SMC 3DGN in Bridge Mode - Problems with router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

SMC 3DGN in Bridge Mode - Problems with router

Hey guys,

So I was having problems with my previous setup with the SMC 3DGN and my Linksys WRT400N so I decided to put the SMC into bridge mode using advice I found here. Everything seemed to work great. However, after a couple days I started getting problems with wifi devices being unable to connect to the router. They were connected but would all have limited or no connectivity. I would power cycle the router 1-3 times and it would eventually work. During this time my hard wire connection would always stay connected and work perfectly.

Fast forward to last night. Problems with wifi devices connecting so I power cycle the router and it never works again. I can't even connect the the linksys web interface any more. Wired connection to my PC does not work any more either. There is an eternet cable going from port 1 on the SMC to the Internet port on the router.  Internet works when I plug ethernet directly into SMC so I decide it must be a router problem.This is where it gets interesting. I hook up my trusty old WRT54G that has always worked perfectly, power cycle everything and have the exact same problem. Somehow there is no internet going from the modem to the router. I am completely stumped at this point.

Does anyone have any tips for resolving this? I have an ASUS AC66U router that is wrapped for me for Christmas but I am tempted to open it early and test to see if it works. 

Thank you so much for any help.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: SMC 3DGN in Bridge Mode - Problems with router

How is the SMC generally regarded? It seems like I have had a lot of problems the last couple of years I have had it. I have been reading about the Cisco DPC3825 and it seems decent. Maybe I should give Rogers a call and see if they have any in my area. Again, this could all be due to the router also because the SMC works when plugged directly into the PC. Ugh this is so frustrating. Again, any advice at all is highly welcome.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

from the sounds of it that your two other modems stoped working.. sounds like your SMC went back into gateway mode, rather than bridged.

When connected to the gateway itself, are you able to go to ITS menu via 192.168.0.1??

I personally have the SMC.. and its been solid for me.. but i have had it in gateway mode, but with wireless off, and using my own linksys e2500 as just an AP

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply!

Is it possible for the modem to just switch back into gateway mode on it's own?

If so this may have caused a problem because for some reason I set the Linksys to 192.168.0.1 instead of the default 192.168.1.1

When I get home I will connect to the SMC itself and see if I get the menu at 192.168.0.1 and reply with the findings.

If this continues maybe I will just put it back into gateway mode and use my new router as an AP.

How do you reactive gateway mode on the SMC modem once it's been set into bridge mode?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If there was a firmware push or something from rogers end, it could cause it to reset out of gateway mode.

To revert it, you just need to do a HARD reset on it. (should be hold the reset down for a good 15 seconds).

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks GDkitty.

We actually performed hard resets on both the SMC Modem and the Linksys Router and set up the router as an access point. Everything seems to be working great right now. We disabled the wireless on the modem and disabled the DHCP server on the modem. Is there any other settings that should be changed?

Does it matter which device we use for wired connections? Both the router and modem seem to be giving internet connections through the LAN ports.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The other ports on the modem, will act like a SWITCH.. so you should be fine, to do both.

This is one of the reasons, i use the router as an AP setup.  Prior with the regular older modem (pre gateway), it was in the basement.  Then a long run, up to the living room where the router was (for better wireless coverage).  But my office was back downstairs... so ANOTHER long run back down, over to the office, etc.  A bit of a pain.
With leaving the gateway as it is.. i am able to just to do the shorter run over to the office there, and just one long run to the living room.

I myself, have left the DHCP ON on the gateway, and OFF on the router... though i dont see why it shouldnt work your way as well.  If you do run into some issues, try switching it the other way around.

Not sure how/what you have set your IPs of your gateway/router to.  Best bet, is set them on BOTH the same range, just different IPs.. and then you can access management on both.
192.168.0.1 on the gateway

192.168.0.2 on the linksys 

for example.

I'm Here A Lot

I made a mistake, we do have the DHCP disabled on the Linksys Router.

Also, we have the IP of the modem set to 192.168.0.1 and the Linksys is 192.168.0.2 just like you said.

Everything still seems to be working great so fingers crossed.

The thing is I am pretty sure this is the setup we had a few months ago that started to give us problems. It ultimately lead me to reading here about bridge mode and trying that. Bridge mode worked for a while and then started to cause problems, so it's kind of a vicious cycle.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I will get back on here if any problems pop up.