cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM Corby Pro - GPS ???

pminister
I've Been Around

How does one get aGPS access on this device, because I can't find it in the menus. B/c when you choose GPS on the rogers website, this phone shows in the results. And the Samsung website states it has the aGPS feature as well.

Has anyone tried it, and how do you acquire it ?

***edited labels***

30 REPLIES 30

Re: SM Corby Pro - GPS ???

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey pminister,

Thanks for joining our forums!

Any of our community members have another suggestion?

Here's a tip, on GPS, you have to wait for it to lock on to satellite signals.

You can check:

1. Settings

2. Phone Settings 

3. GPS Settings

4. GPS position

In this screen you'll find "Satellite status", here you can see the no of satellite signal your Corby is receiving. Take about 2 mins to lock on. And yes, you have to be under a open sky where you can receive clear signal. Indoor is no use. No satellite based GPS works indoor. The GPS+ settings under GPS Settings allows you to download data about the satellites from the net, for faster calculation of your position for which you need the internet on your phone.

Does this help?

BillC
I've Been Here Awhile

Erin I'm having this problem also. My Corby Pro does not have a GPS Settings Menu Item under the Phone Settings. How do I enable the GPS feature? Thanks.

RogersErin

Hi BillC,

I will look into this and get back to you, thanks for your patience.

RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Internet access is required to have the GPS function in the Corby Pro activate. If you are not sure if you have data, try to browse, if browsing works GPS should be enabled.

If you are still experiencing issues or missing icons try a battery pull. If the issue persists you would need to contact Samsung at 1-800-726-7864 and follow their steps to get the GPS up and running. 

If your device is defective they will refer you back to us.

BillC
I've Been Here Awhile

Jean, I had already tried to obtain my GPS position as Erin described while having Internet access (both through Wifi and later a Daily Data Plan) but I still did not have these menu options. I subsequently contacted Samsung Customer Care as you suggested and their agent advised that Rogers had to activate this feature. I then contacted your wireless technical support to have the feature activated and your agent said that Samsung had not provided Rogers with the software to utilize the GPS feature. Your technical expert also advised that there was no date for delivery of this software. From additional searching of the Internet, it seems that the directions that Erin provided comes from the UK version of the User Guide but this feature has been removed from the Canadian model. While, the GPS position feature is available elsewhere, it does not seem to be available in Canada contrary to Samsung and Rogers advertising.

asdfjkl2211
I've Been Here Awhile

I just Got the Samsung Corby Pro GT-B5310R specifically for WIFI and it's GPS / AGPS feature.

The GPS feature is missing and this is a true Downfall furthermore a false advertisement provided by both Rogers and Samsung.

Also cannot access GPS nor see GPS settings on Rogers Corby Pro. Why advertise a disabled feature? Every other carrier has this enabled. Will this be enabled soon?

nevinxu
I've Been Around
I cannot find the GPS setting in menu, either. Anyone can get it up?

patratcan
I've Been Around

I have the same problem... Just got it and I cant find it anywhere.  Any update on this?

dpen
I Plan to Stick Around

I just bought a Corby Pro and I don't plan on using the GPS but I have looked into it a bit and I think you need to subscribe to the GPS service for $10 per month, download the app, and posibly also subscribe to data service of some kind. Here is a link to the page with some of the info.

asdfjkl2211
I've Been Here Awhile

Do not subscribe to the 10$ GPS NAV it is not for this phone.

This phone does not have GPS it has A-GPS (assisted-GPS that uses cellphone towers not GPS Satellites)

You do need a browsing plan for quick msging devices to access online. (or pay per use)

Go go Google.com and download and install the latest Google Maps.

In Google Maps You will have access to assited GPS (A-GPS) - sometimes it works other times it doesn't

You will be able to see a RADIUS maybe 3000 meter radius of your estimated Location. (it is like 10 blocks)

It is not acurate (being such a big radius) but it does tell you the area your in.

there are no settings to adjust or to turn on GPS. because it is using cellphone towers and not GPS Satelites

Rogers CS has no idea about this phones features yet and will only tell you to search online for more....

Google Maps is the answer i've tested and confirmed works on my Samsung Corby Pro GT-R5310.

WiseD
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

The $10 per month GPS application is not available for your device. The GPS service is for an application called TeleNav which according to the below link is only compatible with one model of Samsung phone (SAM i616 Jack).

http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/devices/rogers.html#8

Cheers

fleeterbuzz
I Plan to Stick Around

Please tell me how to make GPS Settings and GPS Position appear in my Corby Pro.  Tech support was unable to help via telephone.

Thanks!

fleeterbuzz
I Plan to Stick Around
Is that the correct model #? Mine is a GT-B5310R.

asdfjkl2211
I've Been Here Awhile
Sorry about that, I did not realize the model i entered was wrong,

Yes it is the GT-B5310R.

And again use google maps to make use of A-GPS. (My location)

There are No settings. and No subscriptions that can help you or your phone.

Other maps who work like google maps will work too but what ones i dont know.. trial and error.

kitkatkelly
I Plan to Stick Around

When I was looking into buying the Corby Pro, I asked about GPS (as it's advertised on the rogers website) and was told that it doesn't have GPS capabilities. Glad I talked to a human being before I bought it.

tlshaw2000
I've Been Here Awhile

I noticed in the listings about gps, I when to getjar.com has lots of great apps you can download to your phone, one of them is google maps gps its awesome.  Just thought I would pass this along for anyone with a Corby Pro

fleeterbuzz
I Plan to Stick Around

I downloaded Google Maps, but the GPS (or A-GPS) does NOT WORK.  It only gives you maps, much like on a regular computer w/ internet.  If you set a  'home' location, it defaults to this location, but it will not use GPS or AGPS to locate you, on a browsing plan or not... I was told by Rogers that AGPS is a feature of the phone, I have been told by Samsung that AGPS is a feature of this phone, BUT NOBODY CAN TELL ME HOW TO GET IT TO WORK.  This is my final attempt before asking for a replacement/refund.  I assume this is a case of false advertising, where nobody wants to take responsibility to solve the problem.  I've read numerous forums from Europe/Asia where people have no problem finding the 'GPS SETTINGS', which none of us can find.  Please email me at jerhastings at hotmail dot com if you have a solution or want to organize a formal 'group' complaint.

fleeterbuzz
I Plan to Stick Around
I was told the exact opposite, both by Rogers, and Samsung.

fleeterbuzz
I Plan to Stick Around
Please share your experience. When you're at Starbucks or Tim's, does 'Google Maps' automatically find your location?
Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 13 in conversation