SMCD3GN Router System Time 4hrs Ahead

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jegs1
I'm Here A Lot

SMCD3GN Router System Time 4hrs Ahead

I am in the Toronto area and I just setup the SMCD3GN modem. Has anyone noticed that on the Home page of the Admin site where it provides the system status -  the current time is 4 hours ahead of my local time in Toronto. I spoke to a support person from Rogers and this was his reply:

Faz says:Unfortunaly that settings is built into the firmware and cannot be changed.

Faz says:I also checked other modems and they all show the same time. After investigating unfortunatly that is something that cannot be changed.

All the system logs will be 4 hours ahead my local time.

Can Rogers really be selling/providing products to customers and it cannot be set to a local time zone? Is this stupidity on Rogers part or what? There must be another answer.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
RogersHemal
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: SMCD3GN Router System Time 4hrs Ahead

The Time set inside the routers are all set to GMT time which is 4 hours ahead.  This time zone is also known as Greenwich Mean Time which is the central clock for the world.  Our servers are also currently locked into this time zone as well so we can perform regular firmware upgrades to your router.

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersHemal
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

The Time set inside the routers are all set to GMT time which is 4 hours ahead.  This time zone is also known as Greenwich Mean Time which is the central clock for the world.  Our servers are also currently locked into this time zone as well so we can perform regular firmware upgrades to your router.

View solution in original post

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Time zones, and the meaning of GMT are pretty basic in our international high tech world.  We are all quite familiar with them, as well as setting up our computers, routers and what have you to meet our local time zone needs, which is showing us time in whatever time zone we happen to live in.  And, interestingly enough most of these show the local time also in terms of an offset from GMT.  Pretty basic, and not Rocket Science.  Therefore local times by implication always refer accurately to GMT.

The "explanation" provided by you that this is so that "Our servers ........ can perform regular firmware upgrades to your router......" seems rather insufficient.  Please do not try to insult the intelligence of Forum participants in order to gloss over the possible shortcomings of equipment sold by Rogers.

Is it possible that the SMCD3GN actually can actually show local time instead of GMT, but that it needs to be set up to do so?

By definition all network gear, including your routers, is "locked into" GMT to facilitate accurate time keeping.  As a result any function requiring timekeeping is already locked into GMT if it is locked accurately into local time.  Generally the use of Network Time Protocol (NTP) is used to promote this.  NTP is what really locks routers into the "current" time.

skinorth

jegs1
I'm Here A Lot

Agree with you skinorth.

I currently use NTP to keep the local time on my D-Link home router sync with GMT - behind the SMCD3GN. This is a basic setup option that should be available on all routing equipment to the customers so they can customize to local time zones. So Rogers support personnel's response is really a gloss over to try to cover the mess with this product. 

The support personnel seems to be digging in their heels behind Rogers no matter what, instead of acknowledging that they got this one totally wrong with the customized SMCD3GN.

Well I can understand they would never admit that.

They have made a mess of with the SMCD3GN and it is clear they are having severe technical difficulties managing the device. But they are still trodding on just to be able to say they have an IPv6 modem in the field.

mogston
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi all

To set theime correctly please just set up the SNTP service under tools and SNTP client.

Be sure the choose an active SNTP server, and choose the correct timezone

GlenH
I've Been Here Awhile

I dont think the SMC8014WG has an NTP setting anywhere (that I can find). I cant prove it right now but I think the 'incorrect' timestamp in the router is also preventing me from accessing a couple of web sites (a VPN web, and MS hosted CRM). I remember hearing about how some web servers compare time stamps, but to prove this I'd really like to know if I can alter the date/time in the router.

Any suggestions?

(extended sympton/description; just these sites return 'page cannot displayed', but when I take my laptop to the office I can access the sites no problem)