollars and cents considerations.  They (Rogers) simply do not want to get involved in that level of support for a device.  Better to treat everything as being consumer items with a relatively short life span, and deserving only of being considered obsolete and ready for disposal at the end of a two or three year contract.

These are not cell phones, but they get treated and supported in about the same way!

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I thought I'd post my findings here since it looks like everybody is quite upset... and I think in this case it might be unwarranted.

Port forwarding DOES work on this device. Check this forum post here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24106124-Extreme-Plus-SMCD3GN-Issues-with-Port-Forwarding

As "bweaver" correctly observed in his thread:

"If you're trying to access your internal network forwarded ports using the external IP you're running into a limitation that I've found with the SMCD3GN router. Apparently it does not loop back external IP addresses to their forwarded ports from an internal (local) system."

This means your ports ARE BEING FORWARDED, but you can't access it from within the internal, local network. Only from another external network connecting to your WAN IP over the internet.

So it's hard to test, but your port forwarding is working just fine. If you think about it this actually makes perfect sense - the router was told to forward ports for data coming from the internet, not the local network.

I've confirmed this with my own network. I forwarded port 80/443 to my webserver, observed that while I am on my own local network accessing my webserver via my WAN IP, e.g. https://90.150.xxx.xxx does NOT work. But if I instead connect to my neighbours wifi, or tether to my phone (so now I'm on a separate network where the packets would actually go over the internet), then access to https://90.150.xxx.xxx works just fine.

It's a bit misleading, but technically this router is working exactly as advertised.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nice catch frosty.. i completely forgot about that.

That is a complete possibility.  I know on my previous regular modem, and my Dlink router, it did not support loopback... was a **bleep** when trying to test stuff.

Had to wait till i was in at work, to see if i could connect back in, and if it didnt, wait till home to fix, etc.  If the OP is still watching the thread, worth a look for them to try and connect to it from an external source.

@manton

I beleive skinorth, is correct, that these primarily are user to user forums (hence the community forums part).
There are rogers reps that do help, there is one on the front page now..

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

so what your saying is that the reason i cant check if my ports are open is because when im checking im using the the internals and i have to go say to my grandpas and check if the ports are open.

If i just open ports for my ps3 at 198 yadayada will they show that the ports are open if im using ping.eu ???

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, if you use a 3rd party site, the ping come from the site, not your own address.. so if it replys, they are open correctly.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi manton,

2013.03.26 running into the issue that SMCD3GN modem conflicts with my NAS (freeNAS), get it solved in 3 hours.

**Platform:

1. Install freeNAS as my network storage, also config its capability of Internet Share Center, also called personal cloud storage.

2. Rogers Extreme Internet (I'm not sure what they call my cable plan) along with high-speed modem SMCD3GN.

3. freeNAS takes static IP: 192.168.0.30

4. modem takes WAN IP (Internet public IP), let's say 416.11.22.33

5. get a free DNS service connect your WAN IP with a domain name, liked:  hello.abc.com

6. setup NAT in my modem SMCD3GN that turns every specific connection to freeNAS. Let's say take FTP connection came from Public Internet TO my freeNAS FTP port. So I can access my server when sitting in Tims.

**issue:

Here we are, heading to the main problem that when I open 416.11.22.33 or my domain name, it always put me on the modem login page instead of the internal freeNAS login page, same as the SSH, FTP, etc.

I don't want my modem login page get hacked, so I digg in this problem.

**sliver light:

Forget the default modem login account which is cusadmin, because that is a lowest level management account of this modem, it could do better than you think.

Login as highest level account  ***rogcesadmin***. Please DONT ask me how, please google MSO account of this modem.

Once you sign in modem with this account, you could find rich settings in it. 

The way you really first check is System -> Remote Management

** Solution:

I assume you are on the same page, now let's take a look at Remote Management,

follow these steps:

1. change the default port to any specific number, example: change the modem default SSH port from 22 to 23.

2. Important: Uncheck the box "All IP Address" , then put an meanless ip address right after that box.

It used to assign an IP which only get permission to access your modem remote control system, of course inluding that modem logins page.

So every public Internet connection could be NAT to your specific IP (freeNAS in my case) on specific port, expect that meanless IP address.

It would be liked:

meanless IP  ---> relevant modem logins page

all other IP ---> my freeNAS via NAT ports

3. SAVE and problem solved. 

Sorry guys, it's late night. Can't work with these anymore to give more details. For sure you can get it flying after these steps.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That does sound odd.. i dont beleive that the remote management is SUPOSED to be on on that model (that is the one i have).

I have had it for.. just over a year.. through two different firmware revisions on it... and neither time, remote management was available on it.

I am GUESSING a rogers person was in there and left it on or something.. by default, it shouldnt be.

I would sugest to check, like the above post said.. and try putting in your external IP while on a computer on another provider, etc.. and see if anything, etc does come up (it SHOULDNT).

Other than that, port forwarding on this gateway works fine 🙂

I currently have 4 ports forwarded..
FTP

Http :80  webserver1

http: 32400 media webserver2

Torrent port.

able to connect to all flalessly from outside.