cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMC D3GN wireless signal is garbage

uzishotz
I've Been Around

I am tired of this router/modem because it is completely garbage and i cannot not even connect from my room upstairs -.- does anyone know how to boost the sigal (if possible) if not then can I please know if there are any other routers that rogers has to offer because like I said before, this one sucks Smiley Mad

***edited labels***

22 REPLIES 22

Re: SMC D3GN wireless signal is garbage

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

You are 100% correct. The wireless part of the SMC modem is garbage. I made inquiries to Rogers about the Motorola 6120 and was told that it was not supported. So to have wireless working properly, you need to have Rogers remotely set the SMC modem to bridge mode and install your own router. Why they will not support the 6120 is simply beyond comprehension!

dk_hung
I Plan to Stick Around

I commented on the same issue about a month ago.  That was right after I upgraded from Express to Extreme.   I had no WIFI connection/speed issues with Express.   At that time, I was using the $3.00 modem with my own Linksys router.  And I was able to add a booster antennas to extend the WIFI performance.  Now that with the stupid gateway (which costs $7.00 rental), like you said, it is a complete garbage and I could not even add anything to boost the WIFI range even if I wanted to.  As soon as my laptop is more than 15 feet away from the gateway, the performance goes down hill.   Playing on-line game is just impossible.   

I called Rogers Support they say the hardware  and configurations are fine.  They mentioned many possible causes that might impact the performance, but I already tried them before making the calls.   1) Inference with the cordless phone – I unplugged all cordless phones but did not have any improvement.    2) I changed to different channels – same thing!.  I even suggested to Rogers Rep to reflect this wide spread situations to their upper management.  They should replace the SMC gateway with something useful.   How could SMC qualify to be the only supported gateway by Rogers if it is not working consistently?  And they are still being sold and rented everyday. Shame!

gemcee
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue with the new router.  When it is plugged in hardline to my XBOX or my lap top, the ping and DL speeds reflect what I am paying for.  When I try and go wireless with my laptop, I cant even load a homepage i.e hotmail.  My laptop is good to go. At my old place  we had the old modem and it worked fine...same lap top-Xbox set up.  Now that I am in a house and not an apartment I have less wireless interference and worse performance, and I stress worse as it doesnt even work at all.

If I call Rogers up and wait 3 hours to talk to someone, will they even help at all, or will they simply tell me to bring the router in for exchange? 

StephenW
I've Been Here Awhile

They really need to do something about this garbage modem, I have to deal with a ten year old father that can't understand why the wireless is garbage. They need to change this asap, as I can't deal with this garbage service Rogers keeps giving us. They have money to buy the skydome, yet they can't fix their garbage internet. Oh how can I forget this stupid bandwidth limit, they're clearly losing money there.

CrazyCanuck
I Plan to Stick Around

Love to say Rogers will follow through..

but i can't..i honestly dont think they give a **bleep**. Stop paying your bills and you get their attention real quick mind you..but be a good customer and pay your bills on time and silence is all you get.

I found the same problem..i live in a 2 bedroom apt...with nothing more then an uninsulated wall and 10 feet seperating me from the same router...Lets say i have had dialup faster. I hooked up and old Linksys 54 mbs wireless router and configured it..turned the one Rogers shoved down my throat into nothing more then a modem...and my speeds tripled + . 

But hey...Were supposed to take the new rate  increases with a straight face and silence..kind of the same reaction you give that akward moment the doctor wants to check your prostate....

but I guess Rogers has to pay for the Skydome somehow.. 😉

russelljwall
I've Been Here Awhile

It is fustrating, but I finally got the wireless working properly for me.

You have to do more than change the wireless mode to get the modem to work properly with wireless N. I get my full wireless speed on the internet (32mbps) and I get around 56 to 64 mbps over my home network. My settings are as follows (I've only listed the settings I changed).

Under Basic Settings

Wireless Mode: 11N Only

Encrytion

WPA Mode: WPA2-PSK

Cipher Type: AES

Advanced Settings:

Channel Bandwidth: 20

These settings have really improved my wireless speeds. Before I had to use 11G Only and I was only getting speeds of around 18mbps both on the intenet and on my home network and now I'm getting 32mbps on the internet and over 56mbps on my home network.

This also over doubled the transfer speeds I am getting on my HTC Sensation 4g over my wireless network. I use to get around 2.5mbps and now I'm getting 6mbps on my phone.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: After doing some more messing around it appears that the Channel Bandwidth setting is what is making the difference for me. I was able to have the wireless mode to mixed b/g/n and I still maintained my high transfer speeds.

@russelljwall:

I think yours is the first SMC D3GN posting in a long time which has included real, positive information on experiences with the device, and information that should help others that own it.

On behalf of others who will use it in the future, Thank You!

skinorth

how do i change these settings. i went to http://192.168.0.1/ and tried looking under every option but cannot find it. 

please help me

sezme
I've Been Around

Old thread, I know, but for anyone else who's looking up this info:

chittral asked: how do i change these settings. i went to http://192.168.0.1/ and tried looking under every option but cannot find it.

