SMC Networks Modem/Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: SMC Networks Modem/Router

Rogersreggie,

I think part of the confusion here is that Rogerspaul is not a Rogers employee, which is what I gathered from reading his response just under yours.  I also not that your message does not contain the "I am a Rogers employee"  disclaimer.  

As you know,  there has been much discussion in these forums about the LACK of a DOCSIS3 stand alone modem in the Rogers equipment lineup. 

Many of us have networks all set up on our own routers already and have no desire to scrap the current setup that works well in order to use the SMC device which by many accounts,  has rather poor performance. 

Your reply confirms that I still cannot upgrade my service tier and bandwidth allowance because Rogers is not offering a piece of hardware acceptable to me and my current configuration.

Let us know when that changes.  I will be glad to upgrade,  but only if it makes technical sense for me, not for Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd like to add another voice asking that Rogers PLEASE offer a standalone DOCSIS 3.0 modem, such as the Motorola 6120. The SMC device is very much a compromise solution for those of us with our own existing setups.

I was previously able to use the D3GN with tge commercial gateway functions disabled (ie, as a standalone modem) but the recent 1.4.0.42-RRR firmware update has rendered it almost unusable at times in this regard (poor performance, high latency - this is somewhat well documented at dslreports.com).

I have a feeling this is only the case because so few people are using this device as a bridging modem, and as such Rogers didn't thoroughly test it in this capacity. Conversely, I'd assume a standalone device would be tested properly as just that.

Please Rogers - provide your customers with what they want... actual choice in hardware for all tiers of service.
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@skutflut

Thanks for your comments. RogersReggie is a Rogers moderator, you can view his status on the top left hand side of his profile. This is why he doesn't have an employee signature on the bottom of his posts.

I Plan to Stick Around

I too am not at all impressed with the SMC modem/router/garbage combo unit.

I'm just about ready to downgrade and go back to Express.  It was actually giving me far better speeds than the much more expensive Extreme Plus I have now.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersErin

Please note: 

My reply to Rogersreggie refered not to HIS status as a Rogers employee,   but to Rogerspaul's previous post.  

Rogerspaul is using the "Rogers"  prefix on his nickname  but apparantly is NOT a rogers employee,  or if he is,  then he is an unhappy employee.    His post created a bit of confusion for me  as he appeared to be a rogers employee making a comment suggesting that people purchase the "standalond"  option DOCSIS3 modem.  

I am now assuming, based on his second clarification reply,  that he  purchased a DOCSIS2 modem as the only option to get rid of the SMC combo unit and get back to a reasonably reliable service. 

I did notice Reggie shows moderator status.  I suggest that the all moderators and contributors  add a Rogers Employee tag to their signatures to avoid confusion. 

There does not seem to be any prohibition against users prefixing their nick with Rogers,  so I can see this coming up in future.   While the signature is not foolproof security,  I think it would be a benefit as most people would not falsely claim to be a Rogers employee,  even if their nick  implied that they were.

Skutflut

I am NOT a Rogers employee

I'm a Regular

is it coming out for rogers this motorola modem that your talking about?

I Plan to Stick Around

That is the question.... It needs to happen, but it has not happened yet.
I'm a Regular

because i,m hving problems with the SMC modem speeds are **bleep** and lag when playing on xbox live, ports are open. with the motorola never issues with express,
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

@skutflut, @lethalsniper, @Salinger,

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that you would like to have the option for a standalone DOCSIS 3 modem for the higher service tiers. At this time, we have no announcements to make, however, for all the latest Rogers news, you can feel free to check the Rogers RedBoard @ http://redboard.rogers.com.

Since the OP has marked this thread as solved, it will be locked from further discussion.