cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SB5101N not supported?

PatrickTayao
I've Been Around

Can someone explain why Rogers cannot activate my Motorola SB5101N modem? I purchased this modem brand new from Canada Computers and when I called Rogers, they cannot find or add the serial number that is in the modem. 

Is this device supported or not? Rogers claim that we can use our own modem and when we do, they cannot add the register the device to the system?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SB5101N not supported?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

RogersDarrel Maybe you should read all the links i have provided. Each comment is made from a different mod on here in which says it should work. Also googling it would show you it should work as well.  I have had the same modem as him when Rogers offered it to me 2 years ago. I changed it to a SMC ( which i regret). Rogers does support it. I just called & spoke to them. That model number he gave tells me it works. If those tech support agents & Manager i spoke to are wrong then maybe Rogers should look into it but i really believe it works. Look below for more info.

"Motorola - SB5100
Motorola - SB5101
Motorola - SB5120
Webstar - DPC2100
Webstar - DPX2100
SMC - SMC8014WG
SMC - D3GN-RRR
Cisco - DPC2325

Any models outside of the ones listed above cannot be added, i.e. the Motorola SB6120"

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2923...

Here is another one with the same Model number as his ( minus the N but i have contacted Motorola & they said they are the same.)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2709...

Also this is what another Rogers rep online said as wel. His name is RogersHemal.

"Any SB5101 can get added into our system as long as our system can take the MAC address of the product.  I have confirmed this with our Care customer chat.  You can access them to get your modem added via this link.  http://www.rogershelp.com/customerserv/cuscare.htm"

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2923...

So which Rogers rep is saying the truth & which is not?. This comment is not taken as Rude or anything so mods can not see it as that way. I am just showing the reps & what others are saying on the forums.

***Update***

Motorola SB5101 has both USB and Ethernet ports whereas Motorola SB5101N has only an Ethernet port. Other than that, there is no difference between them.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Patrick,

At this time we only support the SMC and Cisco D3 modems available at our Retail locations.

Thanks, RogersDarrell

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

RogersDarrel Maybe you should read all the links i have provided. Each comment is made from a different mod on here in which says it should work. Also googling it would show you it should work as well.  I have had the same modem as him when Rogers offered it to me 2 years ago. I changed it to a SMC ( which i regret). Rogers does support it. I just called & spoke to them. That model number he gave tells me it works. If those tech support agents & Manager i spoke to are wrong then maybe Rogers should look into it but i really believe it works. Look below for more info.

"Motorola - SB5100
Motorola - SB5101
Motorola - SB5120
Webstar - DPC2100
Webstar - DPX2100
SMC - SMC8014WG
SMC - D3GN-RRR
Cisco - DPC2325

Any models outside of the ones listed above cannot be added, i.e. the Motorola SB6120"

Here is another one with the same Model number as his ( minus the N but i have contacted Motorola & they said they are the same.)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2709...

Also this is what another Rogers rep online said as wel. His name is RogersHemal.

"Any SB5101 can get added into our system as long as our system can take the MAC address of the product.  I have confirmed this with our Care customer chat.  You can access them to get your modem added via this link.  http://www.rogershelp.com/customerserv/cuscare.htm"

So which Rogers rep is saying the truth & which is not?. This comment is not taken as Rude or anything so mods can not see it as that way. I am just showing the reps & what others are saying on the forums.

***Update***

Motorola SB5101 has both USB and Ethernet ports whereas Motorola SB5101N has only an Ethernet port. Other than that, there is no difference between them.

@RogersDarrell

Patrick has made a valid point. You can talk to a number of different CSRs or read posts from a number of Rogers moderators and no two Rogers employees will ever give you the same answer. It is like the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing!

Regarding your own post: "At this time we only support the SMC and Cisco D3 modems available at our Retail locations." Are you telling us that even though we are paying $4 a month to rent a Motorola modem from Rogers, that this modem is not supported by Rogers? Why are customers renting a non-supported modem? I keep my D2 modem because it is trouble free and not a piece of cr*ap like the D3 modems you do support.

And why is it Darrell that a stand-alone D3 modem is not supported by Rogers? First, some customers may not need wireless but must pay more for the gateways. Second, if you do need wireless and are forced to use a gateway SMC or Cisco, chances are you still need to purchase your own router since the wireless component is often useless! So what is the point, other than Rogers entering into some kind of deal with the manufacturers of these piece of junk modems and receiving some kind of kickback! When will Rogers ever put the customer as number ONE?

