cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMC D3GN: Ethernet works, Wireless very shoddy

malcolmbastien
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey,

Has anyone experienced this problem before where a wired connection between the SMC D3GN works fine, but where the wireless connections are horrible? I'm getting pings in the 100s of milliseconds, and lots of packet loss.

I've had nothing but problems with this router ever since ever since I upgraded to Extreme Plus. I'm paying more, but have never felt like a company has ripped me off more than now.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SMC D3GN: Ethernet works, Wireless very shoddy

Yeah, it does seem like everyone is pretty much unhappy. After digging around and seeing it mentioned, I tried changing my wireless settings from B/G/N mixed to only B/G mixed and that seems to have fixed my wireless problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you check through this category, you will find about a half dozen threads already on the issue. It has been noted on several occasions by several posters that the SMC is seriously deficient when it comes to the wireless component!

Yeah, it does seem like everyone is pretty much unhappy. After digging around and seeing it mentioned, I tried changing my wireless settings from B/G/N mixed to only B/G mixed and that seems to have fixed my wireless problem.

View solution in original post

It is fustrating, but I finally got the wireless working properly for me.

You have to do more than change the wireless mode to get the modem to work properly with wireless N. I get my full wireless speed on the internet (32mbps) and I get around 56 to 64 mbps over my home network. My settings are as follows (I've only listed the settings I changed).

Under Basic Settings

Wireless Mode: 11N Only

Encrytion

WPA Mode: WPA2-PSK

Cipher Type: AES

Advanced Settings:

Channel Bandwidth: 20

These settings have really improved my wireless speeds. Before I had to use 11G Only and I was only getting speeds of around 18mbps both on the intenet and on my home network and now I'm getting 32mbps on the internet and over 56mbps on my home network.

This also over doubled the transfer speeds I am getting on my HTC Sensation 4g over my wireless network. I use to get around 2.5mbps and now I'm getting 6mbps on my phone.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: After doing some more messing around it appears that the Channel Bandwidth setting is what is making the difference for me. I was able to have the wireless mode to mixed b/g/n and I still maintained my high transfer speeds.

Thank you russelljwall. Setting channel bandwidth to 20 solved my WiFi speed problem.
Had been running @54Mbps for 2 years without problem. Something changed (I noticed the modem had been rebooted 6 days earlier) and (though it would connect @54Mbps) speed quickly dropped - I couldn't get better than 1Mbps reliably.
Changing bandwidth did the trick. Back to 54Mbps and able to run www.speedtest.com repeatedly at full speed.