cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMCD3GN Randomly Rebooting/Resetting ???

BrianD
I've Been Here Awhile

I've seen similar problems discussed, but no real solutions

We have a SMCD3GN modem/router that randomly reboots/resets. This happens every few hours, no set pattern of when it seems to happen. All lights except the power light go off and the unit slowly "starts up" and is usable again after 2-3 minutes.

We have called Rogers tech support and have had a technician out who stated the signal was fine. The modem/router was exchanged at that time, the problem continued.
We contacted Rogers again and the tech support were "stumped" and suggested we exchange the modem/router again, which we did, no change problem still here.

This is getting frustrating, online gaming and Netflix are useless because we are getting disconnected in the middle of everything.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer !!

***edited labels***

36 REPLIES 36

Re: SMCD3GN Randomly Rebooting/Resetting ???

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around

finally I got to change my modem with Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway and I am now observing my connection.  It looks like the new gateway is doing its job and I was never disconnected since I was online 3 hours ao. I am crossing fingers that this gateway would resolve my issue. 

It looks like Rogers have to have some solution for this "CRAP" gateway that they issue to their clients.

atitv
I've Been Around

mhigi  where did you get the CISCO DPC3825 and how much

mhigi
I Plan to Stick Around
@atitv:

I got the Cisco DPC3825 from Rogers Plus store. I lost faith with the SMC gateway and I was advised by skinorth to get this gateway.

Re: SMCD3GN Randomly Rebooting/Resetting ??? SMCD3GN need a firmware update?

@mhigi:

I am devastatingly flattered by the faith ("I was advised by skinorth to get this gateway") you put in me and my comments on your situation.  I sincerely hope that the use of the Cisco modem/gateway will resolve your issue.  But my reputation is now on the line Smiley Surprised  I do hope you remember the old saying about advice being worth what you pay for it........  Until Rogers hires me, or at least pays me a non-trivial honorarium for my participation in this forum, this could be a problem.

If in fact the Cisco device resolves your issue, I guess you will definitely be a happier camper.........  But it has still to be mentioned what, if anything, it cost you to obtain the Cisco device so you could determine if that approach would resolve your issue.

I hope I haven't given you the wrong impression.  I do sincerely hope the Cisco device will in fact do the job.  Cisco is a well-respected company in the network field, and I personally would be hugely disappointed in them if their device did not work to the letter and, in fact, the spirit of its technical specifications.

But that kind of begs the question: what of the SMCD3GN and its many owners/users out there in Rogers land?  Is it possible that you were simply one of the unfortunate very few who were caught up in a unique network-related failure/anomoly which brought out some highly specific short coming of the SMCD3GN design/firmware?

What seems to stand out loud and clear is that there is a systemic failure in the Rogers support strategy when it encounters a serious and complex issue such as this.  Or is it Rogers policy simply to abandon a "problem" device once its support requires action above and beyond the basic and banal?  Perhaps Rogers forgets that real customers have paid real money and expect real effort on the part of one of Canada's premier ISP's when a problem such as this arises.

And, arise they will.  It is a simple fact of high-tech life.  My 40-plus years in high tech have proven this to me time and again.

skinorth

dcynic
I've Been Around

I just switched from my rental to the SMCD3GN.  Noted the reseting happening about every 2 hours (I'm almost due for one now)

Their online tech said they get that complaint alot and to either swap the modem or replace it for the CISCO.  Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.  Cisco shopping

@dcynic:

good luck to you and your "Cisco shopping".  Let us know how it works out.  There are lots of others out here who need to know about positive experiences.

History shows that negative experiences will get posted here regardless.

skinorth

Killerdragon
I Plan to Stick Around
Just an observation here about the SMCD3GN.... It needs a fan I think. The rebooting might be due to overheating, that thing gets really hot I have noticed, even when you have it stood up instead of sitting flat.

Hey i have the same problem bro...my wireless N gateway reboots on its own on 30-35 minutes after an upgrade

RYANSD
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry to burst your bubbles folks, the Cisco 3825 loves to reboot itself as well.

Here is the story:: reboots itself, I kept losing my connection. Call tech support, swap out the modem for a new 3825. Same issues, drops the connections, reboots.

