cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMCD3GN Randomly Rebooting/Resetting ???

BrianD
I've Been Here Awhile

I've seen similar problems discussed, but no real solutions

We have a SMCD3GN modem/router that randomly reboots/resets. This happens every few hours, no set pattern of when it seems to happen. All lights except the power light go off and the unit slowly "starts up" and is usable again after 2-3 minutes.

We have called Rogers tech support and have had a technician out who stated the signal was fine. The modem/router was exchanged at that time, the problem continued.
We contacted Rogers again and the tech support were "stumped" and suggested we exchange the modem/router again, which we did, no change problem still here.

This is getting frustrating, online gaming and Netflix are useless because we are getting disconnected in the middle of everything.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer !!

***edited labels***

36 REPLIES 36

Re: SMCD3GN Randomly Rebooting/Resetting ???

skutflut
I Plan to Stick Around

Did you upgrade to a higher tier service from a slower Rogers service? Is so, did you have these problems with the previous service and modem?

Write down you IP address, and next time it drops out,  check to see if it comes back with the same IP address,  or suddenly has a new one.   Keep track of that a few times.  

Good signal level is only one factor in a successful connection. It you keep getting new IP addresses,  it points to a problem upstream of your modem. 

adcork
I've Been Around

I've been having the exact issue as BrianD, although the resets are happening days or weeks apart. It's odd that Rogers tech support  are "stumped" by this as lots of DSL discussion forums have similar reports.

Each reset is preceded by a "Level:warning, Content:MDD message timeout;" error, but those errors do not always result in a reset.

I fear that Rogers and SMC are pointing fingers at each other as the one with the problem...

fyao
I Plan to Stick Around
Rogers now tells me that the SMC router needs to be plugged directly into the wall socket (as opposed to a power bar or UPS). Unfortunately, I don't have enough wall sockets in this room to test it out without moving lots of stuff around. I just exchanged the router yesterday and it's rebooted twice in under 24 hours.

I guess it's a good thing I haven't given away my Linksys router yet.

(Sorry, if this is a repeat. From what I can tell, my original reply came up blank about I posted it).

rednekcowboy
I Plan to Stick Around

What they are telling you is utter garbage.

They need to upgrade the firmware on the router.  While it doesn't completely solve the issue, it makes the router much more stable--although the downside is that your wireless speeds drop dramatically with this "upgrade."

The latest firmware version is Software Version: 1.4.0.42.3-RRR, at least here in Saint John, NB.

I currently have complaints filed with a number of organizations in relation to this piece of hardware that Rogers forces us to use as an only solution and simply cannot resolve any issues with it.  They force us to either spend $200 to buy or $7/mnth to rent and their best resolution to the issues is to disable 75%+ of the features of this hardware and pay even more money out of our own pockets to purchase a seperate unit.  This is completely and utterly unacceptable!!

Every Rogers customer should be filing complaints about this.  Let's band together andd force them to make a change!!

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around

I got the same problem as BrianD. Yesterday I upgraded my service to 60GB.  I was using 25GB before and was using Webstar modem which works perfectly fine for more than a year. After couple of minutes after I was online with the gateway for the first time it disconnects me and it randomly disconnects me in every 30 to 45 minutes.  When I lost connection, I got a solid diag light then the lights turns everything off, except the power light, then it goes through a boot cycle then it works fine again.  I called tech support and they created a ticket to observe my cable connection for 24 hours. haven't heard anything from them after my call.  If my cable connection was having a problem, the gateway shouldn't  reboot by itself randomly. 

So I gave my gateway another try today and BINGO, it was having the same problem again.  So I called back tech support and they found that the modem was bad and I was asked to have it replaced.  I got it replaced after an hour and I here I am again having the same problem again.  I am thinking if this has something to do with the firmware of the gateway or something else.

I would really appreciate of anyresolution for this issue.  Thanks

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around

I got the same problem as BrianD. Yesterday I upgraded my service to 60GB.  I was using 25GB before and was using Webstar modem which works perfectly fine for more than a year. After couple of minutes after I was online with the gateway for the first time it disconnects me and it randomly disconnects me in every 30 to 45 minutes.  When I lost connection, I got a solid diag light then the lights turns everything off, except the power light, then it goes through a boot cycle then it works fine again.  I called tech support and they created a ticket to observe my cable connection for 24 hours. haven't heard anything from them after my call.  If my cable connection was having a problem, the gateway shouldn't  reboot by itself randomly. 

