cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMC router changing IP address without warning

devinbaines
I Plan to Stick Around

My SMC wireless DOCSIS 3 Rogers modem/wireless router is no longer 192.168.0.1  It changed without warning to 99..241.142.xxx and I can no longer log into the web configuration interface. (FYI, I had another SMC router for years and am very familiar with the config software).  Entering the ip address ifconfig returns does not bring up the config web interface.  It times out, as does trying to connect to 192.168.0.1.

I cannot reset it to factory defaults either by powering off for a decent length of time or by hitting the recessed reset button in the back.  I have the full documentation for that router printed out and can find nothing of value.

The wireless shows up with my assigned ssid and my wireless devices can connect to it but cannot get out to the internet.  The one wired device connected to it connects to the internet just fine.  I do have a second wireless router (D-Link) plugged into it (yes, I have more then 4 wired devices) but it is set to 192.168.2.1 and it and everything connected to it wired and wirelessly works through the SMC just fine.

Before I spend hours on the phone with tech support, I though I'd post here.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SMC router changing IP address without warning

devinbaines
I Plan to Stick Around

Tech Support just fixed it remotely with a checkbox and a reboot.  Buddy claimed hitting the reset button on the back of the unit would fix it.  Ain't so.

I'm back into the gateway software and it appears to be functioning properly.  They say it is a problem on a small number of the SMC modem/routers.  I had it on 2 in a row.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

On the computer that is hardwired and can get to the internet what is the value for gateway when you do an ifconfig /all

That should be the ip addr of the smc router...

As for resetting try unplugging and holding the reset button, while holding the button plug the router back in and hold the button for maybe 30 seconds (probably less is fine) and once all the lights flash a couple of times you should be able to release the button and the router should be reset.

Another question is the router also the modem or is the modem a separate box?

devinbaines
I Plan to Stick Around

ifconfig returns 99.241.241.xxx (privacy on the last bit by me)

Will try the hard reset option later this evening.

Thanks.

And yes, it's an all-in-one modem/router/wireless box.  SMCD3GN-RRR

StefanJ
I Plan to Stick Around

I am having the same problem -- I am trying to get into my SMC router so that I can turn off gateway functions and wireless, so that I can use the SMC product as just a modem, but I cannot get the router IP address to be 192.168.0.1 -- I keep rebooting it, rebooting the computer, hitting reset, etc. -- nothing works, and I'm stuck at an IP address similar to the one posted above.

I really hate this allin-in-one modem/router (which makes connecting to anything other than a computer a nightmare -- including Rogers iphone, xbox, PS3, PSP, VOIP phone, etc.)   Really disappointed with this SMC product and want to see if it works better just as a modem, but now can't even access the admin page - very frustrating.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Not having one of these router/modem combo's I can't say from first hand but I would try to go to that 99 address that ifconfig says is your gateway.

Another question is what is your computers ip address? I would try browsing to your computers ip address with a .1 as the last section of the ip address.

Another thing I might try is log into the other wireless router and check the WAN status and see what gateway it is showing.

Last thing I would try is tracert google.ca and see what ip address's it lists along the route.. the 1st or 2nd address should be the routers address.

The 99.x.x.x addr's are a little fishy to me as they sound like the external modem address and not an internal addr...

devinbaines
I Plan to Stick Around

WAN address is 99.241.31.136 on the D-Link that's hardwired into the SMC.

All the machines on the D-link are 192.168.2.xxx DHCP, just the way I want them.

The machine that's hardwired into the SMC is 99.241.142.xxx, also DHCP.

The tracert from both the SMC machine and the D-link machines all show a 10. as the first address and 69.63 as the second.  The 10. concerns me - that's usually a reserved segment, is it not?

Tracing route to google.ca [173.194.33.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     6 ms     5 ms     5 ms  10.22.16.1
  2     6 ms     5 ms     8 ms  69.63.242.21
  3     7 ms     6 ms     7 ms  gw01.slnt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.93.193]
  4    12 ms    11 ms    12 ms  so-4-1-0.gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.83.198]
  5    12 ms    11 ms    12 ms  69.63.249.5
  6    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  gw01.mtmc.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.137]
  7    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  72.14.216.14
  8    12 ms    11 ms    12 ms  216.239.47.114
  9    62 ms    31 ms    31 ms  216.239.46.170
 10    31 ms    40 ms    32 ms  216.239.48.24
 11    34 ms    31 ms    31 ms  173.194.33.104

Trace complete.

StefanJ
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried the 99 address but couldn't access the SMC router - I agree that number is really weird and fishy - I don't understand it at all.

