SCP fails with Rogers modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

SCP fails with Rogers modem

I have recently installed Rogers Hi-Speed internet and a Cisco DPC3825.

Since this switch from BELL DSL to Rogers I have been unable to download weekly backups from my off-site linux server using the SCP protocol.  

I get an error "Corrupted MAC on input.Disconnecting: Packet corrupt lost connection"

Which really means == "The 'MAC' in this error message actually means 'Message Authentication Code' rather than 'Media Access Control' and a corrupted MAC in SSH means that, as the error message also states, a data packet has either been corrupted in transit possibly done intentionally by an attacker, although much more likely caused by bad hardware (or a bad NIC driver) somewhere in between you and the server. If the hardware and other network equipment check out on both ends, then the SSH packets could also be corrupted in transit by a network provider."

Having checked all my hardware NICs and cables and confirming that the transfer works from locations other than my home, I'm certain the problem is either A) the modem, or B) some other fault in the Rogers network.

Of course the easiest thing to do is go get another modem from Rogers. I understand the local store has 3 modems available, the Cisco, Hitron and SMC modems. 

I guess my question is if anyone has any opinion as to whether or not one will be more likely than another to deliver a fix for this issue.

TIA, jim

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: SCP fails with Rogers modem

Just to update.

I went to the store and got another Cisco modem to try. 

Worse than before.

Now my connection stalls constantly. Even just surfing pages, every 5 or so requests will stall. The only solution is to stop and reload which works every time.

As for file uploads and downloads of any size over ssh, scp or ftp you can forget that.

Of course tech support can't do anything really, the lady I spoke with yesterday did a factory reset of the modem and as usual everything looks good from her end. I asked her about the other modem choices, she basically told me that they all have issues, take your pick.

I am going to get yet another modem, maybe the 3rd time will be the charm. Man Mad

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. i have an FTP set up at home, turn it on when i need to transfer files between work and home, and it DOES work.
I had it set up on the Cisco before, but am now on the SMC and it works there.
Might be worth trying another brand one if you are able to.

The other next thing, would be the usualy standby to fix alot of issue sometimes... is bridged mode.
Changing to bridge mode changes that unit into a modem only, and then use a 3rd party router for firewall, wireless, DHCP, access control, etc.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks will likely try those other solutions (different modem, bridge mode) if the next Cisco doesn't help.

• I can no longer reliably upload (edit) small text files on my server from here
  • never mind upload 5MB files
  • forget about downloading 2GB server backups.

I'll keep updating this until it works, or until I go crawling back to Bell.

I Plan to Stick Around

Are you using another router in front of the rogers gateway and double NAT'ing?

or have you ever modified any MTU settings on your PC? DSL has different MTU sizes and your PC could be fragmenting the packets causing SSH/SCP to freak out.

I'm Here A Lot

@sbenninger

No and No.

The Hardware setup (Mavericks) is configured "Automatically"

Speed:    1000baseT

Duplex:    full-duplex,flow-control

MTU:       Standard (1500)

AVB/EAV Mode ON

I'll I have done is change the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4

I Plan to Stick Around

Have you tried turning off SPI (statefull packet inspection) in the firewall settings. I had that gateway once I recall it was much more stable with SPI disabled. It could be mistaking if for one of the many other devices I have used but either way that is a good place to start.

I'm Here A Lot

The modem security section has

IPSec Passthrough   Enabled

PPTP Passthrough   Enabled

SPI Firewall Protection   Enabled

All options are off excpet Block Anonymous Internet Requests

I Plan to Stick Around

Try setting the SPI firewall protection to disabled. I think the router will reboot when you make the change then try again.
I'm Here A Lot

I just came back with the CGN3.

So far (I fear typing this) things are good.

I just downloaded 2 backups from my server via SCP. (6 uninterrupted GBs)

Web browsing from my wired connection is consistent.

I can ftp (SFTP) without any issues.

I guess the $4 a month is worth having service that finally works. Smiley Frustrated

Now let's see how the wireless goes . . . I'm being told by the gamer in the house that it's not great. I'll check out the other threads about that.