I have not seen rogers give out the moterola modem in a LONG time, to new customers (i do alot of setup for people as part of my side business).. at least in my area.  But i know my father in law, who got internet a while back, has a moterola one.

Its quite possible, as RogersDarrell said, that they only support the other ones now... that they are not longer giving out/using the moterola ones for other connections.  Any legacy users still with one, it will work, but they are not setting up new ones for people.

They are trying to get people to use the newer Cisco D3, etc ones, as to get the faster internet.  While i agree that the router part of it is CRAP.. i have myself noticed a speed increase with the Cisco (and a seperate router).

As for Meowmixes links.. as it says in them, those modems did work, were able to be used.
Those links, are also starting about a year ago, or earlier.  It is quite possible the policy as to WHAT they allow, has changed since those posts.. so that information in them may not be relivent anymore. (this is why many forums dont encourage bumping OLD OLD posts, as the info can be outdated).

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
True but when i spoke to a few Rogers tech support agents and told them about those links they told me they are still valid and are the same rules as of now. So if they are lying to me then thats a problem but ill believe them seeing as i did have that modem until 2 months ago when i changed it for the pther one ( which i really regret) and Rogers was still able to support it. Yea they came out with other ones but the people that still use those are still getting support from Rogers. I know many people that still have it and works fine. Also my first link that i provided and the mod that said it was dates 3/16/2011. Which is only 11 months ago. Same goes with the other links. The arent that old and IF rogers stopped supporting them i am sure they would have told its costumers about it seeing as hundres or thousands use it.

In technology terms, 11 months can be a BIG difference some times.

Again, its not the lack of support for it.. its the lack of supporting NEW ones.  They will still allow the usage of them, as many customers have them, and are not forcing them to change, etc... but they could choose not to support any NEW ones on their network, to try and phase them out as they can.

Think of it kinda like a windows invironment at a place.  You'll have machines with XP, Vista, and 7 potentialy currently. (heck, maybe even older).  All of them will still work and connect to the internal network (usualy).. but when someone goes out to buy a new PC from retail, you couldnt go out and ask give me one with XP.. they dont have that anymore, just 7.  But it doesnt mean the XP ones will just suddenly stop working.

This is one possibility... i could be wrong.

Best thing i could sugest to the OP.. is to call back to support again.  Do it a few times if you have to.  Each time, most likely you will get different techs.  By the time you have reached a number of them, and if they are all giving you the same answer.. it is most likely the right one at that point.

DWR
I Plan to Stick Around

Still no response from RogersDarrel as to WHY a stand alone D3 modem is not available!

Yup - 3 weeks ago I asked RogersDarrell about the modems and no reply. All we ever get on here is the typical canned response: "At this time we only support the SMC and Cisco D3 modems available at our Retail locations. Thanks, RogersDarrell"

Thanks for nothing RogersDarrel!

What you are expecting from them?

They say they only support those modems.. so that is the final answer.

It is there company, their infrastucture, their support people.. they may only choose to support specific things, to make sure the support is euqal across the board... you expect them to have training on every possible modem a person could pontenialy have? 

The cisco, while not perfect, functions perfectly fine as a modem/basic router.  I have port forwarding for multiple apps set up all fine.. the only thing thats crap about it, is the wireless.  Turn wireless off, and use a seperate router (as you would do with a regular modem), and your fine.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Gdkitty wrote:

the only thing thats crap about it, is the wireless.  Turn wireless off, and use a separate router (as you would do with a regular modem), and your fine.

Thanks for helping me make my point Gdkitty! The customer should not have to turn off the wireless and provide their own router. This defeats the whole purpose of using a gateway modem. 

I am not asking Rogers to provide support "on every possible modem a person could potentially have". I am asking for one stand alone D3 modem. If you are going to have to provide your own router anyway, a stand alone D3 makes a lot more sense than the current gateways that only half work. It is like buying a new pair of pants with only one leg!

My problem with the Rogers mods on here is that they never actually address the issue. Sure they tell you that only the SMC and Cisco are currently supported, but they never explain why and they never address the issue of why a stand alone D3 modem is not under consideration or if it ever will be. Yes it is their company, but that company has customers and customer satisfaction should be one of their priorities!

