SLOW internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

SLOW internet

I think this is the right spot to post this.

my internet has been very slow for the past couple days. I have a NetComm rounter, and the signal strength has been low. any other time the signal is either medium or high. sometimes over the past couple days it doesn't work at all and I have to disconnect and then reconnect again.

I have read some people on twitter complaining about Rogers internet being so slow as well, so I don't think it can be something on my end.

I'm just wonder why Rogers internet is so slow, and is this something that will be fixed soon?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: SLOW internet

this is weird.

ok so this NetComm router for the RocketHub has 3 atenas. there are 2 longer ones and 1 short one. from left to right I have short, long, long. so all I did was switch the 2 long ones, and when I connected I now have medium signal strength. I had the atenas off on the weekend (can't even remember why). seems odd that simply switching the 2 identical long atenas would increase the signal strength. but that did it.

thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers inetnet, can be slow OR fast.  Mine is consistantly good, but i am also not in an overly overcrowded/populated area.. people living in a more desnely populated area, deal with overselling and congestion sometimes, which can slow down the internet.
IF this is possibly part of what is effecting you.. there is not much that can be done, they need to stop overselling, of do major upgrades on the network to be able to handle it.

Now, you say you have netcomm router.  This would be the first thing to check, etc.
You say your signal strength goes up and down (or fully drops out).. if you are not moving locations, etc.... this could lead that it is actualy an issue with the wireless on the router there itself.

(just comparatively, my wireless router, has been connected for.. almost a year? and never had to reboot it once yet, always am able to connect from all my devices (phones, laptop. etc))
This does sound more where your issue may be stemming from.

Now, it may not be convienent, where you are setup, but are you able to take the device (if its a laptop, game system, etc) and plug it hard wired into the router and test it wired?  That will illiminate if its purely a wireless issue.
Also as well, removing the netcomm router, and running it straight into the modem, would illiminate routing issues from the router alltogether.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have had this NetComm rounter for maybe 2 years now. I don't think I've ever had a low signal strength.

there have been times here and there were there was no signal at all, which I think was for everyone, but that is usually fixed within a day or so.

I always use it in the same room, on my desk.

the rounter is the only thing I use to connect to the internet, it has a cord that connects to the computer. I guess it pulls the signal from the air.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

AH! ok, you are talking about one of the ROCKETHUB, wireless internet router. 
Not a land line internet.

Sorry, was confused, thinking that it was in here, that you are on a regular wifi router (that netcomm makes them as well).
(I will ask a mod to move this thread to the right section).

Might help, in the long run (especialy if a mod comes and is able to look into anything), with the following info:

Where are you located? (rough city is even enough)

Is this specific time of day? Or can be anytime.

They MAY have changed how/where the towers are running in the area.. and you are not receiving as much of a signal from the cell towers anymore.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

yes rockethub.

I wasn't sure what section to post this in.

I do live out in the middle of the country. but I have never had a problem with low signal before. it's at any time of the day. morning, afternoon, evening.

I was assuming because I saw other peple commenting online about slow Rogers internet, that it wasn't just something from my end.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Time to call Customer Service.  They can look at your router from the tower you are using.  Chances are you may need an antenna but before getting into an expense call them for help.  Have you tried shutting the unit off (unplugged from hydro) overnight to let it cool down?   Is the unit sitting near a window or up off the desk for better signal?  Your problem may be what I had, over crowded tower.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

this is weird.

ok so this NetComm router for the RocketHub has 3 atenas. there are 2 longer ones and 1 short one. from left to right I have short, long, long. so all I did was switch the 2 long ones, and when I connected I now have medium signal strength. I had the atenas off on the weekend (can't even remember why). seems odd that simply switching the 2 identical long atenas would increase the signal strength. but that did it.

thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Could be different gain antennas.. so have a different range on them.
Omni vs bi vs single directional, etc.

Glad to hear that seems to have helped though!