Under "Wireless" on the left you can find "Wireless Mode" and change that to "11G Only" or whatever works for you. Under "Wireless" > "Advanced Settings" you can find "Channel BandWidth" and switch that between "20" and "20/40".

russelljwall said that in his case he had the best speed with "N Only" and "20" under channel bandwidth. In my case, no N devices are on my network. If I set it for B/G/N Mixed, I get painfully slow speeds, so I set it to "G Only" and get reasonable speeds of ~27Mbps down. (Although the speeds are about twice as fast when I plug in to the ethernet jack.) I find if I switch from the default channel bandwith setting of "20/40" to "20" I only get about ~17Mbps down. So play around and see what works for you. I'm curious whether an N device will give me faster speeds.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert

N, does have the POTENTIAL for faster speeds, yes. (at least generaly speaking).. how this device handles the wireless with N is another story...
But using a 3rd party router, yes, my N devices get better speeds than a G one. (as long as they are in range, good enough signal, etc).

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I seem to be the only person here who has nothing to complain about SMC gateway. Had one for more than two years, used in gateway mode and wireless was perfect all the time...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert

Every person is different too.  The # of users on it.. the location of the modem, the area that it needs to reach, the way the house is designed, etc.

My house, wireless signals are CRAP.. but its because there are like 4 ibeams on every floor, etc.. just very bad signal permiation through the floors, etc.. the SMC alone just isnt enough.  (its also in the basement)
But on someone in a smaller setup, on main floor, it might be fine 🙂

darthwolf
I've Been Here Awhile

I tried using the Netgear WN3000RP-100PAS range extender hoping to get a decent reception in my basement, but couldn't connect to the router.   Has anyone tried using a range extender and get it working with the SMC router?

Not personaly here, no 😞  (most range extenders i have seen, usualy never quite work right)

IF feasable, and you are able to run wires partialy to at least close to where you need to go, another alternative, if you have a 3rd party modem, you can set one up, as an access point only.

flomar
I Plan to Stick Around
I have the same problem with my new modem ever since they forced me to replace the old one. I leave in a 2 bedroom Apt and the wireless is crap, I called many times ; i replaced with new one same crap, today the Car told me that wireless is not quarranted , so I am stuck, one of csr told me to buy a wireless router and bridge the rogers modem, but I am stuck because I have voip phone as home phone that are not working in bridge modem. Do you know other reliable internet providers?

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@flomar wrote:
I have the same problem with my new modem ever since they forced me to replace the old one. I leave in a 2 bedroom Apt and the wireless is crap, I called many times ; i replaced with new one same crap, today the Car told me that wireless is not quarranted.

How can a CSR tell you that wireless is not guranteed? According to Rogers, their modems:

• Delivers consistent speeds and signal strength throughout the home
  • Our best solution for homes with multiple computers, game consoles, or tablets
  • Combination of modem, home networking and router functions

If the CSR is correct, then Rogers is not being truthful in their advertising. 

It is really sad that a company like Rogers can go from providing a good solid modem to modems that receive complaints like yours (and many others)!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert

A voip phone SHOULD work while in bridge mode.. but there are possibilitys of other issues

One option, would be to turn off the wireless on the smc, and then set up your wireless router as just an access point to provide you wireless... but your SMC still does the routing, etc, and hopefully your VOIP would work then still fine.

Flomar: let me know if you wish to try this setup (it is the setup i use at my home, with the SMC, without an issue), and i can let you know more detailed instructions on how to set it up.

Now, we shouldnt HAVE to do this, if they provided a decent modem only, or a gateway that works as advertised.. i am just giving options to make it work with what you have.

As for other providers, there are many other ones out there, you just have to do your research.  Just keep an eye out on the hardware they use.  MANY of them, are providing gateways now only 😞 which all have similar performance.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Flomar, I can confirm that Voip phone might not work if you have your Rogers Gateway in bridged mode. I have a TekTalk Voip service from Teksavvyy And Internet from Rogers using Cisco 3825. For some reason when I tried to put Cisco in bridged mode, Voip stopped working, so I have to keep Cisco 3825 in gateway mode. I use 3rd party router for the wireless and don't really have a problem with the setup.

jbird
I Plan to Stick Around

I also have the Hiron Technologies SMCD3GN modem/router.  I don't get a strong signal into my backyard only just outside my back door onto my deck.   I bought a D-Link Wireless Range Extender based on the word of the IT salesperson at Staples that this would work with Rogers wireless router/modem.   I cannot get the extender to read with my network.   Anyone have any success with this?  I did call D-Link and they said that I have services stopped that should be started but they wouldn't tell me which ones but would charge me $99 to do it remotely and it would take 35 minutes.  

davidvilla
I've Been Around

Same Issuse with me, dont get enough signals from basement to upper rooms. Sometime the router doesnt give signal so i have restart it. Seriously thinking about moving to BELL. and wireless signals on any device is . .