cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMC D3GN wireless signal is garbage

uzishotz
I've Been Around

I am tired of this router/modem because it is completely garbage and i cannot not even connect from my room upstairs -.- does anyone know how to boost the sigal (if possible) if not then can I please know if there are any other routers that rogers has to offer because like I said before, this one sucks Smiley Mad

***edited labels***

22 REPLIES 22

Re: SMC D3GN wireless signal is garbage

CrazyCanuck
I Plan to Stick Around

Love to say Rogers will follow through..

but i can't..i honestly dont think they give a **bleep**. Stop paying your bills and you get their attention real quick mind you..but be a good customer and pay your bills on time and silence is all you get.

I found the same problem..i live in a 2 bedroom apt...with nothing more then an uninsulated wall and 10 feet seperating me from the same router...Lets say i have had dialup faster. I hooked up and old Linksys 54 mbs wireless router and configured it..turned the one Rogers shoved down my throat into nothing more then a modem...and my speeds tripled + . 

But hey...Were supposed to take the new rate  increases with a straight face and silence..kind of the same reaction you give that akward moment the doctor wants to check your prostate....

but I guess Rogers has to pay for the Skydome somehow.. 😉

russelljwall
I've Been Here Awhile

It is fustrating, but I finally got the wireless working properly for me.

You have to do more than change the wireless mode to get the modem to work properly with wireless N. I get my full wireless speed on the internet (32mbps) and I get around 56 to 64 mbps over my home network. My settings are as follows (I've only listed the settings I changed).

Under Basic Settings

Wireless Mode: 11N Only

Encrytion

WPA Mode: WPA2-PSK

Cipher Type: AES

Advanced Settings:

Channel Bandwidth: 20

These settings have really improved my wireless speeds. Before I had to use 11G Only and I was only getting speeds of around 18mbps both on the intenet and on my home network and now I'm getting 32mbps on the internet and over 56mbps on my home network.

This also over doubled the transfer speeds I am getting on my HTC Sensation 4g over my wireless network. I use to get around 2.5mbps and now I'm getting 6mbps on my phone.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: After doing some more messing around it appears that the Channel Bandwidth setting is what is making the difference for me. I was able to have the wireless mode to mixed b/g/n and I still maintained my high transfer speeds.

@russelljwall:

I think yours is the first SMC D3GN posting in a long time which has included real, positive information on experiences with the device, and information that should help others that own it.

On behalf of others who will use it in the future, Thank You!

skinorth

how do i change these settings. i went to http://192.168.0.1/ and tried looking under every option but cannot find it. 

please help me

sezme
I've Been Around

Old thread, I know, but for anyone else who's looking up this info:

chittral asked: how do i change these settings. i went to http://192.168.0.1/ and tried looking under every option but cannot find it.

Under "Wireless" on the left you can find "Wireless Mode" and change that to "11G Only" or whatever works for you. Under "Wireless" > "Advanced Settings" you can find "Channel BandWidth" and switch that between "20" and "20/40".

russelljwall said that in his case he had the best speed with "N Only" and "20" under channel bandwidth. In my case, no N devices are on my network. If I set it for B/G/N Mixed, I get painfully slow speeds, so I set it to "G Only" and get reasonable speeds of ~27Mbps down. (Although the speeds are about twice as fast when I plug in to the ethernet jack.) I find if I switch from the default channel bandwith setting of "20/40" to "20" I only get about ~17Mbps down. So play around and see what works for you. I'm curious whether an N device will give me faster speeds.