SMC Modem replaced with Cisco refurbished

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

SMC Modem replaced with Cisco refurbished

I am wondering if  Rogers is allowed to replace a NEW SMC  purchased Cable modem/Router with a refurbished Cisco one. I bought new SMC modem/router which had problems and was told to return it. I was given a Cisco refurbished which also had problems. I took that one back and was given ANOTHER cisco  refurbished which is also having problems.

***edited labels*** 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: SMC Modem replaced with Cisco refurbished

If you straight out bought a new modem.. you should be getting a new modem if exchanging it for a new one.

Now thing being said.. may only take place over the initial 30 or so days.. really in the end, if rogers SELLs it to you, that would be all they would have to exchange it for you.. beyond that, its manufaturer warranty.

But even in those cases 99% of the time.. say take a monitor for example, with a 3 year warranty.. it dies.. you send it back to the manufacturer under warranty.  They will not fix yours and send it back.  They dont send you a completely new one either.  They will send a refurb one back to you. 

So if you are renting, definately its a used/refurbished one.

Even if rogers is handling the full 1 year or whatever warranty on a BOUGHT one, beyond that initial period, all they would have to provide is a 'working' one.. does not have to be NEW.

Odd that in the case of a purchased one they changed it from an SMC to a Cisco..

I'm Here A Lot

What I have found is that the refab ones are terrible.This is my third trip back to see them and getting frustrating. They should at least test for basic functionality before giving to customer. I am also suspicious if the new one I bought was actually new.  It stop working 6 months after using it ( and yes that can happen) but considering both refurbished  did not work I am starting to wonder if the new one was also refab.

The one I bought before SMC from bestbuy  lasted for years without any issues.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

that you have had that many problems.. are you SURE its the modem?

What is the problem you are having?

It could be signal/line potentialy, since its been that many in a row..