So I gave my gateway another try today and BINGO, it was having the same problem again.  So I called back tech support and they found that the modem was bad and I was asked to have it replaced.  I got it replaced after an hour and I here I am again having the same problem again.  I am thinking if this has something to do with the firmware of the gateway or something else.

I would really appreciate of anyresolution for this issue.  Thanks

I Plan to Stick Around
My modem has tons of issues. Each time I start my computer I am forced to restart my modem so that I can connect via LAN otherwise it thinks that my connection is unidentified.

As for the connectivity issue, I changed my DHCP lease time in my router. The Rogers tech said that the server leases IP addresses every 2 weeks regardless of this setting but this setting can cause most disconnections.

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around

This is in reference to my post above. I went online for 3 hours today and I was disconnected for 4 times in random (30mins,45mins,50mins). The gateway was doing the same thing as yesterday, it keeps on rebooting itself.

I checked on the WAN IP address just after I boot the gateway for the first time and everytime it drops the connection but it looks like to be the same. I am already pissed off with this and I don't want to take another trip to have the gateway exchanged. My gateway's firmware version is:

Software Version: 1.4.0.42-RRR
Hardware Version: 1C

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around
OK so I couldn't bear this anymore but to call tech support. The tech support guy told that the modem shouldn't be resetting itself which I agree to it. So they gave me some isolations to do and hopefully this resolves the issue:

1) plug the modem directly into power outlet istead of a power bar/extension,power strip.
2) if gateway is placed beside a TV or speaker try to move it away from them as the electromagnet from it may cause the gateway to reboot.
3) if else fails, they will send a tech at home to check what's going on

I will post again once I've done these isolations

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around
Well the above isolations doesn't work for me. So I have nothing else left but to call tech support again and they're gonna send a technician to check my connection physically. Crossing fingers that it's all gonna be ok.

Re: SMCD3GN Randomly Rebooting/Resetting ??? Keep their feet to the FIRE bud!!!!!!

@mhigi:

check the following postings on another Forum:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r25271594-Extreme-Plus-SMC-3DGN-Reboots-every-2-hours.-HELP-

Sounds like you are not alone.  Clean and reliable power is a must.  Therefore, I can understand Rogers insisting on a direct-to-the-wall outlet power connection.

The next step, swapping out the modem is an understandable but lazy troubleshooting technique.  They don't have to involve their "high-priced" technical help.  They make you do the work of replacing the modem and sending the old one back.  Then you need to make sure it works.  The two to three-week delay buys them time and you more frustration and lost Internet service, and it's always possible you and your problem will just go away.  After all, you might move to a different location, you might get sick and die, or who knows, you might just get tired of the whole episode and give up on it.

Keep after them, even if it hurts.  Let us know how it goes.  We are rooting for you!

skinorth

Re: SMCD3GN Randomly Rebooting/Resetting ??? Keep their feet to the FIRE bud!!!!!!

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks for the link and support skinorth. I definitely need to work this one out. I won't give up on them until I got what I want. reading on the post from the link that you provided, I am afraid that the technician coming to check on my connection might do the same thing (I hope that the tech is as competent as I expected). Are there any users having the same problem as mine? please post your problem here.

What I did today is I tried to disable the gateway functionality making it as a passthrough just to observe the connectivity. I run a constant ping to yahoo.com and google.com just to justify my test. The modem still reboots itself and my ping confirms that I got a couple of time outs on both sites.

One thing that I noticed was the IP address that am getting from the modem. When my modem was configured as gateway, my WAN IP address was 99.226.40.47. However, when I disabled the gateway function on the modem, the PC was getting an IP address of 99.227.38.90. I dunno if this means anything.

(Note: my gateway is still connected directly to the wall outlet and it is away from the TV and speakers)

@mhigi:

I don't think the different IP address is significant.

In my opinion it just represents the fact that the DHCP function on the network detected that a different device (i.e., MAC address) was requesting an IP address, so it allocated a different one.  But note that the new IP address, 99.226.40.47 is very close to the "old" IP address, 99.227.38.90.  Depending on the subnet mask being used, it might even be in the same IP subnet.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck, and good huntin.

skinorth

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Just another example of the HARDWARE distributed by rogers that is EVERYONES issue.. it is not the internet, or your computer at fault.. simply ask rogers to replace your router with a new one...!!!