I managed to get into the SMC router once and turned off the "commercial gateway" function using the Rogers Admin password, so it's now just functioning as a modem while my network connects through my original router --- seems to be working great, and much better than using the SMC device as the router (both in terms signal strength and connectivity with non-PC internet capable devices)...so almost there.

BUT...I still can't get back into the SMC router, and I think I also have to turn off "wireless", don't I?   Otherwise won't people be able to piggyback to my connection through the SMC device that's now a modem (and unsecured)?   I can see an unnamed, unsecured wireless network when I scan from a laptop, but actually can't seem to get into it, so maybe it's not as vulnerable as I thought it would be?   But I'd really prefer to get into the SMC router configuration again so that I can turn it off.   Please help if you can!

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

yeah the 10 addr is weird see the chart below:

IANA-reserved private IPv4 network ranges  

Start                  End                        No. of addresses

24-bit Block (/8 prefix, 1 x A)        10.0.0.0           10.255.255.255   16,777,216

20-bit Block (/12 prefix, 16 x B)    172.16.0.0      172.31.255.255   1,048,576

16-bit Block (/16 prefix, 256 x C) 192.168.0.0    192.168.255.255 65,536

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#IPv4_private_addresses

StefanJ
I Plan to Stick Around

>>> WAN address is 99.241.31.136 on the D-Link that's hardwired into the SMC....The machine that's hardwired into the SMC is 99.241.142.xxx, also DHCP....The tracert from both the SMC machine and the D-link machines all show a 10. as the first address and 69.63 as the second.  The 10. concerns me - that's usually a reserved segment, is it not?

Substantially similar addresses on my setup.  Don't understand it.

StefanJ
I Plan to Stick Around
sorry, didn't mean the reference to the 10.xx.xx.1 -- I don't get that with trace route. I just meant I had the substantially similar 99.xx.xx.xx number for the SMC modem/router

devinbaines
I Plan to Stick Around

So Rogers Tech Support tells me the home gateway functions (ie. the config web pages) have been disabled via a bad firmware update, presumably pushed by SMC.  It's a simple fix on Rogers end except for the fact that their admin tools are acting up this evening.

The IP address we're seeing is the public IP - we're being connected directly.  Better have that firewall on!!  It's essentially a dumb modem at the moment.

There is no user-side fix for it, or so I'm told.

StefanJ
I Plan to Stick Around

wow, that's brutal - glad I somehow got in once to disable the commercial gateway at least, so I could run through my other router and its firewall.  

Much appreciated for the update - been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out, it was so weird.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

That makes more sense... I was thinking the 99.x.x.x was a public IP as I tried to tracert it and it was going through the different rogers hops along the way.. 

Hopefully rogers can get that fixed for you quickly. Otherwise i'd just bring it back to a rogers store and try to exchange it. Maybe get one that's just a modem.. 

Good luck!

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@devinbaines

Thanks for the update!

devinbaines
I Plan to Stick Around

I already returned one modem (same model) with the same problem.  Tech Support tells me that SMC handles pushing the firmware patches for them, rather than Rogers doing it themselves.  Seems SMC pushed something that was less than fully baked.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
I wonder if there is a way to turn that off.. Though sadly I doubt it.

devinbaines
I Plan to Stick Around

Tech Support just fixed it remotely with a checkbox and a reboot.  Buddy claimed hitting the reset button on the back of the unit would fix it.  Ain't so.

I'm back into the gateway software and it appears to be functioning properly.  They say it is a problem on a small number of the SMC modem/routers.  I had it on 2 in a row.

Its such a 'small' number, that I am having the same issue.

My wireless has been piss poor, my iphone can't even connect and i have ip filtering setup and everything.

I wanted to have a look at what was going on with the router..

and I couldn't get in with the 192.168.0.1

This is balls.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@klubjunk sounds like your modem/router is in bridge mode. Call rogers support and ask them to switch that for you then you should be able to login and access the router stuff.

RogersErin

Thanks Chris.

@klubjunk, please let me know how it goes.

There's only about a 50% success with the hard reset correcting this. And it has to be done in a particular order for it to even have a chance of working.

1. Press the reset button and hold for 5-10 seconds. Wait for gateway to stabilize.
2. Unplug power from gateway, give it a few seconds and power it up again.

The reset mechanics on that device are very strange (I've dealt with a LOT of them). I'm not really sure why the gateway functionality isn't a customer facing option, but it has been suggested. As a few people have mentioned, SMC does the firmware, so hopefully they'll implement it down the road.
Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 in conversation