cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMC Router Software Update

bullzie
I Plan to Stick Around

I am curious if a software update I received this morning (Jul 26, 12) is causing issues for anyone else.  I have changed the default IP range of my modem (the SMC one for the Extreme plan) to use 192.168.1.1 instead of the default 192.168.0.1.  Up until the update this was no problem at all.  Now, the setting in the modem still appears to be correct but the modem's DHCP server is assigning clients a Gateway address of 192.168.0.1 which obviously isn't going to work.  If I manually assign an IP and specifiy the correct gateway everything works correctly.  I have reboot the modem from the web interface but I have not pulled the plug for a power cycle.  It also seems to only affect devices that are requesting DHCP info as clients like my VOIP adapter are still working without issue.  I should mention that I have my DHCP lease time set to 2 weeks as there is very rarely a 'guest' device connecting to the network.

Why did I change the IP range in the first place?  Personal preference.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SMC Router Software Update

rwhorman
I've Been Here Awhile

In case this helps others, this has now been fixed. It turns out that the cable modem update yesterday didn't complete successfully. Configuration wasn't updated properly. So they downloaded to my modem the up-to-date configuration file, rebooted, and everything is now working perfectly. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

stak
I've Been Around

I also lost connectivity on any computers/routers connected to my SMC, the only thing that works is anything connected to my vpn router.

Looks like the SMC is passing along its own default gateway (192.168.0.1) rather than itself as the default gateway in my network (192.168.50.1)  - they will have to update again to fix this but until then setting the default gateway from each computer in TCPIP Settings | Advanced section to the correct 192.168.50.1 is what i had to do. 

bullzie
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, so it isn't just me.  What had me concerned was that last night I upgraded my Mac to Mountain Lion and everything was fine last night but this morning was a different story.  The only consolation was that my phone also had issues connecting to the wireless as well.  I guess until they push out another update I can just switch my network back to the default which is a bit of a pain as I have certain things setup statically.  Nothing was broken so why 'fix' it??

compuaid
I've Been Here Awhile

I contacted Rogers tech support about this issue.  Not only did their firmware reset the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 but it also wiped any NAT port forwarding or QOS settings from the modem.  Fortunately I had made a copy of all my settings and was able to re-enter them all.  If you go in and make any changes to any settings in the modem and save them the modem will also change your default gateway back to its proper setting so that you can continue to use DHCP.  The Rogers customer service rep I spoke to seemed clueless about these issues and just "apologized for the inconvenience" after first attempting to blame my other equipment.  This is inexcusable as anyone other than a tech savvy person would have no idea why they suddenly lost their internet.  It is also inexcusable to wipe the firmware settings of the modem.  Any home business or person who's done a lot of setup work for port forwarding, quality of services, etc would find themselves scrambling to get things working again. 

Rogers needs to spend a lot more time working on their customer service and testing their updates before subjecting their customers to hours of frustration and having their frontline people try to shift the blame elsewhere.

rwhorman
I've Been Here Awhile

I experienced the exact same thing as you, bullzie!  Right down to Mountain Lion 😉

I too use 192.168.1.* on local net as my pref. After the SMC update, I then hardcoded in the router (192.168.1.1) as gateway on ALL my devices and now they can at least connect again to the internet.

However, I am now experiencing much packet loss and request timeouts. I ping the DNS or WAN gateway IP and see 50+% timeouts. Consequently, much net activity is much slower than usual, or craps out. 

Am I alone in this respect?

rwhorman
I've Been Here Awhile

In case this helps others, this has now been fixed. It turns out that the cable modem update yesterday didn't complete successfully. Configuration wasn't updated properly. So they downloaded to my modem the up-to-date configuration file, rebooted, and everything is now working perfectly. 

View solution in original post