Tech visits the house, wire from the house to the pole looks suspect, changes it out. Since midnight I have lost the connection 8 times or about once every 2 hours.

The modem is not warm to the touch, lots of air movement, plugged directly to the wall outlet, no power bar etc. ..Just likes to reboot on its own. Sad thing is the Motorola I had prior to 'upgrading' to Extreme was rock solid for 5 years...not once did I lose the connection!!!

Tech coming out again in 3 days...not too sure what they plan on doing differently....

@RYANSD:

I'm not sure whose bubble you're bursting, but here are the basic facts about equipment that spontaneously reboots: it should not be doing that!

It does not matter whether it is an SMCD3GN or a Cisco 3825.  If the device spontaneously reboots, there is a problem with either the hardware or the firmware.

It is possible that the firmware has been written so that under certain conditions a reboot would result.  Those conditions would be caused by, or be a reaction to, totally extraordinary events on the ISP's network.  However, it this is the case, then the conditions would cause such a reboot would/should be documented by the supplier of that equipment, and Rogers support people should or would know about them and be prepared to react to them and correct them.

As for equipment overheating, I have mentioned this a number of times in this Forum  If any modem, router, or whatever, requires an external fan to be supplied by the customer for cooling, then there is something seriously wrong with the engineering and design of that equipment.  Just read the environmental specs for equipment.  These specs will state that the equipment will operate in a given temperature range, usually a range such as those found in the normal human residential environment.

skinorth

MTF
I'm Here A Lot

My first modem did this, i took it into a rogers plus store and they exchanged it for another, haven't had the issue since.

I have had the new one for about 6 months and not one reboot, i think it might have been a power issue inside the router.

But like i said, mine is working 100% now.

Oh and i did have it plugged directly into a wall and also had it away from all other sources of electronics. Its on the oppisite side of the house now and working perfect

RYANSD
I've Been Here Awhile

Skin..The bubble of speak of is the Cisco dpc3825 having the same issues. I have swapped it out twice, had the tech replace the line from the house to the pole and still experiencing the random reboots. Affects both wireless and hard wire connections since it reboots itself. The router is not over heating, and is plugged directly into an outlet! I have little confidence in Rogers being able to solve this issue since it appears to be wide spread across equipment manufacturers and so widely reported!

In the last 4 days, I have been disconnected 30 times. 

Once more chance for Rogers...Then I will be switching providers! 

@All:

Another thread in this Forum contains a recent posting which is directly relevant  to this thread.  Take a look at the posting here by egh:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3129...

Although the Rogers internal network problems/issues described by egh do not explain all of the problems our contributors have experienced, no doubt they are a factor in some or perhaps quite a few of them.

Check it out, and draw your own conclusions.

skinorth

I installed a SMCD3GN and it started hanging after loosing the binding.  Eventually it sometime would reboot.  If I rebooted the modem it would start working again.  I called Rogers and was told it wasn't getting the firmware update it needed.  The firmware version out of the box was 1.4.0.42.3-RRR.  The tech said if it wouldn't take the new firmware perhaps it would need to be replaced.

I left it overnight and checked it again this morning.  The log showed two entries for SW downloaded, and SW installed.  The firmware is now 1.4.0.44-DNS-RRR.  There were no more critical binding errors in the log after the firmware was applied.  

Hopefully this will stabilize the modem.  I will reply back if it does not.

@bluenoser613:

although I am not an SMCD3GN owner/user, I have commented in the past where I thought my input might be of relevance.

Thanks for the information you have posted regarding the firmware revisions and updates to the SMCD3GN.  It would seem valid for any SMCD3GN user to check the firmware revision on their device if they are experiencing problems.

I take it from your posting that the firmware updates are initiated by, and done by Rogers.  Does Rogers initiate firmware updates to the SMCD3GN spontaneously, or did you as a user need to do something to trigger this process?

skinorth

joeyo
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I'm a little late to the party but after rogers did some maintenance in my area my SMCD3GN now reboots every 60mins like clock work. A tech came out, replaced it with a new one...was great for about 18 hours but is now again rebooting every 60mins exactly.

They're sending out another tech tomorrow but the coincidence of this starting to reset very 60mins on the day they did "upgrades" as they say in my area is too uncanny.