I wonder how many returns of Hardware, will it take to ROGERS to FIX the net!!

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around
@xplornetsucks:

I might agree with you however I don't want to end up having the same problem when I return my gateway for the 3rd time. I just hope that Rogers gonna fix out their trash.

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

I might agree with you however I don't want to end up having the same problem when I return my gateway for the 3rd time. I just hope that Rogers gonna fix out their trash.

@xplornetsucks:

so I am not really far off the mark about it being a hardware issue.. cough cough cough...... 3 times replacing your hardware and no solution...... but it does cost Rogers at LEAST $15 EACH TIME  for the return of your hardware.. plus you can now "legitimately" go on that manufacturers sight and say their hardware sucks right..ITS NOT ROGERS!!

@xplornetsucks:

you make this point: "... 3 times replacing your hardware and no solution...".  If this is a hardware problem, then would I be right in concluding that you mean that the "hardware problem" is an engineering design or firmware problem with the modem?

I know that some Rogers customers have been dissatisfied with the SMCD3GN.  But it was my understanding that at least some of them were installed and working properly.

So, I would not want to suggest to mhigi that he has a "hardware" failure, when replacement modems have basically not corrected the "randomly rebooting/resetting" issue for him.

Based on the link I mentioned:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r25271594-Extreme-Plus-SMC-3DGN-Reboots-every-2-hours.-HELP-

in an earlier posting in this thread, it seems that this kind of problem occurs with the SMCD3GN modem when there is a certain kind of network failure.

So, are you really seriously suggesting that: ".....you (mhigi) can now "legitimately" go on that manufacturers sight and say their hardware sucks right..ITS NOT ROGERS!!"?  What would that accomplish in getting mhigi's oroblem resolved

I thought that getting mhigi's modem problem resolved was the topic being discussed here.  I agree with you that there are larger issues as well.  But let's just try knocking those windmills down one at a time, later.

And maybe you can recruit me as your Sancho Panza.

skinorth

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around

Finally the tech guy came today to check my connection.  I did explained to him the problem and he tried to check around what could be the issue.  He said that the cable line is bad and need to be replaced.  I told him that it's not the cable line that's having a problem since it was working fine for a year with my old modem.  He did changed it anyway. He changed the modem also (FOR THE 3RD TIME WITH THE SAME MODEL-SMCD3GN) to make sure that everything are new.  I asked him if there;s another model of gateway he has because I don't trust this model anymore but he doesn't have one.  As expected everything was working fine after he connected the new modem.  I told him that even with the previous 2 modems they were working fine for about 30 minutes after they were configured the first time then they rebooted itself after about 30 minutes.

So I left my TV streaming netflix to observe the connection and did a constant ping to yahoo on my PC to check the connection and WALLA!! I just lost the connection again and the modem just rebooted itself.  I immediately called him to tell that the modem just rebooted and he was surprised.  He gave me 2 options: 1) go to store and ask if they have another gateway model or 2) he will check from the warehouse if there's another modem model

I am definitely frustrated with this modem.  I just wanted this problem resolved ASAP!

@mhigi:

for what it's worth, here is my opinion:

Replacing the modem yet again with the same make/model will not prove anything other than that the problem is not the modem.  Unless it really does have an engineering/firmware issue which causes your problem.

It would be interesting to see if another functionally equivalent make/model modem/gateway would make a difference.  For example, if you could replace your SMCD3GN with a Cisco DPC3825, it might prove whether the SMC device has an inherent engineering/firmware problem which is affecting your problem situation.

On the other hand, if installing a Cisco modem resulted in the same problem as before, now that would prove for sure that it was not the modem, but in fact that there was something else at fault.  Now that would create a really interesting troubleshooting challenge for the Rogers technicians involved.

However, we have not heard really great things so far about the new Cisco device in this Forum, so caveat emptor...........

skinorth

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around
@skinorth:

I would totally agree with your suggestion of using another gateway to properly isolate the problem. I dunno if the store carries a different make/model aside from this SMC modem. Is there any firmware upgrade on this modem?