While yes i agree, that customer satisfaction should be a priority.. it doesnt mean that they need to do EVERYTHING that people ask.

Truthfuly, if you look at it, in the BIG picture, of ALL rogers users.. lets just pick a round number of 500,000 (no clue what the actual numbers are, just using it as an example).  There are maybe 2000, 5000 people probably MAX that really would care about a seperate modem... its not often an issue i have ever heard come up, except for a few select people here.

Thats 1%.

Is it worth the extra time, training, obtaining of the hardware, etc.. for that 1%.

The majority of rogers users.. are very BASIC users.. they are on their computer on facebook, check their emails, maybe a little bit of online gaming though their xbox... most probably have a higher internet level than they need..  These users are very simple, and dont NEED anything more than these solutions normaly..
For a basic user, to be told they just take this home, plug it in, and you connect everything to it, and thats it!  They are excited, that they dont have to have multiple peices of  harware.

Its only when you  have higher end users, that they come down to the pickyness, that its not a great unit... but those people usualy have enough technical experience to be able to do work arounds anyways.

And actualy, i do like that its a gateway as well as having my seperate router.  I have the 'modem' downstairs, running a patch cable up a floor to the router... but for my stuff back down in the basement, had to run patches back down.   Now with the built in ports, i can network stuff directly to there, and stuff from the router.. free 3 extra ports 🙂

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

If you want to look at the BIG picture, it is this. Rogers is charging an extra $3 a month for a router that does not work. It does not matter how many customers are involved, they are being charged for something that does not function properly. Also, for the many basic customers that you mention, thay may in fact be paying for a router they do not need, but if they want the increased speed, they have no choice. A standalone D3 modem would definitely be a viable option.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right.. but you said it right there.. they are getting the increased speed.

So for the $3 they are getting something extra per month.
Even if they offered a seperate d3 modem, due to its 'extra capabailities' of the speed, etc.. probably costs more to buy, etc.. it would likely be offered at the same price anyways 😛

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

No - they are getting the increased speed because they are paying for the added cost of a better internet package, such as getting extreme instead of express. The extra $3 charge is for a router that comes with a modem. If they only have to go out and buy their own router as well, that extra $3 per month is wasted. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The only way you can get the increased speed and the speed boost is by using that unit, and no plan price change, so you are paying for something.

dsharp
I Plan to Stick Around

I, as well, was told by tech support I could add this modem as I stood in front of Tiger Direct to purchase. He even asked his manager which said yes, they could add it. After purchasing, sat on the phone with Customer Fullfillment for almost 3 hours as they tried to "find" the serial number.

My own logic says that they cannot possibly have every serial number for every cable modem in the world. Why not do as other cable companies and just add the mac address.

But, their customer fullfiment guy is just some non-tech, sitting in a cubical making $65/hour, activating cel phones and modems.

"Hmmm, is there a dash anywhere in that serial number?"

ugggh

dsharp
I Plan to Stick Around

and.... wanted to add that on our brand new 3 day old Cisco gateway that a tech swapped us too trying to fix our internet, the wireless is pooched. Get 0.1mb/s up and down from 2ft away.

So, have to get another gateway, be the 5th one in 2 weeks. At least our internet is finally up lol.

yeslaser
I've Been Here Awhile

I also got a Motorola SB5102 from Canadacomputers. It did not work.  I went to a Rogers Store, the guys seached their computers, said SB5100, 5101, 5101N all work for Rogers Internet Express or lower speed.  But they did not work for higher speed internet.  So, I want to buy  SB5101N now. Anyone tried SB5101N that compatible with Rogers?  I really hate doing rental modem. 

I think that its been covered in this thread (or it could be one of the others).

Rogers is moving away from those modems.  While they are grandfathering people who still have them, they are not giving out any new ones (not able to activate them).. so this will probably go for any externaly purchaced one.. they will not be able to activate any one that is not already added.

I suspect that you noticed a speed improvement is because of the fact that the Cisco D3 is a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem and the motorola is a 2.0 which I have myself.  Funny thing is last night my adapter went kaput and I need to find another one.  BTW rogers stores here in Ontario do still have the Motorola SB5101N series modem available as mentioned by the support staff at rogers who I called this morning.  I will find out today if this is true as I too dislike SMC's cheap products and would prefer a modem only as I control most of my router settings on a customized linksys router.  Good luck with your search!