SB5101N not supported?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: SB5101N not supported?

Gdkitty wrote:

the only thing thats crap about it, is the wireless.  Turn wireless off, and use a separate router (as you would do with a regular modem), and your fine.

Thanks for helping me make my point Gdkitty! The customer should not have to turn off the wireless and provide their own router. This defeats the whole purpose of using a gateway modem. 

I am not asking Rogers to provide support "on every possible modem a person could potentially have". I am asking for one stand alone D3 modem. If you are going to have to provide your own router anyway, a stand alone D3 makes a lot more sense than the current gateways that only half work. It is like buying a new pair of pants with only one leg!

My problem with the Rogers mods on here is that they never actually address the issue. Sure they tell you that only the SMC and Cisco are currently supported, but they never explain why and they never address the issue of why a stand alone D3 modem is not under consideration or if it ever will be. Yes it is their company, but that company has customers and customer satisfaction should be one of their priorities!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While yes i agree, that customer satisfaction should be a priority.. it doesnt mean that they need to do EVERYTHING that people ask.

Truthfuly, if you look at it, in the BIG picture, of ALL rogers users.. lets just pick a round number of 500,000 (no clue what the actual numbers are, just using it as an example).  There are maybe 2000, 5000 people probably MAX that really would care about a seperate modem... its not often an issue i have ever heard come up, except for a few select people here.

Thats 1%.

Is it worth the extra time, training, obtaining of the hardware, etc.. for that 1%.

The majority of rogers users.. are very BASIC users.. they are on their computer on facebook, check their emails, maybe a little bit of online gaming though their xbox... most probably have a higher internet level than they need..  These users are very simple, and dont NEED anything more than these solutions normaly..
For a basic user, to be told they just take this home, plug it in, and you connect everything to it, and thats it!  They are excited, that they dont have to have multiple peices of  harware.

Its only when you  have higher end users, that they come down to the pickyness, that its not a great unit... but those people usualy have enough technical experience to be able to do work arounds anyways.

And actualy, i do like that its a gateway as well as having my seperate router.  I have the 'modem' downstairs, running a patch cable up a floor to the router... but for my stuff back down in the basement, had to run patches back down.   Now with the built in ports, i can network stuff directly to there, and stuff from the router.. free 3 extra ports 🙂

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

If you want to look at the BIG picture, it is this. Rogers is charging an extra $3 a month for a router that does not work. It does not matter how many customers are involved, they are being charged for something that does not function properly. Also, for the many basic customers that you mention, thay may in fact be paying for a router they do not need, but if they want the increased speed, they have no choice. A standalone D3 modem would definitely be a viable option.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right.. but you said it right there.. they are getting the increased speed.

So for the $3 they are getting something extra per month.
Even if they offered a seperate d3 modem, due to its 'extra capabailities' of the speed, etc.. probably costs more to buy, etc.. it would likely be offered at the same price anyways 😛

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

No - they are getting the increased speed because they are paying for the added cost of a better internet package, such as getting extreme instead of express. The extra $3 charge is for a router that comes with a modem. If they only have to go out and buy their own router as well, that extra $3 per month is wasted. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only way you can get the increased speed and the speed boost is by using that unit, and no plan price change, so you are paying for something.

dsharp
I Plan to Stick Around

I, as well, was told by tech support I could add this modem as I stood in front of Tiger Direct to purchase. He even asked his manager which said yes, they could add it. After purchasing, sat on the phone with Customer Fullfillment for almost 3 hours as they tried to "find" the serial number.

My own logic says that they cannot possibly have every serial number for every cable modem in the world. Why not do as other cable companies and just add the mac address.

But, their customer fullfiment guy is just some non-tech, sitting in a cubical making $65/hour, activating cel phones and modems.

"Hmmm, is there a dash anywhere in that serial number?"

ugggh

dsharp
I Plan to Stick Around

and.... wanted to add that on our brand new 3 day old Cisco gateway that a tech swapped us too trying to fix our internet, the wireless is pooched. Get 0.1mb/s up and down from 2ft away.

So, have to get another gateway, be the 5th one in 2 weeks. At least our internet is finally up lol.

yeslaser
I've Been Here Awhile

I also got a Motorola SB5102 from Canadacomputers. It did not work.  I went to a Rogers Store, the guys seached their computers, said SB5100, 5101, 5101N all work for Rogers Internet Express or lower speed.  But they did not work for higher speed internet.  So, I want to buy  SB5101N now. Anyone tried SB5101N that compatible with Rogers?  I really hate doing rental modem. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think that its been covered in this thread (or it could be one of the others).

Rogers is moving away from those modems.  While they are grandfathering people who still have them, they are not giving out any new ones (not able to activate them).. so this will probably go for any externaly purchaced one.. they will not be able to activate any one that is not already added.