cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMCD3GN - 2012/06/21 - Firmware update - resets non-standard LAN Subnet Default Gateways

tzverina
I've Been Around

Hello All.

Arrived home today to no Internet.

Not an RF issue, could ping from the SMC to the internet and inside.

Turns out that the Firmware update today resets the default gateway to the factory defaults of 192.168.0.1 even though I use a non standard subnet and mask.

The SMC happily handed out DHCP addresses on the correct subnet, but with the wrong Default Gateway.

Went into the LAN page and re-applied my settings, waited for the reboot, and all was well.

Hope this helps someone.

Also hope that Rogers back end finds this and corrects it for the next firmware upgrade.

***edited labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: SMCD3GN - 2012/06/21 - Firmware update - resets non-standard LAN Subnet Default Gateways

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

It is fortunate tzverina, that you have the technical ability to solve a problem like this. If you think of all the people out there who use the Internet, but do not really understand the technical details of their modem or router, you can see further proof that the modems now provided by Rogers are a horror show for many customers. It is also unfortunate that Rogers does not seem to care. The same kinds of nightmares have been created with firmware updates to the Rogers PVRs!

Re: SMCD3GN - 2012/06/21 - Firmware update - resets non-standard LAN Subnet Default Gateways

rvieregge
I've Been Around

I believe I have this problem as well.

My default gateway seems to have changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1

I wouldn't have figured it out except one computer in the house continued to work - it had 192.168.1.1 as a static route.

My question: I don't see where to change the default gateway back to what it was before.

I see the LAN IP address, but not the default gateway. (I have the magic admin uid/pwd).

Any pointers?

MichelR
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I first saw something about this update on a DSLReports forum.  My SMC is set up in bridge mode, with my computer hooked up to my D-Link DIR-655 router.  Anyone knows if I can access the SMC configuration with such a set up?  I'd like to make sure the update (if mine has been updated already) did not turn wireless back on and made it wide open to the neighbourgood (especially since I'm in a condo building).

To turn OFF The bridged mode.. i would assume you should somehow be able to connect back into it.

Plug a PC right into the routers wired ports.

Question would be what the address would be??

I would assume that one way to take the device out of Bridged Mode would be to reset it to factory defaults.  The relevant manual section is as follows:

Restoring Factory Defaults
Using the Reset button on the back panel, you can power cycle the Gateway and return it to its original factory default settings. As a result, any changes you made to the Gateway’s default settings will be removed. To reset the Gateway and keep any overrides you made to the factory default settings, use the software reset method described under “Using the Reboot Menu to Reboot the Gateway” on page 59.
Leave power plugged into the Gateway.
Find the Reset button on the back panel, then press and hold it for at least 10 seconds.
Release the Reset button.

You can then access the SMCD3GN using the normal default IP address and login parameters.  This would be a good idea anyway, in my opinion, as that really is the only way for you to confirm the state of the device, and will also allow you to put back in any settings you want changed to suit your needs.

skinorth

gweg
I Plan to Stick Around

In bridge mode you can still access the web-gui at http://192.168.100.1 however, you will have to MANUALLY setup the IP address in your PC (because in bridge mode the the SMC does not dish out private DHCP). So, you need to manually set your PC address to something like 192.168.100.90 then access the SMC. For example if your SMC was plugged into your eth1 port you could do (on linux): ifconfig eth1 192.168.100.90
Then access via browser or telnet.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks gweg and Skinorth 🙂

Both are great solutions.

gwegs looks like the better way to go in and check, without having to re set everything.

Though, it SHOULDNT be able to turn the other stuff on, while in bridged mode.. but i guess its possible a firmware update could have broke that.

If you knew what the default wireless name was before, you could just look for it when searching for a new wireless network.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation